Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:37 am

I thought we could start a tip of the day or just tips about anything related to hunting. Maybe the Admins can make it into a new forum if its a hit. Just post up what has worked for you through the years and what has not, heck all of us could learn something from one another. :salude:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:41 am

You're all set in your blind when in comes a pair of drakes. You start your robo-duck motion decoy and let out a couple of calls. They're locking up and coming in until you hear thump-thump-thump. Your robo-duck's battery starts vibrating inside the decoy.

Dont learn the hard way, but by putting the battery inside a wool sock it will prevent that from happening. If the robo-duck gets off-balance for a moment, the sock cushions the sound and keeps the ducks locked up and coming in!
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Ahhh well I have a Lucky Duck spinner and never had the battery rattle... so the tip is moot :mrgreen:

If the ducks are coming on in--shut up. I swear to God guys falre more birds because of their calling than they do on bringing them on in to the decoys.

There is a saying that can go with calling. It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people wonder if you are stupid than it is to open it a remove all doubt as to how stupid you really are when you do open it up. :yes: :laughing:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:44 pm

:withstupid: calling does scare the ducks.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:46 pm

call at tips and tails
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:11 am

SC, I actually like this idea.
Snaph
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:13 am

me too i am all for it
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:16 am

:withstupid: :withstupid: yeah i think it will really be helpful to novice hunter (ME) when they are hunting
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:18 pm

Thats what we are here for to help and learn from others in my opinion. I dont think it is b/c we dont have anyone else to talk to in life, we are all here b/c we want to be - for the ducks :thumbsup: .
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:36 pm

If your decoys have begun to look dirty, and you feel like dunking them to brighten their original colors, try cleaning them before your next outing with tire cleaner foam. Simply hang your old decoys along your backyard fence, spray them thoroughly with tire cleaning solution, and let them dry overnight. The next morning, they look as good as new. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:42 pm

2 questions about the tire cleaner. Does it leave the decoy shiny? Is there a brightener in it that will now have your decoys emitting unnatural UV glow? Either is not good at all IMHO...
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluegill » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.
"If at first you don't succeed, reload"
bluegill
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:41 pm

:toofunny:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:17 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:2 questions about the tire cleaner. Does it leave the decoy shiny? Is there a brightener in it that will now have your decoys emitting unnatural UV glow? Either is not good at all IMHO...

Sorry should have been specific, use the low gloss cleaner. As far as the UV glow I dont get into all that. Just put it this way I dont wash my clothes in any special det. just for UV or scent away. Never effected my hunting either way.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

duck call's

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:41 am

you can teach an old dog new tricks. I picked up a tip from this web site;wax the reeds in your single read duckcalls to prevent sticking.
like most of you i have a bag full of calls I don't use for various reasons. after reading the post about using rain-x or wax to prevent calls from sticking I dug into my bag and pulled out a call I really liked the sound of but I could'nt use because it was only good for the first flock of the day after that it wouldn't blow worth a darn unless I took it apart and cleaned and dried it. it was the perfect call for this test.

The only wax I had was the Eagle one wax as you dry (great for cars too) so I blew a few notes on the call and got it good-n-wet it started sticking of course, then I pulled it apart sprayed the reed and the insert with wax ( I didn't remove the read or cork) I uesd a dollor bill to work the wax under the reed and cork. A buck is the best thing for cleaning and to dry a call it won't tear and come apart like paper towels or tissue by the way.\
Then I wiped it all down with a soft cloth including the barrel inside and out.

Iv'e been blowing this call for 10 days and it still hasn't stuck, yes I'm a spitter, yes it was a plastic call, also it shines like a new penny, and yes I did the same to all of my single reed non wood calls.

If I knew about this 30 years ago my bag-o-calls would be much smaller

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:45 pm

What no tips for today? :umm:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:04 pm

Late in the season, we set our decoys up so the birds will slowly cross in front of us instead of coming into our face. That way the birds aren't looking directly at you during their final approach. It isn't traditional in yo face duck hunting, but it definitely kills birds.

Hope this helps somebody else.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:08 pm

Ditto Ks_waterfowler, we also try to setup with our backs to the sun, helps us see and makes it harder for the birds to see us. :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:10 pm

Giv'em3 wrote:Ditto Ks_waterfowler, we also try to setup with our backs to the sun, helps us see and makes it harder for the birds to see us. :thumbsup:

That was my secret technique. :salude:
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Ok Mallard im coming im coming :tounge: Here you go my good man.

For all you duck hunters who keep your dog in the back of the pickup. Some Labs don't enjoy sliding around in the bed at all. If yours doesn't like it either, just take a standard sheet of plywood (cut it to fit your bed if needed) and cover it with some outdoor carpet. It staples down easy. The whole thing slides out when you don't want it. Your dog will thank you. As an added bonus, other stuff doesn't slide as much either. :thumbsup:

Or just put a Rhino liner in it. :salude:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:00 pm

I will try and find a tip to put up.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:04 pm

All tips are good tips mallard, I just enjoy sharing stuff I know and find with everyone. :smile:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 pm

I just remember seeing one: Here is a little tip for you guys that load your goosedecoys in piles in your trailer. Look at the bases. Either Bigfoot or GHG have sharp edges all around the base. These are cutting edges and they will do a good job scraping the paint off the decoy that they are touching. Take a palm sander(hand file will work) with about 80 grit sand paper and sand these sharp edges so they are round . Trailering decoys is hard on them and this will help a little.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Floridaboy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:19 am

Have you ever tired duck on a log Trying getting thea log to the place ur hunting and then grap the flambeau enticer mallard decoy standing up ones and nail them to the log and it make the spread more duck like and unharmful.........hope that works for some people
Where are the duck in FLORIDA
Floridaboy
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:08 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:For all you duck hunters who keep your dog in the back of the pickup. Some Labs don't enjoy sliding around in the bed at all. If yours doesn't like it either, just take a standard sheet of plywood (cut it to fit your bed if needed) and cover it with some outdoor carpet. It staples down easy.

Better yet just buy rubber backed bathroom carpet. It comes 6' wide in rolls and you can cut it to length of your pickup bed. The rubber grips the bed pretty good. Works excellent if you have topper so it does not get wet.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole