Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Russ-n-Brazoria wrote:300-400# test mono works great for cooling tube clogs too, if your in a pinch

300-400# mono! I didn't even know they made such a thing. What do you get, about 6 wraps on a spool?

At that size they just coil it like rope in 100, 225 and 300 yard increments and put it in a bag. Great offshore leader and decoy line material :D
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am

This is a good time of year to work on storing your waders and duck clothes right. Make sure they're clean and dry.
I put my camo duck clothes all into one of them vacuum storage bags. Waders go into a clear garbage bag and then into a rubbermaid storage tote.
Re-painting and flocking decoys is also good thing to do this time of year if you can do 'em inside. They dry really quick.
I been working on organizing the mess from last January.
Time spent now pays off big time next fall when you start trying to remember where it all went.
Make sure your shotgun is clean and ready to go.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Quackersmacker21 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow! Took me three days to read all of these. Some really good tips in there.

Two that I didn't see... I hunt with stackable goose shells a lot and always had a problem with the bottom ones in the stack get squeezed and because they are narrow based they fall over. I eliminated all that when I repaired two feeders with broken necks. After gluing the cracked necks I filled the entire neck and body with low expansion window and door foam. Now they hold their natural shape and I stack all the others on top of those.

Also when dealing with the rule of "nothing brings 'em in like a trip into the decoys".... When packing up on days where I haven't limited out I stack my shells in stacks of 4-5 that way when the geese are coming in I still have a dozen " magnums" out there an I can hide for some quick shooting. This also works on windy days, reduce your spread and stack two or three together to keep them from blowing over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quackersmacker21
hunter

Postby rodandgun83 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 am

For those that wear face paint you can take a cork from a wine bottle and char the end with a lighter then rub on your face. Comes off with water

Also when you damage a mojo wing instead of buying replacement ones you can go to your local convenience store and ask if they have any old drink advertising boards that they normally tie off to poles or something of the sort. It is made from the same material but the holes are slightly bigger so using some kind of tacky substance will keep them in place.
rodandgun83
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Don't trip and fall in the water.

#besttipever

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S4
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby KRB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 am

Don't take people who might shoot your LLBean corks.
KRB
hunter

Postby micneador » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Don't take friends of friends out hunting, your spot will be stolen.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Thu May 08, 2014 2:44 pm

lbhansford wrote:
teamoutlaw wrote:wet wipes. it's better then tp and sure does help out when you get mud, blood, whatever all over your hands.

man that sounds like one serious poop dude.

LMAO!!!! YEA IF YOU GET BLOOD,MUD AND WHATEVER ON YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU $H!T, DUCKS ARE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!!! :crying: THAT IS PRICELESS!!
kcwellington
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Sorry if it's already been posted, but I take the hose off of my wet/dry vac and connect it to the exhaust side and shove the hose down in my waders. Dries waders very quickly! :thumbsup:
kcwellington
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 am

kcwellington wrote:Sorry if it's already been posted, but I take the hose off of my wet/dry vac and connect it to the exhaust side and shove the hose down in my waders. Dries waders very quickly! :thumbsup:

Connect to the exhaust side of the vac? How would you connect it?

Sent from my Tim Grounds Pro Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun May 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Remove from here

Insert here

micneador
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon May 12, 2014 8:30 am

xtrema13 wrote:
kcwellington wrote:Sorry if it's already been posted, but I take the hose off of my wet/dry vac and connect it to the exhaust side and shove the hose down in my waders. Dries waders very quickly! :thumbsup:

On mine, you just pull the hose out of the vac side and push it in tho the exhaust side.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 am

kcwellington wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:

On mine, you just pull the hose out of the vac side and push it in tho the exhaust side.

Pretty sure y'all are talkin about THE EXACT SAME THING!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 pm

For decoy gloves, I use the rubber insulater gloves that linemen from the power company use to keep from getting electricuted. They fit over your gloves with ease and they come all the way up to your elbows. If you know anybody that works for the power co. nearby, they can get you a pair.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:54 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:
kcwellington wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:

Great tip!!!!
1403013212047.jpg
1403013236614.jpg
1403013258671.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby motoking_1990 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:50 pm

kcwellington wrote:For decoy gloves, I use the rubber insulater gloves that linemen from the power company use to keep from getting electricuted. They fit over your gloves with ease and they come all the way up to your elbows. If you know anybody that works for the power co. nearby, they can get you a pair.

I bought a pair of max4 insulated neoprene glove and they are very warm. After the second time out with them they got a hole in them. Very good tip!
motoking_1990
hunter

Postby motoking_1990 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Tip of the day: don't eat greasy food before going out. Might keep you from using the tp.
motoking_1990
hunter

Postby WarrenG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Never forget your toilet paper or immodium. :lol:
WarrenG
hunter

Postby duckspeaker1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Heres a tip on what not to do and I see it all year every year.....stop sky bustin!! If you cant see the exact make and model of the bird your shooting at....its too high! Im sick of seeing winged and wounded ducks coast across a lake into safety zones and just swim around until they die....its not fair to the birds or other ethical hunters...the thing about duck hunting is that we all get multiple opportunity to shoot...theres no reason to rush a shot just because the bird might fly over another hunter before its within range. Really tired of seeing it.....
duckspeaker1
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

aunt betty wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:
kcwellington wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:

Great tip!!!!
1403013212047.jpg
1403013236614.jpg
1403013258671.jpg

LMAO!! SMART ***!! :clapping:
kcwellington
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Never let WW.5 pick up road kill in his work van :thumbsup:
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby RUN REMI RUN » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 pm

here's 1 all hunter should know!!!!

the snow in Calgary and Edmonton, will ruin everyone hunts in canada now LOL

I happy im on the other side of the country!!!!

even tho we have more idot hunters shooting swans ( geese) and seagulls ( mallards) and hooded merganzers ( golden eye) and cormerants ( black duck) thinking their this amazing tasting goose or God know what they call it?????

this is what they told the MNR they thought they were and I was their who was reporting them and taking vid. ect. and man oh man they were charged big time!!!!!

I mean come on!! a 30lbs goose or a 50lbs snow goose!!!

they also could barely speak English!!!!!

and I think some guys had slugs and buck shot too!!!!

I will pass this on to my MNR buddy rick and see what he can do about this blue wing teal incident from not happening again!!!!

I talk to soe guys and 5 guys dropped 20-40 birds each!!! in 1 afternoon, but could only get 5 woodies and teals mix, well I told them im going to report their asses, u stop at 5 downed birds even if u get none retrived!!! ur suppose to shot them where u can get them!!!! so I said I'm going to write down their plates and names and everything, cause when ur a giant of a man u can enforce things with more confidence and not worry too much about then taking u on!!! and my brother is 6'4" and 400lbs and my other brother is taller and way more fit and me, well they left their canoe and clothes and took out their and almost ran me over and my brother on the 1 lane dirt road!!!!

it was opener a few years ago, so I took the next year off to get a dog, cause I just made me sick to see this!!!! then MNR got over 100 birds dead in the next few days going over the area, and my buddy rick is watching for them and their car , and I got a new canoe and some great gear out of it!!!!!
but all thoses daed birds the area still sucks 3 years later with little birds!!!!
man all those woodies and blue and green wing teal wasted!!!!

last year with my new dog and brother some guys were mad that we got out limit of geese and birds, so they started shooting over our heads and yelling at us to thank them for calling all the birds in for them ,even tho im a champion caller in comps.!!!
I even aproched them in the morning and said my first time in 2 yrs hunting and a new dog ect. and they were cool, but when I guess jewlousy comes into play ppl change!!!!

they even blocked the road so no one else could come in to the area and turned hunters away saing private property, and almost got into a fight with a group of guys, but they were 7 idiots hunting!!!

enough ranting aboutr idiot hunters!!!!
RUN REMI RUN
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:43 pm

RUN REMI RUN wrote:here's 1 all hunter should know!!!!

even tho we have more idot hunters shooting swans ( geese) and seagulls ( mallards) and hooded merganzers ( golden eye) and cormerants ( black duck) thinking their this amazing tasting goose or God know what they call it?????

this is what they told the MNR they thought they were and I was their who was reporting them and taking vid. ect. and man oh man they were charged big time!!!!!

I will pass this on to my MNR buddy rick and see what he can do about this blue wing teal incident from not happening again!!!!

I talk to soe guys and 5 guys dropped 20-40 birds each!!! in 1 afternoon, but could only get 5 woodies and teals mix, well I told them im going to report their asses, u stop at 5 downed birds even if u get none retrived!!! ur suppose to shot them where u can get them!!!! so I said I'm going to write down their plates and names and everything, cause when ur a giant of a man u can enforce things with more confidence and not worry too much about then taking u on!!! and my brother is 6'4" and 400lbs and my other brother is taller and way more fit and me, well they left their canoe and clothes and took out their and almost ran me over and my brother on the 1 lane dirt road!!!!

it was opener a few years ago, so I took the next year off to get a dog, cause I just made me sick to see this!!!! then MNR got over 100 birds dead in the next few days going over the area, and my buddy rick is watching for them and their car , and I got a new canoe and some great gear out of it!!!!!
but all thoses daed birds the area still sucks 3 years later with little birds!!!!

last year with my new dog and brother some guys were mad that we got out limit of geese and birds, so they started shooting over our heads and yelling at us to thank them for calling all the birds in for them ,even tho im a champion caller in comps.!!!
I even aproched them in the morning and said my first time in 2 yrs hunting and a new dog ect. and they were cool, but when I guess jewlousy comes into play ppl change!!!!

they even blocked the road so no one else could come in to the area and turned hunters away saing private property, and almost got into a fight with a group of guys, but they were 7 idiots hunting!!!

Are you planning on posting this response in every thread? :huh: :huh:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 pm

RUN REMI RUN wrote:here's 1 all hunter should know!!!!

Sounds like you need to change your screen name to compchampion.
micneador
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:05 pm

If your hunting club lease is paper company land, and on your way out of the woods you see a D6 sitting in the middle of a cutover with the key in it. Dont lean your rifle against the track if you decide to "borrow" it for a few minutes to clear a food plot. YOU MIGHT FORGET ABOUT IT AND DEMOLISH IT!!! :crying:
kcwellington
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole