Geese...it figures

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Geese...it figures

Postby Snaph » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Ah, the first day of deer season in PA. The crisp morning air chills the nose. We meet with our hunting buddies in the predawn light and develop a game plan. The steam from coffee cups warms the faces around us. Everybody moves into position and it turns out to be a quiet morning...except for the freaking geese flying everywhere. Goose is still in season and the irony is running high.

Not two days before, we set up the dekes in a soybean field and could not get a flock to come near us. Today, in the same spot, I had geese flying right over top of me, 25 to 35 yards up...orange hat, vest and all that stuff. Shotgun in the trunk and plenty of rounds of steel at the ready. I have never seen so many geese in the air at one time. If geese had a middle finger, I am sure they gave it to me today. No deer in the morning...all geese.

Well the afternoon ended with a doe about the size of a large dog. You know...The spots fall off when you shoot it. Funny how deer look bigger before you shoot them. If I had the power to breathe life back into that deer, I would have. And while I was field dressing that deer...guess what? More geese taunting me overhead. And just for the record... I just started using Federal Premium Vital Shok Nosler ballistic tips (7mm Rem mag)...I have never seen a deer drop that fast and violent ever. The deer folded in half. (Know how your dog stands on all four legs and still licks it butt?) That is what is looked like. When I rolled the deer over it looked like a big bloody alien snake pouring from its body. The exit wound was about the size of a quarter. Wow. Well I guess I will take a shower and scrub the blood from my fingernails, and start to think about waterfowl again. Stupid geese...I know where you live now. I'll be back.
Snaph
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 am

Them ducks and geese like to do that you know. Our duck season closed last Tuesday---and the ducks poured in on Tuesday thru Thursday out of CA. And of course when you are out there hunting you will not see anything, but they will come right in while you are taking a pee, pouring a cup of coffee of eating a sandwich.... :yes: But it was so slow here that I tried the pee/coffee/sandwhich method and still nothing came in over the decoys last Tuesday morning. :eek:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:34 am

Absolutely right! Three ways to see geese & ducks. 1) hunt deer. Geese'll fly over ALL of the time. 2) Answer nature's call. 3) Pour coffee & eat (to create another call from nature).
If none of the above work, just conclude that you're done hunting; start picking up your decoys. When you're half way finished, they're sure to come in (especially geese). :laughing:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:42 am

mark has it about right...one day last season .. takeing a pee was workign so good ... i wish i could pee on comand we would have had so many geese ... i took a pee ... huting body shot 2 geese that were coming in... he took one i show 2 geese ... we ran out ...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HonkShooter » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:09 pm

My dad shot one when he was takin a wiz....drawers down and everything. Quite amusing. Always take your gun with you.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby hoosier dhr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:56 pm

We generally get alot coming in when we are picking up the decoys :umm:
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:52 pm

lol very nice honk... :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: that is great .. i haven't pulled that one off before
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole