Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

decoy weights

Postby getusum67 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:36 am

If you hunt deep water use a rail road spike for your weight on your decoys , you can roll any amount of line on the spike you need , jus put a half hich on the the spike to hold line in place to your ready to put your deks out. when ready to set out take half hich off an let spike go it will set it self to the rite delph. when the water rises on your sread it will un roll off the spikes to keep your decoys at the wright delpth. IF you have alot of current with high water put a cach line down 100 yards from your spreed to cach any floating decoys , put a weight in the middel of your cach line so no one cuts it with ther boat moter. hope this help ya out sum.
call,em in close kill,em clean!!!!!!!!!
getusum67
hunter

Postby QuackAttacker » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:48 pm

NEPAhunter wrote:Haha... last September I put a milk in my locker... last june I took it out and threw it at my friend.... it wasn't pretty and neither were the padlocks on my locker for the next week haha.

Oh man, not the milk... my friend did that... he put some on some cereal in his locker and and left the rest in the container. On the last day when we had to clean out lockers, it was all moldy and gross. Another friend accidently spilled milk in his monte carlo and when it dried up, it smelled soo bad.

As for the tip of the day, milk will stink when it turns sour. :thumbsup:
QuackAttacker
hunter

Postby brady » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:57 pm

mallardhunter you are the man :getdown:
So are ya gonna shoot some biiiiirds errrrr...what?
brady
hunter

MY TIP FOR THE DAY

Postby AWOTIS » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:15 pm

IF YOU HUNT WITHOUT A DOG OR WADERS TAKE A SMALL COLLISIBLE FISHING POLE WITH YOU. HAVE A LARGE WEIGHT 3/4 OZ FOR DISTANCE AND A BOBBER IF YOUR NOT A GOOD CASTER , AND THROW IT OUT OVER YOUR DOWNED BIRD AND REEL IT IN.
THE IDEA IS TO GET THE LINE OR WEIGHT UNDER A WING AND IT WILL COME RIGHT IN. EVEN IF YOU JUST BUMP THE BIRD IT WILL START PULLING IT IN TO SHORE.
HAVE HEARD OF SOMEPEOPLE USEING A LARGE TREBLE HOOK ON THE LINE TO SNAG THE BIRD. THE SMALL ICE FISHING POLES WORK GREAT FOR IT TOO.

JUST AN IDEA FROM A POOR DUCK HUNTER WHO GOT TIRED OF WADEING IN COLD WATER...... :smile:
AWOTIS
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:22 pm

NDH2OFOWLER wrote:Use Tube socks to put over decoy heads that are flocked.

Use Black dress socks or womens stockings, the tube socks leave white cotton fibers on the heads
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckdog » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:00 pm

If your waders don't fit your feet just right, and your socks come down and end up at your toes. Use duct tape, and tape your pants, and socks together, they don't come down anymore!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby anvilhead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:09 am

I would never go to my blind without my whistle...USE the whistle! It works no matter what the species is that is coming to your decoys. When I hunt with my brother i use the duck call he uses the whistle and tips and tails are when to call. Call only when they are going away. If they are coming in by all means let them join you darn near in the blind!

DO IT IN THE MARSH
anvilhead
Newb

Postby OLD MISSALOT » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 am

NEVER INSULT THE ALLEGATOR TILL YOU'VE CROSSED HIS RIVER! :salude: :salude:
If you think like a duck you'll wind up in a pot!
OLD MISSALOT
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:33 am

OLD MISSALOT wrote:NEVER INSULT THE ALLEGATOR TILL YOU'VE CROSSED HIS RIVER! :salude: :salude:

I agree, did he try and mess with you?
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:45 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:I agree, did he try and mess with you?

He tried to mess with me, but I ended up with a new pair of boots. :yes: :yes:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 am

OOPS sounds like he tried to mess with the wrong one!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 pm

:toofunny: I have never seen a gator here in Oklahoma and if I do, he won't last long, if have anything to do with it. :yes:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby D'Burg Duck Smasher » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:43 pm

If you hunt with water keel decoys and would like weighted keel,put a cotton spindle in the keel and tap it in with a hammer, works just as good and alot of cotton farmer would probably give you all you want.
Don't cut em no slack
D'Burg Duck Smasher
hunter

Postby the legend » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:28 pm

repair decoys that have been shot by drilling a hole under the tail and filling it with spray foam
"A legend in his own mind."
the legend
hunter

Postby UTmarshrat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 pm

when hunting with weighted keel deeks on a semi calm day try stomping
the decoy string into the mud. push it down just enough to barely bring the
rear off the water. the light waves will bounce off the deeks and create ripples. good cheap motion.
- slummin' for ducks -
UTmarshrat
Newb

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:58 pm

duckdog wrote:If your waders don't fit your feet just right, and your socks come down and end up at your toes. Use duct tape, and tape your pants, and socks together, they don't come down anymore!!!

Or buy ankle garters.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby casey_714 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Gooseboy wrote:Or buy ankle garters.

I don't know... The duck tape is more manly :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby JAKE H » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:27 am

Recently on a goose/duck hunt, we had out 8 goose floaters & 4 goose butt style feeders. There were plenty of geese flying but are spread didn't have much draw. We tried flagging from the blind as a last resort not much luck {gives away your position and looks unatural} I had a telescopic decoy hook 16' and luckily some black tape, undid my flag from the little screw on the handle so it could fly freely and attached it to the decoy pole, walked out stuck the rig in the decoys up wind side, started pulling geese of the river quick. worked a small group killed one. then went out and added a few more flags to it and we were covered up in them, tried this again in a small creek inbetween a thick wood line and worked a pair in that landed right beside the pole. also brought the ducks :thumbsup:
JAKE H
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Oh yea I forgot tapeing a hot hands pack to your spinner battery or camcorder battery will extend the life by almost 1/3 or better on those really cold days
JAKE H
hunter

Postby mmelody » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:58 pm

If you hunt rivers where the depth changes from location to location, put metal shower rings (they cost about $1 a dozen) through the keel hole. Just run the line through the ring to adjust the depth. It works great!
mmelody
Newb

Postby MOwaterfowler » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:08 pm

if useing decoys in the timber and the birds want to work but wont come in move the decoys away from the blind. the landing path might be clogged by the decoys. we did this a few days ago and suddenly the ducks started swooping in and landing infront of the blind, well they tried to atleast.

apparently their was some relation of tree position and wind direction i couldn't sence but the ducks could.

cutting back the spread as mentioned would have prolly worked to.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 am

Tip of the day... whenever someone in your blind shoots a hen , that person is then obligated to buy a six-pack in their buddies favorite flavor. Not so much a tip as a code to live by...
dudejcb
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:05 pm

hide then call

if their looking at you don't hide stay still.

did it all bass akwards last weekend.

ouak ouak hey here they came (we hides) ducks turn. darn it whats spooking them you doing something funny bro. nope not me i'm hideing when you say hide. me to wonder whats up. about noon it hit me :pissed:
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 pm

hide and stay hidden..........problem solved.

Any time you get up and start walking in the decoys or moving around, the birds come in and see you. Lesson learned a long time ago.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 pm

when hunting in a field and the birds are in the field but not were you are don't be stubborn and move.

learned that one today kept thinking i should move over by that tree line all them ducks are following 30 min later still thinking it.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole