DHC almost has 3 Million posts...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup

Re: DHC almost has 3 Million posts...

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:41 am

whisperin' duck wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote: Good gosh, I like duck hunting but quail hunting is so much better to me.

You must have dogs geared towards upland birds to say that, wd! I'm in CA, so we have valley and mountain quail. Most of the valley quail have established themselves in such thick, stickery habitat that they are really tough to hunt. And the mountain quail take a lot of miles of hiking, in my experience, to shoot more than a bird or two. Sounds fun, though! I want to go to AZ and shoot Gambel's. There are brazillions near my brother's near Kingman. Collared and mourning doves and cottontails, too!

My ex-father in law is a bird guide in south Texas. Used to go down a couple times a year and quail hunt. I still remember the rush I got the first time a covey flushed. That's the only thing I miss about my exes family! :yes:

:lol3: I would think in this case it would be important to maintain a good relationship with the exes! I'd sit down with them and explain how yes, you and your ex still love each other, but you just don't think you are good for each other and you want more than that for her.....and, with a hint of moisture in your eyes, you still love them and don't want this to change your relationship. The memories of family get togethers and time spent in the field with your FIL are just too important for you to simply walk away from and you hope more than anything to be able to see them on occasion.
Then ask Inda for some quail recipes! :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:Just jumped some quail out of the dove field.

Oh man. That's pretty badass right there.

I grinned.

Good to hear. While #s have struggled recently, glad I can still get on quite a few coveys of wild birds. 12 years ago it was nothing to get on 10+ coveys a day.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Farming down here has destroyed any glimpse of habitat. Between the modern mentality of farming to the property line and aerial chemical application, the fence rows have all but disappeared. We used to see one covey when I was a kid. Unfortunately it eventually disappeared. Restoring their population is a big goal of mine.

That's a hell of a goal, hope it works out for ya. Habitat is the reason birds #s have dropped around here, the recent drought hasn't helped any either. If you find good cover you can still find birds.

Would like to be a part of the quail hunt if it happens, I do a lot of waterfowling, but upland is still my favorite.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:59 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote: Good gosh, I like duck hunting but quail hunting is so much better to me.

You must have dogs geared towards upland birds to say that, wd! I'm in CA, so we have valley and mountain quail. Most of the valley quail have established themselves in such thick, stickery habitat that they are really tough to hunt. And the mountain quail take a lot of miles of hiking, in my experience, to shoot more than a bird or two. Sounds fun, though! I want to go to AZ and shoot Gambel's. There are brazillions near my brother's near Kingman. Collared and mourning doves and cottontails, too!

Upland hunting is the reason I have a WPG, a good pointing dog was my top priority. The fact he is a good retriever is just a bonus. I also want to hunt the gambels, I hear they are a blast. Visiting CA this fall, hoping to find a few birds I can't shoot at home, valley quail are at the top of that list.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 am

Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I grinned.

Good to hear. While #s have struggled recently, glad I can still get on quite a few coveys of wild birds. 12 years ago it was nothing to get on 10+ coveys a day.

Farming down here has destroyed any glimpse of habitat. Between the modern mentality of farming to the property line and aerial chemical application, the fence rows have all but disappeared. We used to see one covey when I was a kid. Unfortunately it eventually disappeared. Restoring their population is a big goal of mine.

That's a hell of a goal, hope it works out for ya. Habitat is the reason birds #s have dropped around here, the recent drought hasn't helped any either. If you find good cover you can still find birds.

Would like to be a part of the quail hunt if it happens, I do a lot of waterfowling, but upland is still my favorite.

I should clarify that my goal is to restore them to our property. I have some neighbors that have started to see some birds, and it would be nice to have an impact on neighboring property. To expect to have any long term impact would be unrealistic.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby WTN10 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:23 am

Quail hunting is apparently my wife's dream. Never been. Is it that much better?
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 am

WTN10 wrote:Quail hunting is apparently my wife's dream. Never been. Is it that much better?

I prefer pheasant or grouse hunting, but yea, quail are a blast to hunt with a good dog. A delicacy on the table also.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 am

ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I grinned.

I should clarify that my goal is to restore them to our property. I have some neighbors that have started to see some birds, and it would be nice to have an impact on neighboring property. To expect to have any long term impact would be unrealistic.

That's very cool. What is the predator situation like in your area?
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 am

Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I grinned.

Seen and being shot on the daily I would presume.
OHIODUCKA5 gives dry hobo jerks at the truck stop.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:46 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

Seen and being shot on the daily I would presume.

I would imagine, but was also wondering about the prey birds, they seem to be harder on upland birds than four legged critters. Makes it even worse when habitat sucks and there is less of it.
Last edited by Jarbo03 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

My ex-father in law is a bird guide in south Texas. Used to go down a couple times a year and quail hunt. I still remember the rush I got the first time a covey flushed. That's the only thing I miss about my exes family! :yes:

:lol3: I would think in this case it would be important to maintain a good relationship with the exes! I'd sit down with them and explain how yes, you and your ex still love each other, but you just don't think you are good for each other and you want more than that for her.....and, with a hint of moisture in your eyes, you still love them and don't want this to change your relationship. The memories of family get togethers and time spent in the field with your FIL are just too important for you to simply walk away from and you hope more than anything to be able to see them on occasion.
Then ask Inda for some quail recipes! :beer:

That ship sailed when he called me cussing me and telling me he was going to come and kick my arse and I was a fat f*** SOB. I replied with "what are you mad about? Are you mad because I have pictures of your daughter, my wife, banging her boyfriend?" It was down hill from there... :biggrin:

***I want it noted that the pictures in question were taken while we still lived together and were before separation***
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:00 am

Were they actually banging when you took the picture? If so I applaud you. Most guys wouldn't have thought of a picture. They woulda been choking a couple people
t_baker
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 am

Just curious how you 'acquired' these pictures Brian? I'm with Baker and would like to think that a murderous rage would have overcome me, and 2 people would be getting choked out....
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 am

Game cam no doubt.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 am

They weren't actually in the act. They were of her going in and then coming out the next morning. Not to mention the added pictures of her going into a hotel at 1 am and leaving at 5 am. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out what went on...
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 am

So did anyone else get those storms last night? At one point the thunder seemed to rattle my entire house, it was loud enough to wake me up!
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 am

whisperin' duck wrote:So did anyone else get those storms last night? At one point the thunder seemed to rattle my entire house, it was loud enough to wake me up!

Still got em goin on here
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am

MarkM wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:So did anyone else get those storms last night? At one point the thunder seemed to rattle my entire house, it was loud enough to wake me up!

Still got em goin on here

Just windy and raining here. Supposed to be 73 today and 37 tomorrow. :crying:
Uneasyjmitchell wrote:Is Erie salt water?

Indawoods wrote:
leaving me slack jawed and stupified. mangy feline deathkitty stole my bird.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 am

It had better clear up by Wednesday. My drive will suck if it doesn't.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:58 am

MarkM wrote:It had better clear up by Wednesday. My drive will suck if it doesn't.

Where you headed?

Indawoods wrote:
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 am

Monday came to early this week. Almost died this weekend or felt like it. On another note the wedding I was in this past weekend allowed the groom to discover his best man might have other reasons for not bringing a date to the wedding when we saw him in the pool sharing a champagne glass with another guy.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
MarkM wrote:It had better clear up by Wednesday. My drive will suck if it doesn't.

Where you headed?

North Dakota

whistlin_wings wrote:Monday came to early this week. Almost died this weekend or felt like it. On another note the wedding I was in this past weekend allowed the groom to discover his best man might have other reasons for not bringing a date to the wedding when we saw him in the pool sharing a champagne glass with another guy.

They found out your secret huh?

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 am

MarkM wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Monday came to early this week. Almost died this weekend or felt like it. On another note the wedding I was in this past weekend allowed the groom to discover his best man might have other reasons for not bringing a date to the wedding when we saw him in the pool sharing a champagne glass with another guy.

I was only a groomsman. He thought this hot blonde was picking him up at the pool then we all realized she was playing wing woman. She got him in the hot tub and then they switched but he stayed.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
MarkM wrote:

I was only a groomsman. He thought this hot blonde was picking him up at the pool then we all realized she was playing wing woman. She got him in the hot tub and then they switched but he stayed.

Well that's good for him I guess.

Indawoods wrote:
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Hilarious

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S4
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 am

Woke up to this BS. Not cool.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S4
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole