Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Postby quack4me » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:43 pm

When my riffle scope starts fogging up, I breath thru a tube from one of my grunt calls. This should also work for waterfowlers that wear glasses.

If you don't hunt deer, buy a foot of rubber hose from the hardware store for about $.20
quack4me
hunter

if at first

Postby honkersRus » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:24 am

if at first you succeed reload
find em,
call em,
take em.
honkersRus
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:59 pm

IMPORTANT FOR ALL WATERFOWLERS!

If you get an electronic wet put it in a ziplock bag filled with uncooked rice for a few days. Should work or atleast help.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Whiskey & Me » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:40 pm

I'll play....

I have a hand held weather radio that I have clipped on to the cup holder of the truck...When heading out in the morning I play it to see what the current conditions are...Reason being is that the local weather dude is usually wrong and typically us as waterfowlers try to hunt the fronts...well if you are 1-2 hours before sun up and the front hasn't hit or is stalled you can set you spread up accordingly...

I will also listen to the weather radio at the lease to let me know if there is storms headed my way....

Really a good thing to have!

J.J.
Whiskey & Me
hunter

Postby Whiskey & Me » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Tip for hunting with kiddos...

There are several things that I typically like to bring when I have kids in tow....

Food, drink, and warmth....

Bring a couple of cokes, some snacks (peanut butter crackers, snickers, etc) I also will bring extra heat packs...for the hands and feet...along with extra face mask, and gloves...

YOU never know when they will get cold...the key is that they have a good experiance...If they don't You probably won't ever have that problem again...because they won't want to go again...(I have seen it happen to several Dads...)

J.J.
Whiskey & Me
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:17 pm

I did not want to read every page but since i Just picked up some ace anchors thougth I would pass this on.

GHG dekes have had a bad rep in some circles for chipping paint. Rubber coat ace anchors and attach them to the keels for transport. The rubber will ease the wear on the deke paint.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby ARDuckBuster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:44 pm

If you are hunting on a cold morning. Put your plug in your boat the afternoon before. It can save alot of time chipping ice at the ramp.
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Great tips guys keep em coming. :thumbsup:

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby honkersRus » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:54 am

when shooting its better to miss with good form then to hit with bad
find em,
call em,
take em.
honkersRus
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Wear your life jacket!
It's all to easy to forget when you just have to go "right over there". Water that's 20 degrees makes your muscles lock up and your chances of getting back into a boat are slim to none. Being slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes to me is worth seeing my family again. :thumbsup:
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:55 pm

To save space and keep eggs from getting crushed on camping trips, break them into clean, plastic screw-top jars before you go. A dozen eggs without shells will fit into a large plastic peanut butter jar. Packed in this manner, they'll stay fresh for a week when kept in a shaded, cool spot. Pour slowly and the eggs will plop out one at a time."

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:27 am

In daylight, deer are most active when the moon is visible in the sky. Check out when it will rise and set on days that you will be hunting, and plan to be on a stand overlooking a major deer travel corridor while the moon is above the horizon. Better yet, choose your hunting days according to when it will make its appearance during shooting hours. "

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:29 am

Tip #1 For the decoys that are a little faded go to Wal Mart and get a can of flat white spray paint for a buck and lightly mist the small patches of white just behind the decoys leg. You can also touch up the tail feathers a bit. This quick and inexpensive tip can really add visibility to your spread. How many times have you watched a raft of ducks bobbing up and down on the water and seen those white flashes from the birds?

Tip#2 In clear water try using 40 lb. test mono. for decoy line. It may sound kinda dumb but I am a firm believer that gun shy ducks can see those dark decoy strings in clear water going to every decoy in the sread and be spooked.

Tip #3 Late in the season if the birds have been pressured alot and there are alot of hunters out leave the mojo back in the truck and down size your decoy spread. Everybody and their grandfather uses a mojo or robo duck and about the same number of decoys and the ducks learn this. Its called the association factor. After the birds are shot at over and over by hunters using the mojo's the ducks associate the spinning decoy with danger. At least thats what I have seen in my neck of the woods.

Tip #4 Take a dump BEFORE you head out to the blind. :thumbsup:
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 am

NDH2OFOWLER wrote:
Tip #4 Take a dump BEFORE you head out to the blind. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: That is golden! Go before or definately take some TP with you.

:thumbsdown: Walmart :thumbsdown:

support your locally owned hardware store.

My tip probably is on here somewhere, but it can't hurt to see it again - If you miss a bird you are probably behind it. You'll have a hard time missing infront, and keep your gun swinging.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 am

Train Your Dog to Shake Off Water
There’s an easy way to keep a dog from showering you with cold water in the tight confines of a duck blind—or anywhere. When the dog is wet, raise his ear flap, command “shake,” then blow into his ear. This will make him shake his head, and the rest of his body will follow suit. With practice, the dog will discover he can avoid the annoyance by shaking as soon as he hears the command.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:41 am

Make a Duck-Blind Heater
Here’s a simple project to keep you warm on your duck hunts this fall. Get a No. 10 can with one end removed (available free from restaurants and institutional kitchens). Use shears to cut a 2x2-inch draft opening on an edge of the open end, and punch six small hot-air escape holes in the closed end. Place it open end down over a can of Sterno. The stove will radiate a relatively smokeless heat.

(these are from Field and Stream)

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:28 pm

Screw In Tree Steps With Ease
Twisting screw-in tree-climbing steps into a tree trunk may blister your hand or tear your glove. You can avoid this by slipping a 4-inch piece of 1/2-inch-diameter plastic pipe over the step to use as a handle during installation. The plastic pipe offers a firm grip, and the step will turn inside the pipe instead of in your hand.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 pm

Call and Catch Nightcrawlers
To catch nightcrawlers easily, hose down a patch of lawn for 10 minutes at sunset. Once it’s dark out, rubbing a “grunt” stick will drive them to the surface. Pound a 24-inch wooden stake halfway into the wet soil, and saw a 2-foot metal bar against it for a minute. Worms mistake the vibrations for the sounds of predatory moles. Use a flashlight with a red lens to spot the crawlers without alarming them.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:39 am

Call Deer With a Tree Root
With your knife handle and a tree root, you can arouse a deer’s natural curiosity and sometimes cause it to check your location. When you are well hidden and the woods are quiet, slowly rap your knife handle four or five times against a tree root. Repeat in 10 minutes, then wait and watch. Deer within earshot may move and reveal themselves.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 am

If you wear glasses, one thing you can count on is that they are going to fog up. Here’s how to stay fog-free.

First, get some dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn or Joy) and a soft cotton cloth. Rinse your glasses in cold water, then apply one to two drops of detergent to the fronts and backs on your lenses. Polish both sides with the cloth until all streaks are gone. When you’re done, your glasses will be clean and won’t fog for at least five or six hours, even in humid conditions.

Do not use paper towls to dry them they will scratch the lenses.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Cork grips and reel seats on fishing rods sometimes loosen or become cracked, making for a wobbly reel mounting. You can check for problems by gripping the cork with one hand and the reel seat with the other and attempting to twist back and forth. If you detect any give, squeeze epoxy glue into the affected area. Epoxy is also good for filling cracks that appear in the cork grip. "

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 am

An accurate fish-measuring trough makes it possible to sort out slot-size fish quickly and harmlessly. Using 1x6-inch boards, construct a V-shaped trough with a wooden stop at one end. Butt a yardstick against the stop and fasten it to the inside of the trough. Use an indelible felt-tipped pen to mark minimum and maximum slot sizes for various fish species on the inner wall. "

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:02 am

Protect Your Hull From Abrasion
Allowing your beached boat to wallow in the waves can damage the hull very quickly. To prevent this, lay a sturdy 3-foot 2x4 at the water’s edge, and slide the bow up onto the board. This will keep the keel, which is the area most susceptible to damage, from rubbing against rocks and sand. Stow the beaching board in the boat so you have it handy every time you go ashore.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:04 am

Organize your mess kit
When camping, tie a many-pocketed carpenter’s apron at eye level on a tree trunk within reach of your cooking site. Fill the pockets with cooking utensils and a pair of long-handled pliers for handling hot pots and pans. The apron pockets provide a means of organizing utensils so you will always know where they are and have them close at hand when you need them.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 am

Reduce Recoil
You can reduce recoil in an underweighted shotgun by adding in a 4-ounce slug of lead to the stock. Remove the buttplate and drill a 5/8-inch hole 3 inches into the center of the stock butt, parallel to the barrel. Fill a 3-inch length of 5/8-inch copper tubing with lead melted from old tire-balancing weights. When cool, tap the lead-filled pipe into the hole and replace the buttplate.

Or if your gun butt is hollow put some shot inside it.

Gooseboy
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole