Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby karl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm

they should add a how to forum so when guys make somthing they can share it so the rest of us can do it to like how to make decoys or w/e
karl
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 pm

that would be a great, helpful forum! :thumbsup: PM one of the Mods, they can probably send it up to the admin, or just PM the admin.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby TNT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Those new ankle fit waders can be a pain to put on, buy a box of heavy duty ZIP LOK (freezer bag, one gallon) to keep in your blind bag. Put one of these over each foot and you won't believe how eazy it is. One will last about 6 or 7 times.
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Duck calling

Postby duckhunter81 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:42 pm

I am horrible at calling ducks, is there a good CD out there to help (when and how to call_? I usually let other people I hunt with call bu twould like to be able to do it myself.
Hunting isn't a hobby, it's a way of life.
duckhunter81
hunter

Postby WillHuntForFood » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:00 pm

You could try going down to your local town park with the pond, you know the one everybody calls the "duck pond" because all those people are hand feeding the wild ducks. Sit and listen to them for awhile. Go home and try to make the same sounds, when you feel you got them down go back to the pond with your call and call to the ducks. This way you can see how they react to your calling, and if you scare them off all you need is some cracked corn and they will come right back. Worked for me, saw a big difference in my calling. Hope this helps you.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it must be dinner.
WillHuntForFood
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:31 pm

TNT wrote:Those new ankle fit waders can be a pain to put on, buy a box of heavy duty ZIP LOK (freezer bag, one gallon) to keep in your blind bag. Put one of these over each foot and you won't believe how eazy it is. One will last about 6 or 7 times.

In colder climates, putting a ziplock bag over your feet is a TERRIBLE idea. Many many hikers have lost limbs that way. Ziplock bags hold in moisture, when your foot sweats the liquid all stays against your skin. At least wear socks under them, even then, it really isn't safe in sub freezing temps.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby quackerwacker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Not even superman can move his entire spread in two trips without wrapping up the weights. Trust me, if you are moving your spread wrap up the cords and weights. Spent at least an hour today untangling decoys after thinking I could hold the weights and drag the decoys floating behind me across the pond.
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Jerk Cords

Postby NCALGunr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 pm

I use 1/2 pvc with a T glued to one end...run spider wire line thru T..bury T in pond.. end of spider wire has a snap swivel...attach swivel to drake pintail. run line back to blind...now between T and blind attach two more decoys by putting a half hitch knot around their necks....the end result will be the drake will bob like a feeder, the two others will move back and forth creating nice movement etc...
Killin fast Food!
NCALGunr
hunter

Postby kms399 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:52 pm

seems very simple but buy a cover for your boat. I cant tell you how often i talk to people that lost decoys out of the boat. I have found life jackets, decoys, waders all sorts of gear on the roads. buy your self a cover and don't worry about bagging decoys ever again.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:36 am

use ladders as full size goose decoy holders, cut the ladder, (wooden) to disered length then put little u brackets on the sides then install pvc or metal legs on the side and make sure the decoys arent standing, meaning get the legs higher up than the decoys. This will prevent your 100 dollar decoys get paint chiped

and flock your gosse decoys heads, all of them, shells, floater, and of course your full bodys better be!
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:34 pm

Sew a large button on the shoulder of your hunting coats to keep your gun sling from sliding off while you're setting out and picking up your decoys. It'll keep you from having to reach down to the bottom of the lake to get your gun. :thumbsup:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Fili » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:55 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

:lol:
Either that or pour a cup of coffee and light a cig. this always works for me.
I'd rather be hunting than talking to you here.
Fili
hunter

Postby mgriffiths05 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:06 pm

nothing brings in the greenheads like a skillet full of sausage and country ham
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:14 pm

Something i had just reallized last night when i found a tape recorder after i just baught a new duck call, is that you can call and record yourself calling, then play it back. I really liked actually getting to listen to what it sounds like when i call. I feel just a few minutes of it let me pick out things that i didnt like with my calling.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:31 pm

:thumbsup: just learned this one if you ever need AA batterys just go buy a square lattern battery pop the top on it and it will have about 20 - 30 AA's in it for a 16th of the price
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby Arkduckhunter » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Like the Battery tip Ugly Ford! Thanks never knew that!

Evan
Shoot em' in the Face Boys!!!
Arkduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:52 pm

:rofl: Ugly Ford:

I thought I was the only one who knew of this.. some of them are even rechargeable.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dunnitnadually » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:59 am

I've made face paint out of food coloring, flour and water. Tip of the day, don't make face paint out of food coloring, flour and water.
Dunnitnadually
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks man that was good.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Easy, Cheap, and effective snow floaters.

Just get on a local swap shop radio program or look for someone selling some old flamb duck floaters. Preferably mags. You can usually pick them up for dirt cheap. Invest in some white, black, and a little pink for bills, spray paint. you can use the black for the wing tips and use it for a light over spray on the white to make blues. Withing a couple hours and maybe a buddie, you can have a heck of a snow spread. And they work!

Matt
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

tip o the day

Postby duckin-A » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:18 am

this may be a bit personal, BUTT inevitably in the outdoors mother nature calls, and can leave you with that not so fresh feeling.....try using
personal hygene/moist wipes disposable biodegradable. you will be happy and more comfortable after!!!! your hunting buddies will appreciate it too!
Wal-Mart has a great selection, find the one that's right for you! :thumbsup:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Brydog » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:29 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
TNT wrote:Those new ankle fit waders can be a pain to put on, buy a box of heavy duty ZIP LOK (freezer bag, one gallon) to keep in your blind bag. Put one of these over each foot and you won't believe how eazy it is. One will last about 6 or 7 times.

In colder climates, putting a ziplock bag over your feet is a TERRIBLE idea. Many many hikers have lost limbs that way. Ziplock bags hold in moisture, when your foot sweats the liquid all stays against your skin. At least wear socks under them, even then, it really isn't safe in sub freezing temps.

If you're secure in your masculinity, and don't mind being teased by your blind buddies, a pair of Leggs panty hose works great. Just cut em' off at the knees.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Camo Clad Warrior » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Not sure if this one has been covered and seems a little obvious for the more expierenced guys. This one is going out to all the newbs.

When your calling if you are hearing yourself echo real good you probally calling to loud. Calling ot loud is a mistake i hear and see people make.
I am a real tree hugger!

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Take a kid Hunting!
Camo Clad Warrior
hunter

Postby DE-Bowhunter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:25 am

when relieveing your self of the morning gurgles, make sure your waders are pulled forward, makes your hunting buddies move to the other end of the blind..

WHAT???????????
DE-Bowhunter
hunter

Postby DE-Bowhunter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:28 am

For those of you that wear face paint camo. Carry baby wipes and a mirror.. nothing like forgetting it and walking into a store with it on... BEEN Hunting?????? heres your sign..
DE-Bowhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole