Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Postby Poke Boater » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:59 am

TooTall wrote:Wear your life jacket!
It's all to easy to forget when you just have to go "right over there". Water that's 20 degrees makes your muscles lock up and your chances of getting back into a boat are slim to none. Being slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes to me is worth seeing my family again. :thumbsup:

"Well! I'll be dogged!" Arthur "Arkansas" Hunnicutt, "The Big Sky"

Too Tall is right "on" as you probably "buckle up" you and your family for a short drive because it's the (state) law of logic. Wearing your life jacket is pure logic!

Been a while, and the river's risin'!!

PB :thumbsup:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:24 pm

best tip i can think of. go to your word processer on your computer, print up a sign that says.

CURRENTLY HUNTING or something of that matter
this way people will see this and not worry when they see a car parked right next to a field randomly.
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Franchi wrote:Heres a little tip I heard from an old timer at the hunting camp. If you are interested in making your own decoy weights by melting your own lead, try using a muffin pan for the mold. I have used this before and my weights came out perfect. I also used clothes line wire instead of coat hangers for the hooks and the clothes line wire lets you have something bendable to wrap around the keel or head for a sucure line setup.

Good Luck

:salude:

or try pouring cement into paper cups when its dry it comes straight out no trouble
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:52 pm

Make a fullproof fire starting kit-

Completly water proof

melt some of the wifes old candles down in the oven (i did this in a meatloaf pan)

Cut some cardboard squares that will fit in a altiods box except a bit thinner.

Soak these in the wax, then take them out and let it harden.

Then soak a bunch of matches in it

lastly soak the match striker in wax, then put it all in the altiods can. when it come time to light a fire, pick the wax off the red part of the match and the striker peice. light the match, then light a cardboard square. this will burn about 5 minutes (long enough to light even wet tinder)

this has saved my butt more than once!
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:40 pm

hey thats a good one, and reminds me of something similar

For lighting wet wood, or hard to start logs:

Soak a piece of cardboard in cooking oil, then light. The oil slows the burn and it should last long enough to get your kindeling going! :thumbsup:

Great for backyard smokers
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Just carry a bag of corn chips with you. They light easily and the oil in them burns hot for a long time.

After seeing one burn, you`ll ask yourself," do I really need to be eating these things ".

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:17 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Just carry a bag of corn chips with you. They light easily and the oil in them burns hot for a long time.

After I was done eating them, I wouldn't have anything to light a fire with!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby cONG » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:36 am

duck tap around your lag and pants we you go turkey hunt it help with the tiks
cONG
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:08 pm

cONG wrote:duck tap around your lag and pants we you go turkey hunt it help with the tiks

"Duck tape around your legs and pants when you go turkey hunting, it helps with ticks. Thought I would translate that for ya. :laughing: :laughing: :umm:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:22 pm

It is probably too late in the season for a lot of you, but if you wear waders, it helps you shoot better if you undo the strap for the shoulder that you bring your gun up to.

Most of the season I didn't do this, and my gun would sometimes "slide" off of my shoulder. One of the guys I hunt with made the suggestion, and I'll tell you what, it works great.

Ross
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby Green in the Blood » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 pm

you shoot better if you undo the strap for the shoulder that you bring your gun up to.

Well this sounds like something i can blame all those wasted shells on. Either that or i just cant shoot. Besides, I wear my outer over my waders :D
"When you got the green in your blood, its hereditary."

Patternmaster all the way. If your not shooting a Patternmaster, your givin' those greenies to big of a chance.
Green in the Blood
hunter

Quick Boat Repair

Postby BigRiver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Buying a new boat is not always in the budget if you happen to have probelms.

Like, say, punching a hole in the bottom of your aluminum flatbottom going over a beaver dam? :yes: I found out that Duct Tape can not only go 200MPH but if applied properly will take on that obstacle the next day! :thumbsup:

Oh, for a more permanent fix fiberglass works great even on aluminum. Cheap/quick/easy!

Cheers
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Postby #1wingnut » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 am

Look both ways BEFORE crossing the street!
And DON'T fart near open flames!
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:38 pm

having a sharp knife is key when hunting. what you do after getting those ducks back to your friend's house is take out your knife, pull out an unopened wad of 20 dollar bills, take the knife and cut the seal on the wad of twenties. throw a few of the twenties at your buddy and he'll clean those birds for you.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Baretta » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:53 am

Drake calls are more effective once you have their attention, then silence at last approach, soft is better. Dig a hole just deep enough for your feet to touch the bottom sit on the ground and make as small a blind as possible, too many people build" hotels" not blinds Minimize. you dont have to sit right next to your hunting partner. Also blind up your dog 20 yds away and minimize your dog will also be able to mark better

DMD
Baretta
hunter

Postby mattm25tx » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:12 pm

I always carry a can of rem oil in my pac just incase your gun does get wet or muddy you can do a quick cleaning in the blind (usully without dissasembly) to get you back on the birds.

if you have a problem with other hunters encroching on you when on public land when you were there first take a few rechargeable lanterns and set them up in areas around where you are hunting so after they park next to your trucks and walk in knowing there are already people there it looks like there are already way too many hunters and they will go find there own place to hunt since they decided to sleep in.

And if you are hunting a place with a hog problem make shure you carry something other than duck loads cause they will not knock down an pissed off boar. 45 works good for me. just make shure you are legal game wardens will give you hell on public land if you dont have a carry permit.
Matts Mobile Marine Service

If your not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room
mattm25tx
hunter

hunting tips

Postby specwaker » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:58 pm

Make sure your wife has a good paying job so you can take time off work and not dent your buget to badly! :grooving:
WADDA YA MEAN I MISSED?
specwaker
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 pm

When you are after a crippled diving ducks, row upwind of the area the duck last dove. This will give you the advantage of having the wind at your back when the duck resurfaces. Also, try to keep the boat in a position so the duck will surface to the left if the shooter is right-handed and to the right if the shooter is left-handed.

water_swatter
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Geese are easy to age. Simply look at their tail feathers. Juvenile geese have a V notch at the tip of their tail feathers. Adult geese, however, have a rounded or pointed tip on their tail feathers.

water_swatter
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Forstner » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:09 pm

i have had this idea for a long time!!...if i was older and had alot of money i would make a set of waders that where the straps on top was a sash kinda..where it raps around only one side of the body leaving your shooting arm open..this leaves more pocket room up on the chest also!...i know the sash thing may sound girly kinda but hey..you would shoot with an open arm!!!
Forstner
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:06 am

Forstner, just go over your shoulder with one strap and tuck the other one through your armpit, walla, your shooting arm is free once more!
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby water_swatter01 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 am

When cleaning up waterfowl at home or back at camp, be sure to place the birds in the side of the kitchen sink that does not contain the garbage disposal. Unlike softer lead shot, an errant steel shot pellet, especially large shot sizes, can lock up your disposal and cost you an expensive plumbing
bill. :oops:

water_swatter
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:58 am

sounds like an OOPS moment
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby water_swatter01 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:47 pm

Does anybody make their own scent blocker? I read an article about it a while back.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Ducks at a Distance, by Robert W. Hines

Kind of helpful!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18884/18 ... 8884-h.htm
ninethreeeleven
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole