How to cut the oil gland off the tail of a duck...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

How to cut the oil gland off the tail of a duck...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am

this is for Jaysweet, but others might want to see this as well...
The oiler, or “Pope’s nose,” as it is apparently also known, will look like a fatty bump on top of the tailbone. The bird above is a chicken, but ducks have one just like it, only bigger. Remove it by holding the knife parallel to the bone. Sometimes the whole thing doesn’t come out in one go, but that’s OK – just keep at it until it’s all gone.
With ducks and their big oilers, you will find yourself cutting deep down against the bone. Here’s what one looks like once the oiler has been removed – you can see the bone showing.

here's the website:
http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2011/10/how-to-butcher-a-duck/

Best way I can tell you is to cut along and in line with the tail feathers. make one cut all the way to the bone at the same angle as the feather holes on each side of the tail, then a cut down on each side in front of the oil gland (finished cuts as shown in the 2nd picture). Then pinch it and pull, it should come off...
you need to be sure and cut through the feather holes-not on top of them, or you might cut the gland. cut to the bone in the center (see pic), then cut far enough in front so you do not cut the gland. feel for it and you should be able to tell where to make the front cuts...

best I got without a bird in front of me to take pics as I go...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: How to cut the oil gland off the tail of a duck...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 am

this shows where the kidneys are (looking down into the cavity, breast up) and what it should look like when they are removed...
you have to get those out of a wild duck or the gravy will have a strong flavor. use your finger and just push in there, start on the ass end and run your fingernail to the other end, they should pop out. rinse with water very well to flush it all out. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 am

so..the question arises that many of you are thinking...why leave the tail on? Well, if you fold the tail up after stuffing the bird, then fold the skin over it from the sides, the bird will retain a hell of a lot more moisture thus giving you a juicier bird when you pull it off the smoker or grill...or if you braise them Like Uncle Warren does in a black iron pot... :yes: :thumbsup:

But the kidneys are a must go! if you haven't been pulling them out, START NOW!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:22 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359886923.958104.jpg
i thin I knew this girl back in college.

Thanks for the demo.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 am

jaysweet3 wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359886923.958104.jpg
i thin I knew this girl back in college.

Thanks for the demo.

LOL :yes:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:18 am

We have two ducks thawing out now to make Superbowl gumbo with. They're plucked and waxed because the wife insists that leaving the skin on while she browns the duck (first step) adds flavors that you don't get with duck breasts alone. She tried it that way.

Will cut out the oil glands for the first time ever. Never even thought about cutting them out. Yet another awesome cooking tip from our great Louisiana Bayou chef. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 am

aunt betty wrote:We have two ducks thawing out now to make Superbowl gumbo with. They're plucked and waxed because the wife insists that leaving the skin on while she browns the duck (first step) adds flavors that you don't get with duck breasts alone. She tried it that way.

Will cut out the oil glands for the first time ever. Never even thought about cutting them out. Yet another awesome cooking tip from our great Louisiana Bayou chef. :thumbsup:

Oh man..if you've been cooking ducks WITH the oil glands....are you in for a surprise....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 am

Though not mentioned-the oil glands are a must to go too...this is just a method for leaving the tail on to retain moisture while on the grill or in the oven. Night and day in the difference in flavor gland on vs. gland off.......

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:04 pm

bump for tmclaimer...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm

If someone reminds me next season, I will take step by step pictures to post if people want a better demo.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Indaswamp wrote:If someone reminds me next season, I will take step by step pictures to post if people want a better demo.

You should do a video demo of this. Even after reading through that Im still a little flustered.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:If someone reminds me next season, I will take step by step pictures to post if people want a better demo.

You should do a video demo of this. Even after reading through that Im still a little flustered.

I'll have to get a buddy at the fire house to edit it for me.
If you look at the first picture, there are two rows of tail feathers on each side of the tail, one runs on top of the tail bone, and one runs under it. make your cuts on each side along the top row of tail feathers, cutting where the feather quills were pulled out. This will cut under the oil gland on each side. Cut almost all the way through until you hit the tail bone. if you pull this flap back, you should see the oil gland. Next with the duck belly down, feel with your fingers to locate the front of the oil gland, then make your second cuts down in front of the oil gland as shown in the second picture. cut down to the first cut, then do the other side. then pinch the glands and pull them off.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole