Which is better?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

what's better?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:09 pm

great calling
No votes
great decoys
8%
great location
92%

Total votes : 26

Which is better?

Postby 20gauge24 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:09 pm

now since its changed, which do you pick?
The worst duck hunt is the best day of work.
20gauge24
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:13 pm

Location because you need to be where the ducks are going to go. If you are not where they want to go you might only get one or two ducks.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:16 pm

In the right location decoys and calls arn't required. think about it....
we use calls and decoys to get the ducks to go where we want them, where we can shoot them.

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:18 pm

Definately location! Gotta be where the ducks wanna be! :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby tome » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:20 pm

location...location..location...for any decoys or calls to work..you need the birds.
tome
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:29 pm

Location. I have seen ducks decoy to our really crappy looking decoys that were gray cause there was no paint on them. I never blew a call either. I have been in the spot and used no decoying and calling and 3 of us killed limits. If you are in the spot, everything else will fall into place.

PS Decoys can't be that important, cause I saw a guy use hedge apples to supplement his decoy spread, and he killed the pi$$ out of them (and yes he was in "the spot"
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:36 pm

Im with Ks its locaction, then decoys, calling. Calling can scare them away if you dont know what you are doing. I honestly believe calling is not needed except to get thier attention and maybe try and call um back other than that we dont do much. If your in the right spot and got a decoy or two out there well sit and watch here they come. Last day of our first break the woodies were likd leaves falling off the tree in a tornado they just wanted that spot they didnt care if we were picking the decoys up or not. :cool: But of course it was after lefal shooting time and we couldnt do a darn thing :pissed: .
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:40 pm

where you are... #1 if you aren't where the birds are ... there isn't anything to call or draw in...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Hunten E Guy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:42 pm

i would say locaton, then decoys and have calling as last
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 am

being on the X i would say is most important.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:42 pm

I would have to say location and then decoys... A duck will light into a good looking spread without ANY calling if the location is right. When I was younger and had not learned to call yet... I would go to my grandfather's farm and hide in an irrigation ditch between 2 ricefields and just let the ducks keep coming in. When they started trying to light within gun-range.....WHAAAAM! :smile:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:10 pm

Where the ducks want to be, then decoys, and lastly the call. We have had a good looking spread and done some calling and had a few ducks come in but the rest headed for an other spot on the feild because thats where they wanted to be. We had to move to that spot to get our limits.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole