Divers

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Divers

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:29 pm

My uncle and i want to hunt divers and only divers. We think we want to go to the Devils Lake area. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to hunt divers in ND or any where. We want to shoot some buffleheads. So please suggest some places to me thanks.
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

Postby hooked on quack » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:39 pm

if you ever come to cali, i dont know where Devil's Lake is i know where you can get buffleheads and ringnecks coming out of your ears go to sac refuge go to the front pond in free roam or go to blind 36 i limted on ringnecks in blind 36 before there everywhere its just a long walk to 36 though if you need help when you get there Ginger will help you out tell her the ladd group sent ya
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby hoosier dhr » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:02 pm

DL is a good place for divers but the lake is very dangerous! Hopefully u have a big boat. Id stay along the shoreline and put a lifevest on (not just in the boat)
I stay about 25 miles North of DL and hunt feilds and small sloughs so i dont see many divers but i talked to a group that hunted around Lakota on some big sloughs and got bufs and red heads.
Good luck. :salude:
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:00 pm

You want to shoot buffleheads?
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Hmmmm

Postby shocktroop » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Buffleheads....heard they taste bad, but would make a pretty mount. I hunted the gulf coast of texas all last year, corpus christi bay area along the intracoastal channel, nothing but redheads and pintail, reds were 2 a day and pintails were 1, in about 20min you got your 3 birds and went home. Saw scads of buffleheads just sitting there, you could walk up 20ft to them, no hunting pressure on them.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:47 pm

divers...?? are you sure you don't want to find a limit or two of greenheads
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:07 pm

SOUTH TEXAS COAST would have to be my honey hole for divers, we get bluebills, lots of redheads, and lots of buffleheads, but we usually pass them by do to their size.
texan68
hunter

Diver hunting

Postby Dep666 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:14 am

Man oh Man do I love hunting divers. Yes they don't taste a good as a nice teal or mallard, but they sure are fun to shoot. Here in upstate NY we have a great diver population. Our 2nd season starts Dec. 27 th till Jan.9th. The fingerlakes and Lake Ontario will be loaded with all kinds of divers. That time of the year is tough on a hunter and a dog. I hunt the upper Niagara River (Above Niagara Falls). It is very dangerous , but as long as you have common sense and are with someone who knows the river , then it can be very rewarding. I have hunted North Dakota before. Lake Alice near Cando can be pretty good. When I was there I shot a buch of BlueBills , but I didn't see any Buffies.

One tip as far a Buffie and Goldeneye hunting- Those Ethan Allen SuperMag deoys are the Nuts! You have to assemble them and make a keel, but the end result is Lots of decoying birds. Those whislters and Buffies love those Dekes. The best part is you only need 2 Dekes!
Good luck diver hunting............Matt French
Dep666
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole