to shoot or to let it fly

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

to shoot or to let it fly

Postby bushwacking » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:23 pm

i was just wondering why so many ppl just go for the drakes even no they look better but y
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:26 pm

because if you shoot hen it will hurt the population then if you shoot drakes.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:30 pm

Shoot a hen and you just lost several ducks for next year. A drake can breed with more than one hen.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby hooked on quack » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:33 pm

if it hurt the population so much they'd make illegal to shoot hens most people do it cause the drakes are prettier if a hen anything came to were i could shoot it id shoot it but if two came by, a drake and a hen id aim for the hen if the drake fell with the first shoot id take the hen unless you only could get one of that kind of duck my fingers hurt now and i sorta get wat your saying about the hens but i disagree with you.
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby hooked on quack » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:34 pm

i made a grammer error id aim for the drake first sorry
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:39 pm

It may be b/c they look better for some but for most hunters it is the case of more ducks for the next year.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:19 pm

It's also the law. Shoot a hen reduce the duck population.
tstrong
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:32 pm

Im not so sure its "quack" that youre hooked on. If you cant understand why not to shoot hens as a good practice then you need :help: It would be the same thing as shooting a doe, its not something you should do.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:16 pm

i try to shoot all drakes. but if its a slow day and a hen comes in i am gonna shoot it. the legal limit here is 1 hen mallard.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:18 pm

... most the peopel hear have it right... for the most part shooting hens dose hurt the duck pop. no i am not saying if there is a single coming in and i am one duck from limit i wont shoot it ...(if i was that picky i might starve on some days lol) but i am saying if giving the chose hen or drake ... i will shot at drakes all day ... even if pairs are coming in most the time i will drop the drake and leave the hen alone... (unless they are close together and the hen has a chance of cauching stray bb's then there is no reason to jsut let her fly away and die .. if she looks like she got hit ... i will drop her too)... why do you think you can shoot 5 green heads and 1 hen... ??? think about it....(here in kansas limit is 6) just my .2 cents
yellow
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:53 pm

Heck we only 4 and 1. :pissed:
Last edited by SCoutdoorsman on Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:55 pm

yellowlab wrote:... why do you think you can shoot 5 green heads and 1 hen... ???

Ours is only 4 and 1 :pissed: :mrgreen:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:04 pm

4 :thumbsdown: 5 :thumbsup: sorry about that SC but hey i enjoy it ... :yes:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:06 pm

I really can not complain, heck im happy :getdown: :getdown: as a loon if a limit is met where im at :laughing:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Deer and ducks are two different things. Doe are controlled by a limited number of permits or days that you can hunt them. I have not heard of any "duck damaged" areas. I thought ducks (like most birds) mate for life. I could be wrong about that. A buck will go from doe to doe untill I miss him during hunting season and he goes on somebody else's wall. It might be my lack of experience, but how many times can you tell a drake from a hen when they are flying? All I see is a bunch of mallards coming in.

I do not know if it is true with ducks, but with deer there are alot more doe than buck walking around. I do not know if a male or female duck will mate with another if they loose thier mate. There is more women than men on this earth. That seems to be natures way of doing things to keep the balance. (Is this why men have always been the warriors?) Yes I know I am jumping back and forth between deer and duck, but it is an apples and oranges argument.
Snaph
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:25 pm

Saw this on another website. Thought it was a great idea.

"10-4 on the Voluntary Restraint. We all put $20 in at the start of the season and then add $10 for every hen shot. At the end of the season we donate it towards Delta for adopt a pot hole and hen house/predator management.
Just hate seeing or hearing about future eggs perishing."
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:18 am

where i hunt, i dont see alot of drakes and there are plenty of ducks but they dont stay in the state all year, they move around. as well i see a duck coming in i take the chances i can of shooting it, but i dont get alot but im happy with 1 or 2 ducks per hunt and seeing some flocks for different species of ducks which makes the hunts enjoyable. :smile:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

5 mallards

Postby Fatweed » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:50 pm

Hey there Yellerlab... check again... i know its confusin..but ur only allowed 5 mallards in ks...of which one may be a hen... so four drakes and one hen...or 5 drakes... "From the regs"
The six-duck daily bag limit may include no
more than one pintail (in season), one mottled
duck, one canvasback (in season), two
wood ducks, two redheads, two scaup, or five
mallards, of which only one may be a hen.
Merganser limit is five, including no more
than one hooded merganser
easy to get confused...but i know the game warden isnt gonna be confused when it comes to countin em.... just thought id save ya the troubles.... Also heheh guess iffen a person wanted to interpret them himself...he could say wellllllllll I guess ya can shoot all the pintails ya want outta season... hehehehe
Fatweed
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:01 pm

Some ducks are harder to tell apart than others. But you'd better find out what your shooting at or your going to be in for a big suprise someday when someone wants to check your birds!
tstrong
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 pm

it can hurt the population if you shoot a hen. next year that hed could produce several ducks. Drakes also look better. 6 is limit in tx 2 hens
NS39340
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole