Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

352K views 1K replies 499 participants last post by  Bpurp 
#1 ·
I thought we could start a tip of the day or just tips about anything related to hunting. Maybe the Admins can make it into a new forum if its a hit. Just post up what has worked for you through the years and what has not, heck all of us could learn something from one another. :salude:

#2 ·
You're all set in your blind when in comes a pair of drakes. You start your robo-duck motion decoy and let out a couple of calls. They're locking up and coming in until you hear thump-thump-thump. Your robo-duck's battery starts vibrating inside the decoy.

Dont learn the hard way, but by putting the battery inside a wool sock it will prevent that from happening. If the robo-duck gets off-balance for a moment, the sock cushions the sound and keeps the ducks locked up and coming in!

#3 ·
Ahhh well I have a Lucky Duck spinner and never had the battery rattle... so the tip is moot :mrgreen:

If the ducks are coming on in--shut up. I swear to god guys falre more birds because of their calling than they do on bringing them on in to the decoys.

There is a saying that can go with calling. It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people wonder if you are stupid than it is to open it a remove all doubt as to how stupid you really are when you do open it up. :yes: :laughing:

#995 ·
Well I’ve been hunting 45 years or so, guiding over 30. Once in all those years I’ve called like I was standing on the stage at Stuttgart. I love blowing my duck call. If you want to kill more ducks, tuck your call in your jacket. If you cut your calling by at least half, you’ll do much better. Promise

#9 ·
Thats what we are here for to help and learn from others in my opinion. I dont think it is b/c we dont have anyone else to talk to in life, we are all here b/c we want to be - for the ducks :thumbsup: .

#10 ·
If your decoys have begun to look dirty, and you feel like dunking them to brighten their original colors, try cleaning them before your next outing with tire cleaner foam. Simply hang your old decoys along your backyard fence, spray them thoroughly with tire cleaning solution, and let them dry overnight. The next morning, they look as good as new. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
2 questions about the tire cleaner. Does it leave the decoy shiny? Is there a brightener in it that will now have your decoys emitting unnatural UV glow? Either is not good at all IMHO...

#14 ·
h2ofwlr said:
2 questions about the tire cleaner. Does it leave the decoy shiny? Is there a brightener in it that will now have your decoys emitting unnatural UV glow? Either is not good at all IMHO...
Sorry should have been specific, use the low gloss cleaner. As far as the UV glow I dont get into all that. Just put it this way I dont wash my clothes in any special det. just for UV or scent away. Never effected my hunting either way.

Reactions: Jwhitley89
#15 ·
you can teach an old dog new tricks. I picked up a tip from this web site;wax the reeds in your single read duckcalls to prevent sticking.
like most of you i have a bag full of calls I don't use for various reasons. after reading the post about using rain-x or wax to prevent calls from sticking I dug into my bag and pulled out a call I really liked the sound of but I could'nt use because it was only good for the first flock of the day after that it wouldn't blow worth a darn unless I took it apart and cleaned and dried it. it was the perfect call for this test.

The only wax I had was the Eagle one wax as you dry (great for cars too) so I blew a few notes on the call and got it good-n-wet it started sticking of course, then I pulled it apart sprayed the reed and the insert with wax ( I didn't remove the read or cork) I uesd a dollor bill to work the wax under the reed and cork. A buck is the best thing for cleaning and to dry a call it won't tear and come apart like paper towels or tissue by the way.\
Then I wiped it all down with a soft cloth including the barrel inside and out.

Iv'e been blowing this call for 10 days and it still hasn't stuck, yes I'm a spitter, yes it was a plastic call, also it shines like a new penny, and yes I did the same to all of my single reed non wood calls.

If I knew about this 30 years ago my bag-o-calls would be much smaller

Frank

#17 ·
Late in the season, we set our decoys up so the birds will slowly cross in front of us instead of coming into our face. That way the birds aren't looking directly at you during their final approach. It isn't traditional in yo face duck hunting, but it definitely kills birds.

Hope this helps somebody else.

#18 ·
Ditto Ks_waterfowler, we also try to setup with our backs to the sun, helps us see and makes it harder for the birds to see us. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Ok Mallard im coming im coming :tounge: Here you go my good man.

For all you duck hunters who keep your dog in the back of the pickup. Some Labs don't enjoy sliding around in the bed at all. If yours doesn't like it either, just take a standard sheet of plywood (cut it to fit your bed if needed) and cover it with some outdoor carpet. It staples down easy. The whole thing slides out when you don't want it. Your dog will thank you. As an added bonus, other stuff doesn't slide as much either. :thumbsup:

Or just put a Rhino liner in it. :salude:

#23 ·
I just remember seeing one: Here is a little tip for you guys that load your goosedecoys in piles in your trailer. Look at the bases. Either Bigfoot or GHG have sharp edges all around the base. These are cutting edges and they will do a good job scraping the paint off the decoy that they are touching. Take a palm sander(hand file will work) with about 80 grit sand paper and sand these sharp edges so they are round . Trailering decoys is hard on them and this will help a little.

#24 ·
Have you ever tired duck on a log Trying getting thea log to the place ur hunting and then grap the flambeau enticer mallard decoy standing up ones and nail them to the log and it make the spread more duck like and unharmful.........hope that works for some people

#25 ·
SCoutdoorsman said:
For all you duck hunters who keep your dog in the back of the pickup. Some Labs don't enjoy sliding around in the bed at all. If yours doesn't like it either, just take a standard sheet of plywood (cut it to fit your bed if needed) and cover it with some outdoor carpet. It staples down easy.
Better yet just buy rubber backed bathroom carpet. It comes 6' wide in rolls and you can cut it to length of your pickup bed. The rubber grips the bed pretty good. Works excellent if you have topper so it does not get wet.

#26 ·
Dog rack for pick up with topper.

Put a piece of plywood that spans across the rails and about 2' wide. Staple the rubber bathroom carpet on it or screw in rubber bed liner material so the dog does not slip around and has a bit of cushion under him too. He gets to see out of the topper windows when he is lying down too. I store my emergency stuff under the rack. I use 5 gal plastic pails and put chains, etc.. in them. Spare trailer tire, lug wrnenches, etc.. extra clothing in a bucket too - it all goes under the rack.
BTW if you have a bigger dog or 2 medium dogs--you'll need to double up the 1/2" plywood because of the weight, so screw it together with 1" galv screws. Cut the second piece of plywood about 6" shorter and it goes under the longer piece. Make sure you use enough screws, and do it BEFORE you put the carpet on, eh.

Getting the rack in can be a hassle, but worth it IMHO. If you have side opening topper doors--it is real easy to do. If not I removed the window screen and slipped in the rack and reinstalled the 1/8" rubber rope that holds the screen in place. Place a topper hold down on the back side of the rack so when you accelerate the rack does not slide backwards. Actually I welded a "tab" of 3/8" x 3/4" to the metal hold downs to it so the rack would not jump it and slide backwards.

Bottom line is the dog is more comfortable and happier, and I can store more stuff in the truck. I've done this for the last 4 trucks I have owned. Works slick IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.