DHC almost has 3 Million posts...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: DHC almost has 3 Million posts...

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

Building .308 as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 pm

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:Thanks! I used to keep up with AR's when I was trying to figure out what I wanted for a patrol gun but haven't really done much research in them lately.

Are you wanting to buy or build? Glen Seekins makes one of the best AR's out there. LMT is very good as well. The best advice I can give is to get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider.

I haven't really made up my mind yet as to whether I want to buy or build.

Are you saying a 14.5 inch barrel for a longer range AR?

I would never use an ar for long range work, but that's just me. I'm a build specific kind of guy. AR's are carbines and meant to be short and nimble. My 18" barreled .308 bolt gun is a nimble mid range gun. She will stretch to 1,000 if the wind is calm.

Ill buy that. I think 3 or 4 is a good cut off with a AR. I leave my 25-06 in the truck for anything over that.

Which 25-06 do you have? Do you like it?

Savage edge. Same gun as the axis before they got sued. Yes I love it. Did the 2 cent trigger upgrade and pound tacks with it. I shoot 85 grain nosler ballistic tips through it. Blows big big holes.

I'll have to take a look at one then. I need a groundhog gun.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm

t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:How much do you want to spend?

Doesn't matter. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a cheap POS either. I'm just tossing the idea around right now. Deer season is over and duck is about to be, so I'm thinking about going after some coyotes. I have a Rock River Entry Tactical set up as my patrol rifle and I've thought about using it. It's dead on at a hundred, but it just has an Eotech on it.

You could always just put a white oak barrel on it, or another brand. I've been very pleased with my Wilson 300 blackout.

Talk to me about that 300. What kinda accuracy you seeing out of it? Really between that or a 308 build.

I think it all depends on what you intend to do with it. I wanted a predominately sub sonic rig, and I didn't want the added expense of revamping with an AR10 platform. The wilson upper exceeds my accuracy expectations, but keep in mind it is certainly not a long range weapon. It is very hush hush though.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:21 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:Thanks! I used to keep up with AR's when I was trying to figure out what I wanted for a patrol gun but haven't really done much research in them lately.

Are you wanting to buy or build? Glen Seekins makes one of the best AR's out there. LMT is very good as well. The best advice I can give is to get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider.

I haven't really made up my mind yet as to whether I want to buy or build.

Are you saying a 14.5 inch barrel for a longer range AR?

I would never use an ar for long range work, but that's just me. I'm a build specific kind of guy. AR's are carbines and meant to be short and nimble. My 18" barreled .308 bolt gun is a nimble mid range gun. She will stretch to 1,000 if the wind is calm.

Ill buy that. I think 3 or 4 is a good cut off with a AR. I leave my 25-06 in the truck for anything over that.

Which 25-06 do you have? Do you like it?

Savage edge. Same gun as the axis before they got sued. Yes I love it. Did the 2 cent trigger upgrade and pound tacks with it. I shoot 85 grain nosler ballistic tips through it. Blows big big holes.

I'll have to take a look at one then. I need a groundhog gun.

You'd smoke a barrel on a 25-06 if used as a high intensity gun like P dog gun.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Just groundhogs. I need something to back up the Ruger .223
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Just groundhogs. I need something to back up the Ruger .223

I've never been a huge 25 caliber fan. There are more bullet options available for 6mm and 6.5mm chamberings. Keep in mind that I don't shoot any factory rounds and that I load for the highest bc bullet I can. The 25-06 is a great chambering and has good factory options for it.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Nerds
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 pm

ByersFarm wrote:

I've never been a huge 25 caliber fan. There are more bullet options available for 6mm and 6.5mm chamberings. Keep in mind that I don't shoot any factory rounds and that I load for the highest bc bullet I can. The 25-06 is a great chambering and has good factory options for it.

I don't reload, I don't shoot enough. Out of my 223 I use .55 gr Hornady V-max. I don't want a 30-06 or a .243. I sold a 22-250 last year, I'm just looking right now This snow goose trip wiped out my gun money lol

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm

ByersFarm wrote:

I got the 25 because my 2 uncles and grandpa shoot them. So we all reload. If it wasnt for that I wouldnt own one. Just for the availability factor.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I don't reload, I don't shoot enough. Out of my 223 I use .55 gr Hornady V-max. I don't want a 30-06 or a .243. I sold a 22-250 last year, I'm just looking right now This snow goose trip wiped out my gun money lol

Why not a 250? Thats a great little round.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:How much do you want to spend?

Doesn't matter. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a cheap POS either. I'm just tossing the idea around right now. Deer season is over and duck is about to be, so I'm thinking about going after some coyotes. I have a Rock River Entry Tactical set up as my patrol rifle and I've thought about using it. It's dead on at a hundred, but it just has an Eotech on it.

You could always just put a white oak barrel on it, or another brand. I've been very pleased with my Wilson 300 blackout.

Talk to me about that 300. What kinda accuracy you seeing out of it? Really between that or a 308 build.

I think it all depends on what you intend to do with it. I wanted a predominately sub sonic rig, and I didn't want the added expense of revamping with an AR10 platform. The wilson upper exceeds my accuracy expectations, but keep in mind it is certainly not a long range weapon. It is very hush hush though.

Might not go that route then. I wanna reach out and touch something.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I sold a Remington 700 bdl. Weighs just slightly less than a Buick. Too heavy

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:10 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

That was dumb.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:10 pm

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

That was dumb.

Why?

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:That was dumb.

Why?

Good gun. And groundhog guns are meant to be carried from the safe to the passenger truck seat. Shot out the window and carried back to the safe.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:16 pm

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:That was dumb.

Why?

Good gun. And groundhog guns are meant to be carried from the safe to the passenger truck seat. Shot out the window and carried back to the safe.

It was a great gun. Wood, blued leupold 3x9x40 scope on it. I don't live in flat land I cant shoot everything out of the truck.

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 pm

We've got a ping pong table in the office.. yours truly is the night team champ.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Psht
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

grizz18 wrote:We've got a ping pong table in the office.. yours truly is the night team champ.

Hard to loose when one side is kicked up and your playing yourself.
t_baker
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:28 pm

t_baker wrote:
grizz18 wrote:We've got a ping pong table in the office.. yours truly is the night team champ.

You don't want none.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 pm

grizz18 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

You don't want none.

I wear a sweat band when I play.
t_baker
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 pm

t_baker wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

You don't want none.

Oughta wear knee boots for the chit you be walking in after all that talky talk/
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 pm

I thank the Lord every day for not making me good at ping pong.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm

grizz18 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

You don't want none.

Oughta wear knee boots for the chit you be walking in after all that talky talk/

You better warm that elbow up. I need 10 hours to make it to you. We play to the death.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I thank the Lord every day for not making me good at ping pong.

They say your a world class artist. I wanna see some of it.
t_baker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole