Avg before a band?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Avg before a band?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:37 pm

How many birds do you average in between bands? I have shot tons of ducks and still nothing. Only have seen one taken in my hunting party. Just wondering if I am cursed or if this is normal.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:00 pm

My first 3 years I shot 1 band...my dad has shot 2 over all of the years he has been hunting. I think it depends on your luck.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:12 pm

i know some guys that have hunted for as long or longer than i have and never got a band. 24th year now. i have been lucky to get 3. some guys have there whole lanyard filled.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:48 am

i guess you would ahve to say it is a lot of luck but... the thing that impacts you the number of bands the most is location ... sometimes on hunts up north it isn't uncommon for like every 3 bird to be banded but around here ks_wf... getting bands can be a challange ... i have shot one band...a goose and that is it counting that one i have only seen 2 shot with bands ... my bro shot the other .. . (he has alot for around here ...i wish i could hunt as much as him)

yellow
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:23 pm

bands are just a hit and miss kind of deal in the past 2 yrs i havent shot anything wiht a band but i have buddies that its not un common to shoot a band bout every 3rd hunt i dont know how but there just that lucky.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:17 pm

As I recall, it is something like 1 duck per 465 is banded. I've shot over 1200 ducks and have 3 bands in 37 seasons of hunting. This is the Federal bands for ducks only.

Naturally if you hunt right where they banded a bunch, your odds go way up. Certain "infamous" nationally known goose hunters get so many bands because their state bands a fair amount and they specifically scout for the neck collars and it screws up the scientific research. IMHO how many bands or lack there of does not at all indicate proweness of hunting skills. Way too much is made of it.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:24 am

IMHO how many bands or lack there of does not at all indicate proweness of hunting skills. Way too much is made of it.
h2o

very true... i have one and am very proud of it and all but i am sure others are better hunters and have none esp. around these parts ...like i said .. around here it is alot of luck i have an unclue who has be a hard core fowler for 30 some years and has 1 and this is a man who knows how to hunt... if there are 7 birds in the state he will find 6 of them and limit that day...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:29 pm

h20wflwr makes a great point. There are some pros who actually sit with spotting scopes and count the ring bands on certain flocks in fields and actually hunt bands not geese. Its not what the sports about.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 pm

I can't eat antlers or bands... Would I like some? Sure. But that is not what drives me to hunt. I know guys that have killed a lot of deer and now they just want a "wall hanger". Nothing wrong with that. Scoping geese for leg bands? I guess I have not been doing this long enough to understand that.
Snaph
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:20 pm

:withstupid: I am with both of you if you sit there and look for bands on ducks and geese it isn't hunting, and just trying for a band doesn't drive me to go hunting. I just like to get out and watch ducks and geese commit to your spread and come in. I don't know if there is a better feeling then that, that is why I love hunting ducks and geese.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:35 pm

I was jsut curious. Eventually with gods help I will get one. I don't go out hunting for them, but if I see one you are dang right I will shoot it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Only One

Postby HENDU3270 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:17 am

I've been chasing ducks for about 10 years now, and only have one band. Got it from a Mottled Duck the second year of my duck life. Once I got the information back, I found out it was banded about ten miles from where I shot it and about 4 months earlier. I wonder if some of those guys that have their lanyards full have purchased a few of them.

Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster808 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:50 am

it all depends on where you hunt...if you hunt near an area where there has been a mass banding project then of course you are bound to shoot a few bands...thats how most of those guys with there lanyards filled do it. i have been hunting for 3 years now and i have only shot 1 band and that was on a lesser canadian. i shot it this year during early goose season. there isn't really an exact average...it could be 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 or even 1 in 100,000 who knows?? like i said it all depends on where you hunt.
duckbuster808
hunter

Postby gander lander » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:17 pm

Last year was my first goose hunting. I went out a handfull of times in the late season and got 4 geese. 1 band and 1 neck collar. I guess I was one of those lucky ones you guys were describing :getdown:
Isaiah 40:30-31
gander lander
Newb

Postby yellowlab » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:39 pm

umm yeah pretty much gander... lol tha tis cool i shot my band in my first season and haven;t shot on seice ... just hope your luck dosen't pan out that way... :yes:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:23 pm

Gander,
I see you live in Ohio, where I know they do alot of banding. I have watched videos of Ohio hunts where they killed like 8 neckies that day. Congrats on the Iron and plastic. It is awesome to see them shot. I would say it wasn't so much luck as it was location like everyone said. But anyway, congrats. Hope you are hooked on waterfowling.

My buddy shot a banded mallard monday night in our honey hole.

Kansas doesn't do hardly any banding, so I guess I am pretty much SOL. Have seen 4 neckies while hunting ducks when canadas weren't in season. Flying over 15 yards high. Killed a snow out of one of the groups of canadas.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby sawdoff1972 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:16 am

You need to find out if they band ducks or geese in yr area ....... and if they do , well there you go . I found 2 places in IN that band ducks and geese. Its great for early goose season . Good luck
Ram Man
sawdoff1972
Newb

Postby Duck Buster » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:37 pm

I have 9 bands in 10 years of hunting. None of which were banded in my home state. So i would have to say that i am lucky. Does anyone know how many reward $ bands are out there? I got one last year that was a 100$ reward. I had never heard of that before.
Going Hunting or fishing today, I can sleep when i am dead.
Duck Buster
hunter

Postby gander lander » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:24 pm

Actually the banded goose was banded in the Northwest Territories almost 2000 miles away. Now am I more lucky?
Isaiah 40:30-31
gander lander
Newb

Return to The Honey Hole