Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby wcbm8d » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

Cork makes great face paint... cheap...non-greasy.....

1. find a REAL Cork....not the plastic kind
2.light one end of it with a lighter.
3.let it cool off.
4.apply
5.repeat as necessary
wcbm8d
hunter

Postby Chrisun » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Great tips everyone. Anymore?
Chrisun
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

If you are not 10 minutes early, you are late.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Chrisun » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Use jerk strings
Chrisun
hunter

Postby kletziencl19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I like to keep a log of when and where I hunt. Something to good to look back at to see how the birds were flying and how they react to different things.
kletziencl19
Newb

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am

Heres a tip that has helped me before.
Find an elderly hunter in your area and talk to them. Some of what they know may be outdated but sometimes you learn a few tips that help you or a location you never thought about where they used to go hunting themselves.
Sometimes they will give you permission to hunt their property just for being nice and stopping by to chat.
Me and my dad used to help an old guy who used to be a gun smith. He traded us guns for working on his old tractor or what not.
We wouldn't take money and he didn't feel right letting us work on his stuff for free. He had a bunch of guns he would never use again so we reluctantly accepted them to make him feel good about it even though we really didn't need the guns. Now that he has passed on I miss that old guy and cherish the guns we got from him.
Another old timer gave me a bunch of fishing stuff he never used anymore just because I took him fishing a couple of times and brought him some of my excess fish now and then.I miss him too. He showed me some good fishing spots I still use today.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby ssharpe01 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Best gloves to wear duck hunting. No problem reloading or calling. I can even work my iphone with these gloves on.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ducts_id=4
WAR EAGLE anyways

"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it" -Yogi Berra
ssharpe01
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:00 pm

ssharpe01 wrote:Best gloves to wear duck hunting. No problem reloading or calling. I can even work my iphone with these gloves on.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ducts_id=4

worst gloves I ever bought. they are not rugged and the lining will puncture picking up decoys. Waste of money. Socks to-they suck as well.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

You don't call ducks with gloves on.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am

Is there an interpreter in the house?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm

edwardmaya wrote:Those are some amazing suggestions you launched . I especially believe the fact with the first phrase you had written about protect up. I can't tell you how many times I've regarded other chicken did not make to getting in an place because the seeker or the seeker dog(s) could not stay still. Been tracking waterfowl for the better factor of 26 decades and one element I easily discovered about in tracking is that if you want to be effective you need to put in a complete times perform, not just beginning and day times, but you have to be out from before sun improving to sundown. Going creatures come into an place whenever they want of day. I've also discovered that you often have to go to where the other chicken want to be, rather than anticipating them to always come to where you'd rather be. That can often mean having generally simply to stroll with gadgets through 300 yrds of marshy 7ft excellent significant cattails just to get to a certain place. It sure will pay to be attractive regardless of what kind of tracking you do.

Confused weird.jpg
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Don't stand up to pee and forget you have your face mask on when you spit your dip.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby OneLeggedDuck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 am

Just a couple I have learned during early stages of my duck hunting career...

1. Snickers Marathon energy bars are the best tasting bar out there.

2. Flooded your waders but are hunting the next day? Turn the waders inside out. Get yourself some newspaper and stuff the boots up to the calf with crumpled pieces. Remove soaked paper and stuff with dry after a few hours. One more change may be necessary. They will be dry by the morning.

3. Leave your headlamp on after setup in the morning. It lets me know where not to walk to before sun rise. Walked up on a father/son last year who were sleeping on the dike before shooting, had planned on setting up about 75 yds from where they were. Were kind enough to let me join them and we had a successful shoot...would have been more successful if we had been at my spot, or if I would have had the gall to tell the son his duck calling sounded like someone gave a 5 year old a kazoo.

4. Anger caused from forgetting your decoys can best be abated by punching your horn and blowing your duck call very loudly on the return trip home.
OneLeggedDuck
hunter

Postby GREYHAWK38 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Check boat batt. for charge, wal-marts is 70 miles away
GREYHAWK38
hunter

Postby Teal_Blaster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Take your time and make the 1st shot count. I trained myself last year by only put one shell in my gun. You would be surprised by how much it has improved my shooting and also prevents a lot of cripples. Taking time to get the perfect lead and blowin heads off and saving the meat lol!!!! :thumbsup:
Teal_Blaster
hunter

Re:

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

That's why they should make a decoy of a guy picking up decoys!! Would be dealy!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Re: Re:

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Mojo281 wrote:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

That's why they should make a decoy of a guy picking up decoys!! Would be dealy!

:lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Re: Re:

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Mojo281 wrote:

Greatest idea I've ever heard of.
One such hunt last year it took me 30 minutes to get my last 4 birds for my limit. Downed my 3rd bird, walking to retreive in I downed a 4th, then walking back to my blind with two birds in hand, I doubled up and got my limit. 3 birds killed from the blind, 3 birds killed standing in my decoys.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 pm

if you are beginning to have some unsuccessful morning hunts don't go out super early but sleep in and head out at 10 or so.I know it just doesn't feel like real duck hunting but you would be surprised at how affective it can be. Birds, like deer follow moon patterns and may roost in the morning and fly around mid day. also they are smart and may realize every time they go somewhere in the morning there is shooting but not so much mid day..... give it a try is things get slow for a week or two this season. got nuthin to loose
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Duck_Popper wrote:
edwardmaya wrote:Those are some amazing suggestions you launched . I especially believe the fact with the first phrase you had written about protect up. I can't tell you how many times I've regarded other chicken did not make to getting in an place because the seeker or the seeker dog(s) could not stay still. Been tracking waterfowl for the better factor of 26 decades and one element I easily discovered about in tracking is that if you want to be effective you need to put in a complete times perform, not just beginning and day times, but you have to be out from before sun improving to sundown. Going creatures come into an place whenever they want of day. I've also discovered that you often have to go to where the other chicken want to be, rather than anticipating them to always come to where you'd rather be. That can often mean having generally simply to stroll with gadgets through 300 yrds of marshy 7ft excellent significant cattails just to get to a certain place. It sure will pay to be attractive regardless of what kind of tracking you do.

Confused weird.jpg

:huh: ---so the guy is 260 years old and chases chickens ???? :rolleyes:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:51 am

when hunting in a lay out blind keep muzzle at feet for quick pick up and shoot my tip for the day :grooving:
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 am

Love the tips of the day thread, heres my thoughts and I hope a worth while tip, if the birds are inside of 3 hundred yards dont highball call, their eyesight is good enough and your dekes have either gained their attention or they are gonna keep on going. Ive been using this method for the last 3 years have done better than I ever have. I only put in a few quacks and a ticket here and there in my calling when they are inside the 3 hundred yard zone. The reason I changed to this style of calling is I bought a new home with a nice pond across the road. It has ducks on it year round, I started observing them and noticed that I very seldom heard a high ball, only the quacks. It seems they just quacked when the other ducks were approaching the pond and really never gave out a true feed chuckle, just a tick here and there. The only time of day they seemed to highball was when the sky was turning red early of a morning until about a half hour after sunrise. Btw way I had 22 Mallards and 37 widgeon on the pond this morning and the only sound i heard was the widgeons doing their whistle on occasion.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby wislingwings » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:35 pm

If you hunt with a buddy who talks half the time and blows a call the rest , Leave him at home....
wislingwings
Newb

Postby AKPirate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm

wislingwings wrote:If you hunt with a buddy who talks half the time and blows a call the rest , Leave him at home....

unless your buddy is a hot chick with warm hands...
AKPirate
hunter

Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby jehler » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 am

cluckmeister wrote:Love the tips of the day thread, heres my thoughts and I hope a worth while tip, if the birds are inside of 3 hundred yards dont highball call.

Here is another tip, don't highball call
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole