eatable ducks

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

eatable ducks

Postby duckbum13 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:30 pm

do goldeneye and buffle heads taste good or taste gamie and fishie ive heard both good adn bad so tell me what you guys think
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:34 pm

Where Im from they taste like dog doody. people dont shoot them too often around here just because they dont taste good and they are just about as smart as a coot.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:37 pm

they arent very good. theres ways to make them taste better. we make jerky with our divers. tastes pretty good. soaking the meat in milk or boiling it in milk helps too.marinating it in various stuff helps also.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbum13 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:51 pm

donell67 can you post or email me the steps you go though to make your jerky if you cant thats fine but i gotta find a new way to cook this duck cuz frying does taste liek dog poo
thanks
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:44 am

slice the breasts into thin strips. like a 1/4 inch thick or thinner if you can.
get your favorite flavor of jerky maranaid. usually get it at our sportsmans warehouse. i am sure most big sporting goods stores have it. i leave the meat in the marinaid about 24 hours. then put it in a dehydrator on the meat setting for about 12 hours. you can do it in the oven to just layout the strips on metal pans. put the oven at like 200 or 250 f . then you just have to watch it wont take as long in the oven. i think the dyhydrator is better cooks it slower. make sure you read the directions on the jerky maranaid boxes and on the dehydrator. any more questions let me know.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:04 pm

just saw you are from meridian. just go to sportsmans warehouse to get your jerky maranaid. were seeing alot of goldeneyes now but not very many buffleheads in the area we hunt.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:09 pm

I like GEs what you do is cut them thin then put them in a stir fry :thumbsup:
I've also heard of letting them marinate in milk, but I haven't tried that yet
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:04 am

no, i dont like em
NS39340
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:38 am

All ducks can be fine to eat (yes, even mergs) if prepared and cooked properly. I've been a chef for almost 10 years.

First of all make sure there is no fat at all on the breast. Then soak the breast in salted water for 24 hours. Then rinse and dry them. This will help draw out the fishy or gamey flavor.

You can marinate them further at this point if you wish. Try a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and cooking oil, or red wine, or orange juice. Any store bought marinade would work too.

For stronger flavored ducks a simple recipe would be to brown the breasts well. Then put them in a crock pot with a cup of broth and a bottle of your favorite bbq. Just break up the meat after its cooked. You could add peppers, onions, etc. as well. Cook all day and you should never know the difference.

If you need any more ideas just let me know.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby GreenheadKiller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:53 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm..... they taste great!
GreenheadKiller
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:38 pm

I like to go out and shoot them bring them home clean them right away, package them. Then I find someone in town as soon as possible to give them to. Sorry I can't stand eating duck or goose, love shooting them, not eating them though. :smile: My mom used to make a duck ala oarnge that was really good, but I've tried and it suck's, I'll continue feeding someone else's family, and I'll eat the deer, and pheasant I get. :thumbsup:
duckdog
hunter

Postby pbramble » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:58 am

one easy way to make any duck taste pretty good is to:

1. slice the duck breasts into thin strips or cubes
2. take a jalapeno pepper and on a toothpick or shishkabob, wrap the duck strip, or two cubes, around the jalapeno.
3. Take a half a piece of bacon and wrap it around the duck and jalapeno. Either grill it (best way) or broil it at 350 for 5-10 mintues.

We usually do this with doves, but it work just as good on duck. The bacon and jalapeno pretty much overpower the flavor of the meat.
pbramble
hunter

Postby MTgoosehunter » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:36 pm

Almost anything tast good made into jerky. :thumbsup:
Aaron
I aint a killer but dont push me.......revenge is the sweetist joy next to gettin ..ssy
MTgoosehunter
hunter

I EAT EVERY DUCK & THING I KILL

Postby duckydoo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:51 am

That's right, you better believe it. If I kill it I'm going to eat it. Whether it be a bufflehead, goose, merganser or whatever. If you don't intend on keating it, why kill it? I love to eat every duck species. Nothing wrong with buffleheads, atleast to me. So if you even have a slightest doubt about if you're gonna eat it, don't kill it.
duckydoo
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:36 pm

just fry them with bacon. Let the bacon greese up in the pan, add the breasted duck, cook over low-medium heat, don't over cook them, or they will taste like leather, cook them rare, just past the bloody stage. If you do it all right they will taste like beef. :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby canadagoose » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:18 pm

I grilled my first wild duck breasts recently (teals), and they tasted like liver. :thumbsdown: I figure I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

When I breasted them out, the meat was really dark red. I found a site that talks about the importance of dry aging the meat for a few days.

http://www.wildeats.com/wildeats/default.asp?idPage=33

I tried that, but after 2 days no blood had come out of it, and so I tried brining it for a few hours. The brine turned pinkish, but the meat was still really red. Is that normal? Next time, I'd try the 24 hours that was suggested above.

A friend of mine tells me that with chickens he always cut the head off and hung them by their feet for a day to drain the blood out. Does anyone do anything like that with duck?

How quickly should you process them after they're killed? For these, it was probably 6 hours.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby mud duck » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:56 pm

try it in your chili next time. No gamey taste at all.
mud duck
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:47 pm

I cant tell the difference when you grind them up and make peperoni out of them
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole