Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:45 am

SC mentioned heat is a not good with decoys, especially when stored. Lets expand on that. (pun intended.)

Do not store decoys in the garage attic/ceiling where there is high heat--SC mentioned the results. Best to have them stored on the garage floor, basement, or a well ventilated storage shed works too that is out of the hot sun.

As for full bodies like BigFoots, do not stack them more than 3 high as their weight, with the warm weather will make dimples on the body to the decoys at the bottom of the pile. These dimples may not readily pop out beeing it was dimpled all summer long. So keep it in mind so you will have many years of trouble free decoy use.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:33 pm

If the ducks aren't decoying like they should, don't be afraid to get out and change stuff around with birds flying. We went through 11 different theories this morning before finding one that worked. Killed 3 ducks in 2 hours before switching even with haundreds flying at any given time. After switching it was fast and furious.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Greenheadgetter » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:39 pm

I only really know one good tip: Dont eat yellow snow!
Greenheadgetter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:46 pm

:laughing: Thats a good one to use too.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby KrzyKjun » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:48 am

I always carry a couple of hot-glue gun sticks and a lighter in my bag. That way if I develop a leak in my waders or find a decoy with a couple of holes in it, I just use the lighter to melt the end of the glue stick and smear it over the decoy hole or wader hole.

Wader repair is temporary but will last you the hunt until you can get home and affect permanent repairs to them.
Far better it is to dare mighty things,
To win glorious triumphs even tho checked by failure,
Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
Because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
KrzyKjun
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:45 pm

:thumbsup: good one
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby travo » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:06 pm

if your duck hunting accomplice is left handed, have him sit on your right, as lefties can swing their guns to the right easier. if you are left handed, sit on his right. and if you are both ambidextrious, sit on your buddies shoulders.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm

When you are wading out in the morning in the dark and trying to put out your decoys it can be difficult to keep a hold of your flashlight. I had mine stuck in my wader pocket and it fell out while I was throwing a decoy across the water. So on my other flashlight I took some decoy string and tied it through the hole on the bottom of the flashlight and made a loop so I could where it around my neck. Now you can have easy access to your flashlight and not have to worry about dropping it in the water.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:53 pm

For most things that can get lost in the drink a string/rope/cord/etc to keep them in check is always a good idea. For flashlights though, if you have never tried a headlamp, you owe it to yourself! They are a saving grace!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:07 pm

yeah headlamps are sweet i just got a super bright 1 watt led browning headlamp. you can see the whole spread with it. i use to use for years a snake light wrapped around my neck. works real good just not super bright. and there only 8 bucks at walmart. tieing stuff off is good specially while layout hunting. definately tie off your gun.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:07 pm

I plan on getting a headlamp soon, There's been many times it would have come in handy. The flashlight and string is all I've got to work with for now, but I'll have one in the near future.
quackkiller
hunter

keep that gun in check?

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:27 am

aside from a sling, where would you tie your gun in order to retrieve it from the drink if it should happen to fall in? My best guess would be on the stock where the swivel is...it seems out of the way enough...

Do any of you do this? do you leave the other end loose or tie on to your boat or something?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:06 pm

yeah tie it to the stock shoulder strap eye or the swivel. definately tie the other end off to your boat.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Here if your in a powered boat the guns must be cased while the boat is under power so we tie the case though the handle onto the boat. Keep the sport alive take akid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:44 pm

what if you have to take the boat out to get a cripple?
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:48 pm

donell67 wrote:what if you have to take the boat out to get a cripple?

Hope the water is no deeper than your waders, if you dont have a dog. :mrgreen:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fabes468 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:12 pm

well i saw this one in a magazine today and i thought it was neat...you take a decoy and tye on a line to its head...then you thread the line to a heavy weight trought the loop and then your sitting on the shore you pull the line and it looks like the duck is feeding :thumbsup:
fabes468
hunter

Postby heeler » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Something else you can use for your roboduck battery is a can koozie.The battery fits tight & you can still get to the terminals.PS..I didn't go through all the replies on this post ,so if it's already been suggested...my apologies.
heeler
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:29 am

Trois_beaux_canards: monsieur - tying a string to the stock would seem to be the answer. If you have a swivel - all the better. Tie to the swivel. The last time my shotgun went into the drink no string could have saved it: I went in with it. What I said would be edited out by admin or admin2. @ least I had an extra shirt in the car.
Now, there's advice - always carry a dry shirt to change into. Dry sweater, too.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:58 am

What a bunch of butterfingers we have here.... :laughing: Seems to me that the old adage of "when they pry my cold dead fingers off of the gun" is all talk by some.... :tounge: :toofunny:

I know a guy that uses tha coiled line with hooks on each end. similar to the telephone cord. but then again he has lost 1 and recovered 2 guns and then started using the line-but then again I do not think he has dropped it overboard since using the line rig to find out if it really works :mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby redcloud86 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:51 am

Before using a ground blind, smear mud over the outside and let it dry.
redcloud86
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:10 pm

If using water keel decoys and would rather have weighted keels use hot glue gun to plug off one end of the keel then weight the keel with sand and seal up the other end with the glue gun.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:22 pm

If you or yor hunting partner are bald keep your heads covered as the glare will cause the ducks to flare and you could temporairily blind your buddy, also planes flying over you might think you are signaling for help and put out a distress call. :laughing:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they'r working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:37 pm

:laughing:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:08 am

Greg: that tip for the water keels is terrific. I wanted to do this to some old Flambeaus that do little more than tip over. I have no way to work, or experience working, w/ plastic.
I'm glad that I don't need your advice on baldness. :laughing:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole