Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re:

Postby duckmaster55 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

Very old post but it is the basically the best post of all. :bow:

First I'll go out to pick up my decoys or maybe I'll go out to retreive a bird. Then while in the water or just out of the blind, I'll look on the horizon or maybe I'll simply look up, but either way, it doesn't matter, out of nowhere although totally expected, I will see ducks. After rushing back in the blind to wait for more, they will always be gone untill the next time I go back out. "The Duck Hunter's Curse" :fingerhead:
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"-George S. Patton
duckmaster55
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Orhunter450 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Thats why you have to use the half leak method unzip and turn your back to the decoys about mid stream spin around shotgun in hand and shoot the half dozen swinging by your decoys :thumbsup:
Orhunter450
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

If ya gotta go, just pee in your waders. That way the ducks won't smell it in the water and flare. Works every time...guaranteed.
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby lyrikz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

OmegaRed wrote:If ya gotta go, just pee in your waders. That way the ducks won't smell it in the water and flare. Works every time...guaranteed.

THIS does not work... You are cold all day.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:54 pm

lyrikz wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:If ya gotta go, just pee in your waders. That way the ducks won't smell it in the water and flare. Works every time...guaranteed.

You tested this tip?

TIP OF THE DAY: I'd say it's a pretty good idea to make sure and pee outside your waders. :grooving:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 pm

aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

TIP OF THE DAY: I'd say it's a pretty good idea to make sure and pee outside your waders. :grooving:

No, i pooped in mine.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby On_A_Rope » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:37 am

lyrikz wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

No, i pooped in mine.

:lol: No tip needs to be stated for that.
On_A_Rope
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 am

lyrikz wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

No, i pooped in mine.

That probably makes for a squishy walk back!

My tip: ALWAYS have TP in the necessary places: 1) in boat dry storage, 2) in truck, 3) in blind bag. This coming from a person that takes about 20 poo's in the marsh every year. Something about the boat ride jumbles it out of me.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 pm

agengo02 wrote:
lyrikz wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

No, i pooped in mine.

My tip: ALWAYS have TP in the necessary places: 1) in boat dry storage, 2) in truck, 3) in blind bag. This coming from a person that takes about 20 poo's in the marsh every year. Something about the boat ride jumbles it out of me.

Do you keep track? Make notches in your gun stock?
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 pm

OmegaRed wrote:
agengo02 wrote:
lyrikz wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

No, i pooped in mine.

No, I just remember about how many times compared to how many days I have hunted. This past duck season I didn't crap every hunting trip, but I did most of them. Then with fishing in the summer I came to the conclusion that I have crapped at least 20 times in the marsh in 2012. Maybe I should start keeping track. I'll get the future wife to make me something I can keep track with.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Maybe a "flush" counter? :biggrin:
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm

For some of you , pampers might be your best bet.
vlb
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:47 pm

May be already posted but,

If you just got your first duck call a week before the season or you just suck at it then leave it in the truck!!!!

Also, pack a lunch you never know when you have that slow mornin and your about to pick up dekes at 11 and birds start workin. By the time your done its 3 oclock on you are tempted to eat raw duck breast

If its 40 degrees or below dont let your dog sit in the water. Elevate them somehow they DO catch hypothermia just like you would if you didnt have waders.
stealfeathers
hunter

Re:

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:21 pm

pintail21 wrote:Always let the first bird of the day work untill its clear the bird is gonna leave NOW, or its landed. Odds are unless theres a significant wind/weather change, thats what the next birds will do. If bird no. 1 lands short, open up more space for em and double check the camo. You can have the best spot in the world, but if the birds aren't comfortable at landing in your spread, they're not gonna finish em. Also experiment with calling styles early to see what they want on that particular day.

Tip #2, if you're in a slump, take target practice on low pressure targets like coots, mergies, hens and other nongame but legal to shoot birds like starlings, pidgeons and the like (be sure of your target, your state's regs and use the meat). Focus on your form and only allow yourself one shot. I find having a target where there is no pressure really helps you get back to the basics and focus on what you are doing. I mean is anyone here sad they missed a shot at a coot? I always do this when I'm hunting a spot that has no shell restrictions.

Which brings me to #3, to clean a coot place it back down, grab its legs and pull, a quick way to get a lot of meat

I missed 3 shots while they were running on the water :biggrin: .
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 am

agengo02 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
agengo02 wrote:
lyrikz wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
lyrikz wrote:

You tested this tip?

No, i pooped in mine.

No, I just remember about how many times compared to how many days I have hunted. This past duck season I didn't crap every hunting trip, but I did most of them. Then with fishing in the summer I came to the conclusion that I have crapped at least 20 times in the marsh in 2012. Maybe I should start keeping track. I'll get the future wife to make me something I can keep track with.

small pack of baby wipes in resealable plastic pack keep your hands clean and smell fresh too.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

vlb wrote:For some of you , pampers might be your best bet.

Depends......
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

Depends......

You to huh :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 am

OGblackcloud wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Depends......

You to huh :thumbsup:

:lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:33 am

why when you have to"GO" while in the marsh it is never a regular poop its always "my God"!!!!! :no: did that really come out of me?
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby shawny90duckboys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Don't leave the blind to early we stay there till 2 in the afternoon when we hunt teal see a lot of em come in around 11 12 or so some days we shoot more between 10am and 12pm then we do between 8am and 10 am just somthing to think about anways anyone ever wants to come for the hunt of a life time in canada PM. Me ... Truly shawn,,
shawny90duckboys
hunter

Postby Borsy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:47 am

Easy jerk string set up for hunting in timber or "timber".

First fasten a bungie cord to a submerged log, limb, tree, etc: you can crimp one of the hooks around the bungie cord or you can tie it on. Secure 3 or 4 decoys by the keel to the string as shown in the youtube video below. Between the string operator and the decoys run the string through a cheap 5lb weight to keep it submerged and hidden.

When you pull the string the decoys will turn and "swim" toward you and when you let up the bungie will pull em back. It works well because you can also pull them shortly and sharply to create ripples. The decoy securing method is fast, easy, and the dekes keep their spacing. I've had good success with this set up in salt cedar (notice the 4 dekes center-left).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbh-BYm93lc
Attachments
jerk string.JPG
jerk string
jerk string.JPG (37.94 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Last edited by Borsy on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borsy
hunter

Postby Borsy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:11 am

Just thought of another one. Often there are some idiots hunting down the way who call constantly and horrendously, sky bust, mess up your hunt, and just generally suck at life. These guys' sky busting often renders some cripples. These guys are also typically very lazy. After they leave, and you've called it a day (with an unfilled limit), take a stroll through their area. You may find some of the poor cripples they were too lazy to get after. Put em out if your limit allows. Lastly, try to find out who the said idiots are.
Borsy
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 am

Borsy wrote:Just thought of another one. Often there are some idiots hunting down the way who call constantly and horrendously, sky bust, mess up your hunt, and just generally suck at life. These guys' sky busting often renders some cripples. These guys are also typically very lazy. After they leave, and you've called it a day (with an unfilled limit), take a stroll through their area. You may find some of the poor cripples they were too lazy to get after. Put em out if your limit allows. Lastly, try to find out who the said idiots are.

That's a bit of advice I don't think many will heed. You won't see many people chasing another party's cripples too often.
Geaux Tigers
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Borsy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am

I read what ya wrote and deleted. I'm not suggesting scavenging or putting serious effort into this. No need to interpret my post in such a black/white manner. If it's along the way or just a slight detour (while walking/boating back) I'm merely suggesting the consideration taking a quick look. Cripples happen, but then there's just negligence and douchebaggery. If you see a cripple, then you see a cripple. Does this please/make sense to you, MO? Or are you just pissy troll?
Borsy
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Your frustration, it sustains me.
Geaux Tigers
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole