no decoys this weekend

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

no decoys this weekend

Postby txdukhtr » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:31 am

Quick question...I wanted to know if any of you guys have hunted without decoys and how that works for you. I left mine at my parents house last weekend and dont want to drive the 5 hours to get them, but if you think im not hunting this weekend you are crazy.

Anyways, I hunt mostly flooded timber with alot of wood ducks and the occasional big mallards. One canvasback in a few years, but Ive never been there without the dekes. Anybody got any ideas... thanks
Take em
txdukhtr
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:26 am

Well i dont know what i would do. I would proally try to get something on the water. Maybe try some painted milk jugs or 2 liter bottles... Be sure to have some ripples on the water. This maybe a crazy idea but worth a try.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:05 am

Maybe just go buy a dz of the cheapy decoys for $20 for the weekend.

God almighty I can not beleive I siad the above.... as I like and promote using quality decoys. :yes: Or maybe just bite the bullet and buy a dz of real good decoys instead--Christmas present to yourself you can call it.

Also maybe go hunting with another guy that does have decoys, a good way to spend the weekend together.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:11 pm

Ditto h2ofwlr: 1doz cheapies. Don't forget the weights. Tie them up w/ jute (it's quick, cheap, & easy). $30.00 out of the mac machine ought to get you there.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby GreenheadKiller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:42 pm

Hey I've hunted places without decoys before and have limited out. I'm not talking about jump shooting either, its all about being in the right place at the right time. As long as your going to hunt a spot that birds like thats all that matters.

:thumbsup:
GreenheadKiller
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:33 pm

Since you're hunting timber you don't need decoys. Just kick a little water around to put out some movement. If you don't feel comfortable hunting without decoys do what h2o said and get you some Flambeaus at the local Wally World.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:27 pm

You can pick up a doz GHG hot buy mallards for $20 or maybe a half dozen Teal. Souldn't need much for flooded timber.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:48 pm

Decoys are really just a confidence builder for the hunter. When I started hunting I had an old gun that was my grandpa's and some second hand hip boots. I would spend my lunch money on shells for the weekend. I had no money for decoys or blind material or anything really. I taught myself how to duck hunt and found that scouting was the most important tool any waterfowler could use. If you have done your homework and know where the ducks will be, all you have to do is show up with enough shells.
Here's to us and those like us, There's damn few of us left.
lonewolf
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:59 pm

TxDH so what did you end up doing and how did you do ?

BTW Lonewolf--nice signature :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole