What is the best time to hunt?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

What is the best time to hunt?

Postby fireman17 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm

I live in southern Illinois and was wondering if the evening hunt is as good as morning hunting! I'm very knew to duck hunting!
Last edited by fireman17 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fireman17
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:34 pm

Nope, generally not unless a big storm is brewing for that night, and then they be looking for food all day.
Best is the morning for most ducks. For over water Mallards mid morning to early afternoon is good when they are returning from the fields.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:43 pm

:withstupid: morning or late afternoon (couple hours before sunset)
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:54 pm

I think the best time to hunt would be about 30 minutes before shooting hours. Seems there are always birds landing in my decoys...

(I dont shoot at them, but they are fun to watch). Drives the dog nuts.....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:58 pm

Usually morning, but I have had my best hunts this year in the afternoon. Depends on the birds really.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:13 pm

Anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:36 pm

98ramtough wrote:I think the best time to hunt would be about 30 minutes before shooting hours. Seems there are always birds landing in my decoys...

Or just when time runs out. :pissed: Here they come. :eek: Sometimes its awful to be honest when it comes to hunting but being a L.E. Officer I have no choice its just not worth it. :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SLIM » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:27 am

SCoutdoorsman wrote:
98ramtough wrote:I think the best time to hunt would be about 30 minutes before shooting hours. Seems there are always birds landing in my decoys...

Or just when time runs out. :pissed: Here they come. :eek: Sometimes its awful to be honest when it comes to hunting but being a L.E. Officer I have no choice its just not worth it. :thumbsup:

Isn't that the truth. Seems like everytime we pull out of the blind, and start heading back, there's always a group of mallards falling in our hole.
"A good duck call is like a good woman. Happy is the man that finds both on his short stay on Earth."

- "Duck Commander", Phil Robertson -
SLIM
hunter

Postby MattM1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:24 pm

Amen on the 30 minutes before shooting hours (I don't shoot them, just watch them mock me)! There's one more time that seems to be better for me though, that's when i'm chest deep in the river setting out or picking up dekes! Also over the years i've hunted dove i found the best time for a dove to fly right up to my face is when I have my you-know-what in hand (relieving myself) and my shotgun next to me against a tree. :toofunny: But on a serious note mornings work the best for me (you do have to be set up and ready by first light) unless I get the opportunity to go out 1-2 hours before a storm moves in, that can produce whole lot of ducks!
MattM1
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:44 pm

:withstupid: yep sure sounds tipical...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:18 pm

the first hour seems the best. in the evening our hours are over at sunset not much going on tell after hours.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackkills9 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:30 am

all day i would say... My favorite is hunting in the morning but I sometimes would jump ducks on potholes in the evening after the morning hunt and breakfast.. sometimes the hunting is awesome just before sunset.. so I'll say the hunting is good all day... depends where you are hunting. Good Luck :salude:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:22 pm

the other day I was setting out the decoys and a mallard landed right next to me so close that I could touch it :eek: I'm not kidding, but when shooting light comes around the ducks flare at 50 yards out or more. maybe I should bring a bow out and . . .
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole