Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby Camo Clad Warrior » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm

I always leave my facepaint on untill i get home. but than again I live in a community were it is not any thing new. I dont think i have ever been questioned because of it.
I am a real tree hugger!

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Take a kid Hunting!
Camo Clad Warrior
hunter

Postby MstWntd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 am

DE-Bowhunter wrote:For those of you that wear face paint camo. Carry baby wipes and a mirror.. nothing like forgetting it and walking into a store with it on... BEEN Hunting?????? heres your sign..

Heh.
We have a group of guys that go hunting for geese, about 12 of us. Every morning we go into Dippin' Donuts with all our hunting stuff on and all...the only thing we don't bring in is the guns.
MstWntd
hunter

montana

Postby benhunting » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 am

have any body hunted in montana and is it good
benhunting
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:54 pm

for a cheap decoy hook, take an extendable golf ball retriever, pull off the end, and screw a rubbercoated hook that you use to hang a bike in the garage. It will collapse to 4ft, but extend to 12ft. I'll never go out without mine
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 am

Tip of the Day...the GHG deeks sometimes give me trouble trying to get the keel all the way in to the clicking point. I found that Dawn or Joy or any liquid soap works, but have found that KY Jelly really does the trick. And it doesn't make a sheen on the water and basically just dissolves when you throw out the deeks.
Willie
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 am

To keep those weights on a decoy in the bag, take an old bike tire bladder and cut it into strips about in inch wide. Take the loops of rubber and tie it with the decoy's string just above the wieght. When you wrap the decoy up, take the rubber loop and put it around the head, tail or keel to keep the line wrapped up
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 pm

I dont know if this will work, but i am thinking about hunting a river over in kalamazoo way (the paw paw river) that happens to go through our property. the current of the river is pretty strong and i was thinking about putting a net stretched across the river to catch the ducks when the get shot and fall into the water. that way i wont have to chase the ducks down the river when i shoot them.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby rmh » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Net on the river. The Game Wardens, or whatever they're called where you are, may look at that as netting, or attempting to net, fish.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Thu May 01, 2008 7:02 pm

not if there is a bunch of deasd ducks in it :thumbsup:

it doesnt have to be in the water real deap, just enough to cathc the bird.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri May 02, 2008 6:02 am

flight canceled wrote:not if there is a bunch of deasd ducks in it :thumbsup:

it doesnt have to be in the water real deap, just enough to cathc the bird.

FC you get the right CO on the wrong day and you would be screwed, call the rap line ask them to have your local co call you and check with him/her could save you some money and it is always good to be on a first name basis with all the CO's
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby flight canceled » Mon May 05, 2008 7:02 pm

it was just a thought. i have always thought it would be a good idea, but i have never hunter a river. but you prove a good point.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 pm

Although most hunters will have one when they go out, sometimes you forget things.

NEVER, EVER, GO OUT IN A BOAT WITHOUT A KNIFE. You never know when survival could be as simple as cutting a decoy line off a prop.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby jkkaywoo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Im a total newbie but here is what I have learned.
If you ever need a quick patch on your waders but dont have a patch kit, guerilla glue did wonders for me.

Keep a cheap call in you truck and practice, its helped me come a long way.

This may be obvious but I learned the hard way. If your girlfriend or wife asks you what you are thinking about, the answer is not duck hunting. She will then tell you its all you do, all you spend your money on, and all you think about. followed by you never take me out to eat any more, your always on that explative website, and you dont spend enough time with her. The corect answer I think is her, even work is better than duck hunting etc.
jkkaywoo
hunter

fixin decoys

Postby Indawoods » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:43 am

If you ever misjudge that cripple kill shot and hear brraaaaaappp, here's a cheap permanent fix. Find some thin black hdpe (high density poly ethylene), we use Havoline motor oil bottles, washed thoroughly, and cut pie shaped pieces 1/4 by 1/2 inch or a little smaller depending on shot size, place point in hole, light with match, when it burns down to the decoy blow it out. beats the hell out of silicone or RTV. Easy to carry precut wedges in the field with you.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:44 pm

jkkaywoo wrote:Im a total newbie but here is what I have learned.
If you ever need a quick patch on your waders but dont have a patch kit, guerilla glue did wonders for me.

Keep a cheap call in you truck and practice, its helped me come a long way.

This may be obvious but I learned the hard way. If your girlfriend or wife asks you what you are thinking about, the answer is not duck hunting. She will then tell you its all you do, all you spend your money on, and all you think about. followed by you never take me out to eat any more, your always on that explative website, and you dont spend enough time with her. The corect answer I think is her, even work is better than duck hunting etc.

use to call in the truck i used to stop at the my nieghbors goose farm at night and listen to the geese honk then i would attempt to copy it only problem was at 12:30 at night goose calls tend to wake nieghbors :yes:

it also hilarious to see the reaction from people when ur in the school parking lot hailing on ur calls
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 pm

it's even better in the hallways :yes:

diaphragm calls are a good way to distract a teacher long enough to forget to assign homework :biggrin:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Cashman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm

idahofowler wrote:it's even better in the hallways :yes:

diaphragm calls are a good way to distract a teacher long enough to forget to assign homework :biggrin:

I blew my goose call in English class one day for a speech. Got every teacher in the adjacent rooms going "what the ---'s going on" I'll never forget that :hammer:
Some things are like wiping before pooping, they just don't make any sense.
Cashman
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 pm

i blew a call once in english class while the teacher was out he heard it and took it for the weekend

he actually used it to thats the bad part
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby swampwise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 am

buy a streamlight super tac. youll never need another flashlight, ever.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:11 pm

i dropped my dads 2 hundred dollar police streamlight in the lake twice in a row in one morning. only the second time i wasnt lucky enough to retrieve it.

tip of the day...

you better be good at lieing if you borrow a flashlight without asking, and then loose it :thumbsup:
flight canceled
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 pm

flight canceled wrote:i dropped my dads 2 hundred dollar police streamlight in the lake twice in a row in one morning. only the second time i wasnt lucky enough to retrieve it.

tip of the day...

you better be good at lieing if you borrow a flashlight without asking, and then loose it :thumbsup:

-It was the dog I swear!! :biggrin:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby smitty07 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:43 am

Do most of you insert goose decoys in your spread. I have heard to put the goose decoys way out in front of your spread because the duck normally want to land inside of them is that true? I have only been hunted duck for a year now and me and my brothers are really getting into it.
Any tips of help would be great!
smitty07
hunter

decoy carts!

Postby CaliHunter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:08 pm

heres the best decoy cart you could ever want for refuge hunting with moderate to small spreads. i saw a baby jogger 3-wheel cart at a garage sale i picked it up for 6$. went home and painted it with camo spray paint. some of the new ones have small bike tires this older one had large inflatable bike tires, which is better for pushing offroad. anyways i hunt alot of refuges with a lot of competition and its an all out race to the good holes. this cart is a "jogger" so you can if u want virtually run with it with ease. this cart can hold two and a half dozen dekes in a bag, 2 shotgunns our jackets on warm mornings a robo, 2 windducks with poles and 2 or even 3 limits of ducks. these carts can be pushed with one hand and work so well that my friends who own expensive cabela deer carts and well thought out home built carts always want me to bring my six dollar jogger instead. try it out it makes life a bit easier at o'dark 30!!!!!
CaliHunter
Newb

My tip fo the day

Postby DeadEye81 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:17 pm

I can't stand it when old timer duck hunters see that the wind is out of the north and so they say that to have a successful hunt, you have to set your decoys on the north side of that particular pond, lake, or slough.
I have had many a good morning with decoys set up on the south side of a slough when the wind is blowing out of the north; actually many GREAT mornings this season.
My best advice is always, where you many ducks sitting during day (in a particular spot) is where they want to be. Many of the sloughs I hunt have fresh water shrimp in them. Ducks of all breeds love to feed on these critters and I let the ducks feeding habits dictate where I will place my decoys, not the wind.
Old standbys are not always stand up ideas!
DeadEye81
hunter

Postby 6_Shells_2_A_Limit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 am

GET A DOG!!! :thumbsup:
6_Shells_2_A_Limit
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole