2013-2014 Season prep thread...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: 2013-2014 Season prep thread...

Postby Cujo1 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Dawn soap works well to remove the oils. When you come in from outdoors, clothes straight to the washer and you straight to the shower and wash with Dawn. It will minimize the spreading. But if you already have it as you do, the soap won't help and you just need to use something to dry it up like the others have said. We use bleach baths here for poison ivy and chiggers. My sons are terribly allergic to poison ivy and we have to battle it constantly. Personally, I don't get it :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue May 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Dawn soap works well to remove the oils. When you come in from outdoors, clothes straight to the washer and you straight to the shower and wash with Dawn. It will minimize the spreading. But if you already have it as you do, the soap won't help and you just need to use something to dry it up like the others have said. We use bleach baths here for poison ivy and chiggers. My sons are terribly allergic to poison ivy and we have to battle it constantly. Personally, I don't get it :thumbsup:

I'm going to give that bleach thing a try, maybe get it to dry up a little quicker. :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:Dawn soap works well to remove the oils. When you come in from outdoors, clothes straight to the washer and you straight to the shower and wash with Dawn. It will minimize the spreading. But if you already have it as you do, the soap won't help and you just need to use something to dry it up like the others have said. We use bleach baths here for poison ivy and chiggers. My sons are terribly allergic to poison ivy and we have to battle it constantly. Personally, I don't get it :thumbsup:

I'm going to give that bleach thing a try, maybe get it to dry up a little quicker. :thumbsup:

We mix ours about a half cup of bleach in a bath tub of water. Real diluted. If you mix it too strong it will dry out the skin real bad and give you the itching heeby jeebies so bad you won't sit still or sleep for three days! Just a cap full in the kitchen sink and wash your arm. Think, jumping in a swimming pool, which is how I figured this out as a kid. Went swimming, chiggers gone :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

We've had pretty good luck after-the-fact with chiggerex. Like mentioned before, bleach bath does wonders normally.
talltimber
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

The Fels Naptha soap will kick the living crap out of Poison Ivy.

I don't get poison ivy but have seen how well it works. My wife gets it so easy. If one leaf of it goes into the fire, she gets it from the smoke.

Have seen her whole arm lumpy and pink. Then she washed with Fels Naptha and I could watch the symptoms disappear in front of my eyes. It's that good. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Botiz630 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Indaswamp wrote:So no nutria itch? You got lucky....

I'm going to have to break down and ask, what is nutria itch?
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Tue May 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Common hunter hazard, nutria itch, is treatable
With hunting season upon us, it is a good time to talk about "nutria itch," which can be torture for those infected.

It is caused by a microscopic roundworm that burrows into the skin called strongyloides myopotami. It is called "nutria itch" because the worm normally lives in the small intestine of the nutria, which is common in Louisiana waters.

Because it has parasitic and free-living characteristics, this microscopic roundworm is considered one of the most interesting nematodes. Only the female lives in the nutria as a parasite. The female lays eggs, which pass into the water via nutria feces and hatch into larvae in a few days. The larvae easily penetrate outer clothing and rapidly tunnel through the skin, causing red, itching trails.

In humans, these roundworms are not able to reach the inner organs as they do in the nutria. The larvae eventually die, but the process can take up to several weeks. In the meantime, the victim suffers severe inflammation and itching.

Many levels of treatment are available. According to the individuals' response, treatment may vary and must be adjusted accordingly for optimal cure. I treat the most severe cases with high doses of systemic steroids, which must be adjusted according to the response over five to 10 days.

Milder cases may be treated with topical medications. Over-the-counter medications may only help in the mildest cases and usually don't work well in any cases.

s_dlv9062f2[1].png
s_dlv9062f2[1].png (49.22 KiB) Viewed 872 times

16739f1[1].jpg
16739f1[1].jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 872 times

images[2].jpg
images[2].jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 866 times
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

nutria itch....holy sh**!!! never even heard of that....

to the original thread - our club is really inaccessible currently b/c of flooding. house is on stilts and shed is up on a hill, so most of the stuff is good and dry. we just can't get to it without a boat and once your there, aint a whole lot you can do anyway. we did leave some really old ford tractors that got flooded out - it will be fun changing all the fluids and what not on those here in the next few weeks.

my preparation so far has been buying stuff...which i always do in the off-season. it is a damned addiction. calls, decoys, new waders, trading stuff with guys, all kinds of stuff.

oh, and cleaning out the 6x12 and cleaning decoys. while drinking beers of course!
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 pm

SMcGarrity wrote:to the original thread - our club is really inaccessible currently b/c of flooding. house is on stilts and shed is up on a hill, so most of the stuff is good and dry. we just can't get to it without a boat and once your there, aint a whole lot you can do anyway. we did leave some really old ford tractors that got flooded out - it will be fun changing all the fluids and what not on those here in the next few weeks

Sounds like a neat duck camp.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm

hydro turf is in, just picked it up from my buddy. :clapping:
Still waiting on the under deck gas line hose though. Hope it is in tomorrow morning.

spent the afternoon on the punch list and re-connecting wires and installing a buss bar in the motor well to clean up a God awful install job from the factory....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:22 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

With hunting season upon us, it is a good time to talk about "nutria itch," which can be torture for those infected.

It is caused by a microscopic roundworm that burrows into the skin called strongyloides myopotami. It is called "nutria itch" because the worm normally lives in the small intestine of the nutria, which is common in Louisiana waters.

Because it has parasitic and free-living characteristics, this microscopic roundworm is considered one of the most interesting nematodes. Only the female lives in the nutria as a parasite. The female lays eggs, which pass into the water via nutria feces and hatch into larvae in a few days. The larvae easily penetrate outer clothing and rapidly tunnel through the skin, causing red, itching trails.

In humans, these roundworms are not able to reach the inner organs as they do in the nutria. The larvae eventually die, but the process can take up to several weeks. In the meantime, the victim suffers severe inflammation and itching.

Many levels of treatment are available. According to the individuals' response, treatment may vary and must be adjusted accordingly for optimal cure. I treat the most severe cases with high doses of systemic steroids, which must be adjusted according to the response over five to 10 days.

Milder cases may be treated with topical medications. Over-the-counter medications may only help in the mildest cases and usually don't work well in any cases.

s_dlv9062f2[1].png

16739f1[1].jpg

images[2].jpg

Do not want.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 pm

@ Comeaux.... :biggrin:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:@ Comeaux.... :biggrin:

:lol3: :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Under the deck gas line arrived today at the boat shop. Was easier than I expected installing...

Hose in place..

Woods redoing some electrical in the motor well while I fab up the gasoline over flow drain..

over flow drain installed (outside view):

Inside view under the gas fill cap...

I got the Image hoses on!!!

Gas tank harness installed with a coonass turnbuckle assembly... :yes: Put thread locker on the bottom nut and will double nut the top and use thread lock. will get 2 additional nuts tomorrow.

gas vents installed...

not much left. couple of items left on the punch list, then clean out the boat, wipe with acetone, then install the hydro turf. :clapping:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Wed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm

the fire extinguisher works...

#welding/foam/fire
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Indawoods wrote:the fire extinguisher works...

#welding/foam/fire

A little excitement there hey Woods? :lol3: :lol3:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm

waterfowlman wrote:

#welding/foam/fire

shoulda seen it when the dust blew back on his face! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Raccoon eyes!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 am

Botiz630 wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

s_dlv9062f2[1].png

16739f1[1].jpg

images[2].jpg

Do not want.

I'll put some swamp water inda mail come August when the marsh is teaming with the larvae.....you can dump it in your bathwater (they are Loofah resistant though. :lol3: ). :biggrin:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 am

Indaswamp wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:

#welding/foam/fire

shoulda seen it when the dust blew back on his face! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Raccoon eyes!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

FI-YA inda hold!!!!!! :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Hydro turf...

Got the console bolted down. very sturdy with the rivet nuts and 1/4" x 20 bolts. put thread lock on the bolts, it should not move now!

installed a 12V plug on the left side battery for the bait tank..

Then we cleaned the tools and stuff out of the boat, vacuumed it again, then wiped the decks with rags and acetone..

got the first piece of hydro turf cut on the front deck...
finished cutting the front deck pieces, now starting on the second deck.

got all the hydro turf cut, time for Weld wood Contact cement...

Turf on the lower deck at the bottom of the pic. is glued in. will finish the rest tomorrow...it's slow going because we have to wait 15 minutes after applying the glue for it to get tacky...that means lots of beer drinkin.... :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Looks awesome ,swamp. Real niceeeeee :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Looks awesome ,swamp. Real niceeeeee :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

will be when she's finished.... I like the hydro turf, really nice on the feet while fishing. My buddy is a dealer. But my old yellow lab will flat tear it up! that's why I don't have it in any of my boats.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

will be when she's finished.... I like the hydro turf, really nice on the feet while fishing. My buddy is a dealer. But my old yellow lab will flat tear it up! that's why I don't have it in any of my boats.

We're looking at pulling the carpet out of our boat and that stuff looks pretty good. May have take a look at it. Where'd you get it?
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

We're looking at pulling the carpet out of our boat and that stuff looks pretty good. May have take a look at it. Where'd you get it?

friend is a dealer. he can order you some.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Pm sent... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole