IndaPot....

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: IndaPot....

Postby flight control » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 am

keep them pictures coming Inda, I'm gonna try this real soon!
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 am

I assume that the geese you are using are specks? Just curious because I've always heard that Canada legs taste like rubber?
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

IndaPot....

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:47 am

Canada legs and thighs are the best part of the bird. Guys never try these birds, it is always, I've heard they taste like rubber.

Truthfully, I like canada geese a lot, I like snow geese even more. Way better eating. They have been given a bad reputation by people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Canada legs and thighs are the best part of the bird. Guys never try these birds, it is always, I've heard they taste like rubber.

Truthfully, I like canada geese a lot, I like snow geese even more. Way better eating. They have been given a bad reputation by people.

How do you cook them Jay?
ByersFarm wrote:

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 am

teddysberna wrote:I assume that the geese you are using are specks? Just curious because I've always heard that Canada legs taste like rubber?

we used both lesser canada and Specklebelly goose legs and thighs in the gumbo-both were delicious! When you cook them so long that they fall apart-trust me, they do not taste like rubber.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 am

SCHNETZ wrote:Jeez, how many servings are you making there Inda? I used two mallards and had soup for one for about a week. That with filling a bowl and then going back for seconds. DAY-LAY-SHUS :bow:

Making a triple batch this year SCHNETZ. :thumbsup: should make about 3.5 gallons of soup. We'll eat on a little of it, I'll give some to a family friend, and the rest will go to the Indacamp for duck season. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 am

teddysberna wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Canada legs and thighs are the best part of the bird. Guys never try these birds, it is always, I've heard they taste like rubber.

I've beern plucking the geese I shoot locally. I love them roasted in a baking bag with some fruit cocktail for about 10 hours at 200. I have a buddy that will put the legs in a pressure cooker for a hour or so, then finish off on the grill. Fantastic. Tastes like the dark meat on a farm raised turkey. I cook most of my waterfowl with a little sweet in the recipe.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:

I've beern plucking the geese I shoot locally. I love them roasted in a baking bag with some fruit cocktail for about 10 hours at 200. I have a buddy that will put the legs in a pressure cooker for a hour or so, then finish off on the grill. Fantastic. Tastes like the dark meat on a farm raised turkey. I cook most of my waterfowl with a little sweet in the recipe.

That sounds really good actually, I just don't have the patience or the desire to pluck one of them big bustards...
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm

about 3.5~4 lbs. of cubed smoked duck meat for the soup.

Gonna chop up the cauliflower and the veggies, then start the soup...more pics. later

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Yer killin me swamp ! That looks to good just the way it is :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Looking good
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby flight control » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I hate when I hear guys say they got 20 geese and just took the breasts.If you do that, you are wasting half the bird and I find that disrespectful. There is just as much meat in the legs and wings as there is on the breast and it's just as good, it just needs to be prepared differently.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:59 pm

flight control wrote:

I hate when I hear guys say they got 20 geese and just took the breasts.If you do that, you are wasting half the bird and I find that disrespectful. There is just as much meat in the legs and wings as there is on the breast and it's just as good, it just needs to be prepared differently.

X2!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Yer killin me swamp ! That looks to good just the way it is :thumbsup:

got da veggies stewing down now....will post pics later when I can walk away from da pot... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

flight control wrote:

while I agree the legs and thighs are the best part of the goose, its none of my (or anyone else's) business whether the guy next door plucks the bird, eats the whole thing including entrails and makes pillows from the down or throws the whole damned thing away without using a thing.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm

O.K.; Soup is done...and I think I out did myself this time. Either that or I have been looking forward to this soup for WAY TOO LONG! :lol3:
6 sticks of butter and 3 large heads of cauliflower course chopped indapot...
along with some onion and celery...
with a little bell pepper and 3/4 cup of fresh minced garlic...(I'll tell ya a trick about the garlic in the next post...
Now we're cookin!! stewed the veggies down for 40 minutes...recipe only calls for 25 but with such a large volume, it took a while to get going...
After the cauliflower has mellowed and sauteed...break out da boat motor and smooth it out!
after the boat motor, add the flour and whisk in good. the boat motor is detachable and I have a whisk attachment that works great for this. then slowly add the duck stock one ladle at a time...look at dat rich duck stock!!
once all the stock is incorporated, I added 3 pints of heavy whipping cream and 3/8 cup of brandy...(and sipped a little brandy while finishing da soup.. :yes: )
stir in and bring to a boil slowly so the roux and cream do not burn...then simmer for 30 minutes

Add the green onions & parsley then stir in good. check seasoning and adjust with dis n dat poultry , salt and black pepper..then add da duck meat...
stir in and let come to temp, check seasonings and it's done!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I minced 1.5 cups of garlic in about 10 minutes...it's not hard when you know how. break the garlic cloves off the pod and put them in a large stainless steel bowl. should take you about a minute to bust up 5-6 pods. cover with an identical or slightly smaller stainless steel bowl and shake the dickens out of it for about 30 seconds (cause it's a lot of garlic!). open the top and voila-fresh peeled garlic cloves!!
rinse the peelings off and put the cloves in a food processor to mince. that should take up the rest of the time... :thumbsup:

How to peel garlic in 10 seconds

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 pm

after letting the pot cool, I portioned out 12 quarts of soup. :thumbsup: I will save 6-8 quarts for the Indacamp, and eat/give away the rest this week.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:41 pm

I think 3 bowls of Soup was too much...I'm about to pop! :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks Inda. It's 4:45 in the morning, and after looking at this my protein bar just won't cut it for breakfast... :no: I knew better than to open this when I'm hungry.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flight control » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 am

jehler wrote:
flight control wrote:

while I agree the legs and thighs are the best part of the goose, its none of my (or anyone else's) business whether the guy next door plucks the bird, eats the whole thing including entrails and makes pillows from the down or throws the whole damned thing away without using a thing.

Agreed, none of my business, but in my opinion, still disrespectful to the game that I love so much. You know what they say about opinions,just like @*******, everybody has one, and most of them stink.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 am

Inda, I'm gonna try this recipe as soon as this storm is over,provided my home and smoker don't get too much water in them. :wink:

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 am

Inda, I don't know that I've ever seen a soup look so good. Wish I had your skills brother. My dad has your cajun cooking abilities, but I've never been around him long enough to pick them up.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Looks amazing!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby ironrange » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Looks great Inda! A lot better than the hamburger helper on the stove right now (we are a family on the run again tonight). Thanks again for the play by play. It will help me when I whip this up. :thumbsup:
ironrange
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole