ohio river

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

ohio river

Postby hickeyville » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm

I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone has any information about the ohio river down by shawneetown Il. Mainly if you are allowed to hunt the flood water or not. If not who you might contact to hunt.
WACK UM AND STACK UM
hickeyville
hunter

ohio river

Postby e'villeduck » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:52 pm

I also hunt the ohio river, further up stream by Evansville. This is a gray issue. You can hunt back water (in a boat) in the state you have a license for as long as its not posted. You may be asked to leave but they can't prosecute you for tresspassing if its not posted. There is nothing against the law that says you can't drive your boat around in back water. Keep that in mind. Its best to get permission but not neccessary. You can hunt back water in a different state as long as you don't touch bottom. Touching as in decoy anchor, foot, boat anchor, etc. Or tieing off to trees, etc. More and More property along the river is being leased out and transformed into a duck honey hole. These individuals think that when the river comes up that the water is theirs too. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Time is of the essence, don't waste it.
e'villeduck
hunter

Postby hickeyville » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:18 pm

Thanks for the information. If anyone else has anything different please feel free to let us know, any information would help.
WACK UM AND STACK UM
hickeyville
hunter

Postby Drakes Only » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:11 am

I can't give you a lot of hope for Shawneetown. I've hunted floodwater down ther for the last 25 years and never had a problem. But last year I found out a local duck club has it posted. I didn't see any signs to that effect, but that's what I was told.

You need to be careful in Illinois now because the law reads that the landowner or leasee can have you cited for trespassing if you are in the water above his land without permission. Last year one landowner in particular and his henchmen were patrolling the bottoms with COs ordering everyone found ticketed. I know that for a fact because a few of my friends were recipients.
Drakes Only
hunter

Postby e'villeduck » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:07 am

Hickeyville- Doing any good in Shawneetown? Are you seeing any birds?
e'villeduck
hunter

Postby hickeyville » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:46 pm

I have not been yet but maybe this weekend.
WACK UM AND STACK UM
hickeyville
hunter

Postby e'villeduck » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:45 am

Hickeyville- I notice your from Marion. Do you hunt around there? Crab Orchard? Are they holding any geese/ducks yet?
e'villeduck
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole