New Hunter needs advice

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

New Hunter needs advice

Postby cford52 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:29 am

Hi there. Im a beginning waterfowler and looking for some general advice. I lease a small farm in southern indiana with 52 acres plowed corn with a 4 acre lake that sits not 20 yards from this corn that is surrounded on all sides by woods escept for a 50 yard opening where there are no trees. This area is the opening to the corn field and is less than 30 yards from the plowed field. Does this sound like a possible waterfowling spot? I have seen up to 10 wood ducks sitting on the lake at times, but am thinking that his sets up well for the geese, but I am green so I dont really know.

Thanks for tips
cford52
Newb

Postby KO » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:15 am

Its sounds like a good early season spot...especially for woodies....later in the season birds tend to avoid closed in spots.....however, if this wetland is devoid of fish life and has plenty of vegitation/freshwater shrimp...birds may continue to use it....just dont "overhunt" it
KO
hunter

Postby cford52 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:07 pm

I guess it is somewhat closed in on one side is woods, the nthe tree line kind of wraps around the lake. What about for the Geese? I would think that they would eat the corn. Also, the corn was harvested fairly late, finished 2nd week of deer gun season 20th 21st or there abouts. Thoughts on the geese?
cford52
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:10 pm

Have you seen geese in there? Even if you haven't if they are flying over try it out. I have seen guys work geese into spots they really didn't like before. Then you hunt it so much that the geese get used to seeing geese in there and it gets better...

Some may disagree, just what I have seen...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby southINhunter » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:41 pm

hello I am also new to waterfowl hunitng (never been) and live in South IN also. Would love to hook up. I have a couple places available to hunt geese and they hold geese. I email you also. lets hook up.
southINhunter
hunter

Postby surf_ox » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:14 pm

glad to see more indiana people here....

don't forget to check out the indiana forum.....

i'm in oakland city...i know its not the end of the world but we can see it from here...

give the indiana forum a look...be patient with the ducks...quite a few of them are still up north....this cold will help push them down...
Is a frustrated hunter swinging a canoe paddle after sunset at a fall teal breaking any laws?
surf_ox
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole