For the Dad's who take their kids hunting...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

For the Dad's who take their kids hunting...

Postby justinsfa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 am

Like many of you, my father introduced me into the outdoors by taking me fishing and hunting when I was a kid...

I couldn't tell you how many trips of his that I had ruined by having to go to the bathroom, sleeping late, being cold, being fidgety, being bored, being cranky, being sick or getting in trouble by momma and cancelling the whole trip all together... haha... but no matter what, he always invited me back every time...

Then came the sporting years where he gave the trips up to come to baseball, basketball and football games every weekend. By high school, I was making him so broke that he couldn't go as much... and by college, I was keeping him up too late worrying about what kind of trouble I was getting into...

I was lucky and got turned on to the greatest American past time, greatest group of sportsmen and most beautiful scenery that one can ever see... and its all because he gave up all of his free time and paycheck so that I could enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer.

I now spend most of my time, criss crossing this great state of Texas and the southern US, chasing waterfowl, deer and fish... although now I am armed with a camera more-so than a shotgun.

That being said, these are now the years in which it is my turn to return the favor to my Dad.

I try to take him as much as possible.... he gave up his deer lease years ago because I wasn't around as much to help him out as I should have been... Every weekend during the spring and fall, I make it a point to take HIM out in MY boat now and realize just how much $$ that man dropped on me so we could go hunting and fishing everytime I wanted to when I was a kid.

He is my favorite fishing partner and because he taught me how to do it from the get go, he is about the only guy I can stand to be in the boat with for a whole weekend.. lol... We are always on the same wavelength about everything.... Although, he always gets dibs on the front of the boat now

With your help, I would like to take him on a hunting trip of a lifetime. I have made the finals on the Cabela's Lonestar Outdoors Show 2012 Photo of the Year. The grand prize is a Spring turkey hunt and exotic buck trip.

If I win this contest, I will be donating the hunt to my father and watching him have all the fun just like he did to me for the past 30 years... taking as many pictures as I can the entire trip!

I would appreciate your votes via computer and smart phone in helping me secure this trip for my old man. If you have some time, please visit the following link and vote for my photo of the year, FEBRUARY (A greenhead being retrieved by Lead in last years snowfall here in Texas):

http://texasoutdoorsmedia.com/photo-of-the-month/

Thanks for the support and thank you to all you parents who get your kids out there in the great outdoors and teach them that its not all about the catch or the kill, but about the valuable time that you get to spend with the ones you love. We kids really do appreciate it!

And most of all, Thanks DAD!!

Feel free to post the stories of your Dad or Mom introducing you to duck hunting! Its great to think back to those memories and I KNOW there are some funny ones....
Last edited by justinsfa on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justinsfa
hunter

Re: For the Dad's who take their kids hunting...

Postby Willie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am

That's a good story and real nice pic...I'll go vote.
My dad got me, my brother, and sister into hunting and fishing very early on, and I've done the same with my kids. I have two little girls, oldest is 5, youngest just 17 months. The oldest started going deer hunting with me this year, but has not been duck hunting yet. She'll go fishing just about every trip with me, and learned to pee in a bucket on the boat when she was 3, which believe it or not, is a huge thing and definitely changed everything (don't have to come in if she has to go to the bathroom...much more time on the water) once she got comfortable doing it.
Willie
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 am

Hey and :welcome: to DHC. Nice pics that you have there and great memories along the way. My dad was not the one that introduced me to hunting but I am trying to be that guy for my kids. Good luck with the contest
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am

You have my vote for sure.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

My dad did the same for me, even all those trips to the squirrel woods runied because mom packed my lunch in a metal lunchbox never complained or got mad. I voted for you buddy good luck.

Although that is a big azz buck for January lol
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks for the support guys! I have hunted with quite a few DHC members and all have been fun, stand up guys.

I never really realized how much my old man sacrificed (both time and money) for me to be able to go out in the woods and backwaters to hunt and fish.

Hope to do the same when I have kiddos!
justinsfa
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am

Great story. I know where your coming from, sad to say my dad has been gone for sometime now, thanks for bringing back some ol memories. You got my vote.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

My father introduced me to hunting at an early age, mainly with dear and turkey. This year when I return my father, brother, close friend and myself have a trip to ND to hunt for a week. I have always wanted to introduce him into this and finally he accepted. There are so many things I would like to do to pay him back for all the crap he had to deal with when I was younger. You have my vote man.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm

plus 1. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 am

:bump:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 am

I normally don't participate in these threads. New guy comes to the site, asking for votes. Your story got me. I voted for you. Made me wish my father could still hunt with me. His health keeps him out of the blind.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 am

jaysweet3 wrote:I normally don't participate in these threads. New guy comes to the site, asking for votes. Your story got me. I voted for you. Made me wish my father could still hunt with me. His health keeps him out of the blind.

X2.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 am

Another reason to vote for this fellow. We can't let some picture of a scraggly white tail win.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 am

Done and good luck :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 am

Done. Great pics
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 am

I honestly think he has the best picture. I agree jay, we can't let that gay white tail win.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 am

Damn bean eaters.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am

How do i vote?!?!?! I went to the link but i didnt see where there was an option to vote
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 am

Voted.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby send the dog » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

I voted, but that kid with the fish pole and blue cowboy boots was a close second. Glad my father got me into huntin and fishin. miss that guy. good luck
send the dog
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Voted :thumbsup:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Voted, you were winning with 41%.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Voted.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Voted! Good luck :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Team Kabob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Great story! Fun to hunt with family anytime! Got my vote
Team Kabob
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole