Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Postby huntforever » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:06 pm

if you want to change your water keel to weighted, try using surround bathtub glue to hold a half of a 8 oz. lead wieght.
huntforever
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:39 pm

If you guys are like me and have a problem with sweaty, cold feet in your boots or waders, try taking a stick or spray can of anti-persperant and putting it on your feet. It'll stop your feet from sweating and keep em nice and warm! :thumbsup:
-Kris
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Tip

Postby Fredito » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:49 pm

I know a few people have talked about using decoy line to keep your gun out of the drink...I went to the old dollar store...trying to find stuff for geocaching and got the idea to buy a leash...ended up with one 4 feet long...with the typical hardware on it...I will loop the hand end around through my sling and clip the snap on a d-ring or belt loop...a lot stronger then line...if you get a bright one you can tuck it in your pocket or just throw a decoy bag over it...and when your SBE falls in the water you wont be depending on your knot tying skill
Fredito
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:36 am

Place a maniquin or scare crow in your mai mai (blind) and where you feed out during the off season this gets the ducks used to people! :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:08 pm

The best decoy weights. Call a recycling center about lead sheets. The type used by plumbers to install old fashion shower floors. The lead sheets are a little thinner and more flexible than the lead mix straps you buy at the store or in a catalog. You can easily cut it into 1 inch wide strips with tin snips.

We cut ours a little bit longer than most, which allows you to wrap them more securely around the decoy heads. Being a bit softer, they don’t do as much damage to the decoys either.

On a cold day, it is nice to have a pliable piece of metal to work with when your hands are freezing and it is getting dark fast. Oh, did I mention it is very inexpensive.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:22 pm

I had a brainstorm several years back.
We had a very large snowstorm coming from the Dakotas and heading straight for us here in SE Iowa / West Central Illinois. It was guaranteed that we were going to get about 8 to 10 inches of snow, at the time we had not had any accumulated snow for the year. This was late in the goose season and the geese were very educated. I had the idea of calling a buddy of mine that worked in receiving at a trucking company and borrowed about 6 old semi tarps. I also called all of my friends and borrowed every tarp and plastic drop cloth I could get my hands on. A couple of friends and I went out the afternoon before the snow hit and covered the best part of a corn field that we had permission to hunt. We used firewood pieces to hold down the tarps. We also made 3 "bird nests" for ourselves (this was prior to the layout blind years) (positioned while factoring in the dominant NW wind) and covered them with white bed sheets and fire wood for anchors.
At about 3 am we removed the tarps and placed our bigfeet. We hid under the white bed sheets in our dry bird nests and were quite comfortable even though the weather wasn't. The geese that had flown over day after day without stopping suddenly fell in love with the pristeen snowfree cornfield and bigfeet. We limited in a couple of minutes. The snow melted and our fun was over after two days.
Don't tell any one it's a secret :thumbsup:
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:54 pm

allright... this took me forever to do. so ya'll better appriciate it. this is how I rig my jerk chords. I use a 2 liter bottle filled with sand, with a hole drilled in the top of the lid and on the side of the lid. I'd either use a VERY high pound test line or a decoy chord. The rest should be self explanitory.
The nice thing about this rig is if you don't feel like hauling the bottle out all the time, you can make a bunch of them and keep one at all your honey holes. If it's public just hide it in the bushes a little ways off so some other guy dosn't find it and steal it.
Cuse we all know how much a 2 liter bottle filled with sand is worth.. lol.
Here's the pic/diagram...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardman77 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:38 pm

Hey mallyard, if you did that in paint thats awsome! :thumbsup:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Mallyard, I have been thinking of a way to do that with a few dekes , about 5 or 6 of them, with half of them on one line and half on another, so that you could have several diving at different times. I have been watching some local ducks, and when they feed, there is about 20 of them in a tight group all butts in the air, with 3 or so of them at a time comming up and diving again.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:31 am

Mallyard Thats what I was trying to describe in the puddler duck forum, thats how we do it.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 am

kiwismakebetterlovers wrote:Mallyard Thats what I was trying to describe in the puddler duck forum, thats how we do it.

Pictures worth a thousand words, even if the words are kiwi. :mrgreen:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:57 am

Mallyard, you are heck good w/ that painting thingy..... :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:03 am

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

What to do with you boat with holes in it.

Postby whitefeather » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:03 pm

If you have an old john boat with lots of holes in it and is just taking up space at the duck club or your back yard:

Fill the bottom of the boat with rynoliner (the spray on truck bed liner) it plugs leaks bigtime. :thumbsup:
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:06 am

:withstupid:

When hunting VERY cold conditions, use neopreen gloves, as just regular waterproof gloves will freez solid and wear out the gortex FAST. After the glove freezing once or twice you mydaswell (gotta love that spelling) use them for either a dog toy or turkey gloves, cuse they won't be water proof anymore.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby doane25 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:41 pm

ducks love muddy water. right before shooting time, or when the ducks aren't flying go on out and walk around a bit and dirty things up. helped us many of times.
doane25
hunter

Postby doane25 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:48 pm

after you shoot at a flock of honkers instead of sending the dog (or the youngest guy in the blind) get back covered up and get on the call. some fast double clucking and a little luck will sometimes swing the flock back around for another shot, but don't give up a fresh flock heading your way to work some you have all ready busted. just trying to help
doane25
hunter

Postby doane25 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:57 pm

even the most experinced duck hunter can still get all excited when working a flock of ducks. take a tip out of jeff foiles playbook, take the shine off of your face by using camo on your face or wear a mask. this also makes it easier to see the ducks working most of the time so you know what call to blow. not to mention all the looks you'll get when you go to class, or the local wal mart after the hunt.
doane25
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 am

apply a small coat of petroleum jelly to ur dekes. restores color.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby doane25 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:51 pm

spend the money and but a decent lay out blind. i have a finisher and a migrator. we used them in the fields, pulblic marshes, private ponds. well worth the money
doane25
hunter

Postby paduckbuster » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:08 am

I keep a spare set of cloths (camo sweats) in space bags, ya know the kind you suck the air out with a vacum. They take up almost no space in you bag, and if you get wet you have dry cloths to get into and finish your hunt. I've spent one too many cold wet days duck hunting. Now I always have a set of dry cloths.
Death from below
paduckbuster
hunter

Postby huntforever » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:50 pm

Last Sept., 4 of us went to a frest cut bean lot. The geese where flying great, Got some down and lined them up where we were sitting. The flocks started flaring, must of seen the dead. We brought them back into the field and tuck thier heads under thier wings. They were long term asleep. The geese started to come back into the decoys and we limited out. That was a great hunt.
huntforever
hunter

Postby pintail21 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:32 am

Always let the first bird of the day work untill its clear the bird is gonna leave NOW, or its landed. Odds are unless theres a significant wind/weather change, thats what the next birds will do. If bird no. 1 lands short, open up more space for em and double check the camo. You can have the best spot in the world, but if the birds aren't comfortable at landing in your spread, they're not gonna finish em. Also experiment with calling styles early to see what they want on that particular day.

Tip #2, if you're in a slump, take target practice on low pressure targets like coots, mergies, hens and other nongame but legal to shoot birds like starlings, pidgeons and the like (be sure of your target, your state's regs and use the meat). Focus on your form and only allow yourself one shot. I find having a target where there is no pressure really helps you get back to the basics and focus on what you are doing. I mean is anyone here sad they missed a shot at a coot? I always do this when I'm hunting a spot that has no shell restrictions.

Which brings me to #3, to clean a coot place it back down, grab its legs and pull, a quick way to get a lot of meat
Some mistakes are too fun to make only once
pintail21
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:37 am

Mallyard wrote:allright... this took me forever to do. so ya'll better appriciate it. this is how I rig my jerk chords. I use a 2 liter bottle filled with sand, with a hole drilled in the top of the lid and on the side of the lid. I'd either use a VERY high pound test line or a decoy chord. The rest should be self explanitory.
The nice thing about this rig is if you don't feel like hauling the bottle out all the time, you can make a bunch of them and keep one at all your honey holes. If it's public just hide it in the bushes a little ways off so some other guy dosn't find it and steal it.
Cuse we all know how much a 2 liter bottle filled with sand is worth.. lol.
Here's the pic/diagram...Mallyard

And if you don't want to be bothered drillin holes then use old bleach or any type bottle that has a finger hole "D" type handle on it for your chord to run through. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:12 pm

:withstupid: we've used gallon milk jugs. Same idea (no drilling, or sharp edges to fray the line)
wa.duckhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole