Bill Byers Hunter Club Video

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Bill Byers Hunter Club Video

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Cannon nailed. We are stopping birds now. I have zero concerns about food. All the food in the world won't do me any good if the birds have passed us. It's all about the sanctuary. I've recorded color marked geese that returned and wintered on our farm for five consecutive years. We have a number of fields that we will flood when we are ready for the birds to be there. Other fields are used to roost birds. As far as them eating all the food, you would be shocked at the amount of grain that will sprout in this field next spring. All together we will flood over 600 acres of fields that we won't hunt. We flood them as early as we can. I hope to be showing you guys some specks next week.

I asked because I am going to start flooding a 7 acre field next year and about 4 acres of timber. Just wondering if we should wait to flood the corn until the season has already started. We plan to flood the timber as soon as the trees turn colors (septemberish).

I wondering if they could clear the first level of ears in month.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:54 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:Cannon nailed. We are stopping birds now. I have zero concerns about food. All the food in the world won't do me any good if the birds have passed us. It's all about the sanctuary. I've recorded color marked geese that returned and wintered on our farm for five consecutive years. We have a number of fields that we will flood when we are ready for the birds to be there. Other fields are used to roost birds. As far as them eating all the food, you would be shocked at the amount of grain that will sprout in this field next spring. All together we will flood over 600 acres of fields that we won't hunt. We flood them as early as we can. I hope to be showing you guys some specks next week.

I asked because I am going to start flooding a 7 acre field next year and about 4 acres of timber. Just wondering if we should wait to flood the corn until the season has already started. We plan to flood the timber as soon as the trees turn colors (septemberish).

I think you need to flood it when the most birds are going to be moving through. Whether that's during the season or not. You need to be imprinting those birds to come back every year.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:05 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

It will depend on the number of birds that use it. Also, be careful of flooding your trees that early. They need to be dormant first.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

It will depend on the number of birds that use it. Also, be careful of flooding your trees that early. They need to be dormant first.

That's why I said "ish" some years they turn in September some years they turn in late October.

It's hard to say how many birds, nothing like you see, maybe a couple to a few hundred wood ducks and mallards.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 am

The three specks that stayed on our lake all summer have some new friends this morning. 10 new specks arrived overnight and were getting reacquainted with their long lost buddies this morning.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:13 am

ByersFarm wrote:The three specks that stayed on our lake all summer have some new friends this morning. 10 new specks arrived overnight and were getting reacquainted with their long lost buddies this morning.

So it begins.... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:37 am

Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:The three specks that stayed on our lake all summer have some new friends this morning. 10 new specks arrived overnight and were getting reacquainted with their long lost buddies this morning.

So it begins.... :wink:

ImageImage

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby teddysberna » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 am

So cuuuuute

Good stuff. Seriously, I always look forward to the pictures you post of stupid numbers of birds
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

teddysberna wrote:

So cuuuuute

Good stuff. Seriously, I always look forward to the pictures you post of stupid numbers of birds

They were pretty shocked by the dogs and the human being 30 yards from them this morning. The three residents weren't bothered at all.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 am

Pretty steady increase in birds since we started pumping last Wednesday. These were kind enough to pose for a cell phone photo op. Image

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 am

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:32 am

ByersFarm wrote:Pretty steady increase in birds since we started pumping last Wednesday. These were kind enough to pose for a cell phone photo op. Image

What a wonderful sight!!!!!!!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am

Steadily arriving.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am

ByersFarm wrote:Steadily arriving.

Jelly!
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:54 am

I have watched the Byers Video no less than a dozen times...and twice just today. attempting to work, this close to hunting season, is simply useless
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 am

GomerPyle wrote:I have watched the Byers Video no less than a dozen times...and twice just today. attempting to work, this close to hunting season, is simply useless

Ditto brah
teddysberna wrote:

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:58 am

ByersFarm wrote:Steadily arriving.

Makes me :biggrin:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm

GomerPyle wrote:I have watched the Byers Video no less than a dozen times...and twice just today. attempting to work, this close to hunting season, is simply useless

You should try working around all that.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Image

Woohoo. I wish we had specks here

You need to clean your windows :wink:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 pm

ByersFarm wrote:

well if "working around all that" literally meant working there, in the midst of it day in and day out, as opposed to some desk job, well I think I could handle that :biggrin:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

well if "working around all that" literally meant working there, in the midst of it day in and day out, as opposed to some desk job, well I think I could handle that :biggrin:

X1000000000000000000000000000
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I just meant it's even more distracting in person. I had to stop the piece of equipment I was on to take a picture just to share with y'all. I'm not complaining, it's just hard to focus.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:36 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I just meant it's even more distracting in person. I had to stop the piece of equipment I was on to take a picture just to share with y'all. I'm not complaining, it's just hard to focus.

that job sounds like my idea of Heaven, to be quite honest

GomerPyle
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

You're not the first person to say that. It's very rewarding, but you need to enjoy manual labor.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:00 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

You're not the first person to say that. It's very rewarding, but you need to enjoy manual labor.

I have a strong back
teddysberna wrote:

Westtennduckhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole