Which ducks to shoot?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Which ducks to shoot?

Postby JVex » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm

I am new to duck hunting and have a few questions. I live in San Diego and hunt the salton sea near Mexico. There are tons of shovelers (divers, spoonies) and a few teal and scaup. I don't feel right shooting hens (in the ducks I can tell the difference) even though it is legal? I also don't like shooting spoonies because they taste like @#$%. This does not leave me much to shot at. :pissed: Either I have to change my ethics or go back to upland hunting. I really like to watch the ducks fall and my dog retrieve. Am I lost or just to darn much of a conservationist?
JVex
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:04 pm

Whats wrong with spoonies? If you have the right recipe you can make any duck taste good. Also if you are following the limits set by your gov. you shouldn't feel bad about shooting hens.
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:48 pm

try this with your ducks, i know thers a recipe forum but i thought u might want it....i got it from backwoodsbound.com it will make any duck taste good

~ 3 - 4 duck breasts, cleaned and rinsed
~ garlic salt
~ 1/4 cup butter or margarine
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1 - 17oz can purple plums
~ 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
~ 1/2 cup chili sauce
~ 1/4 cup soy sauce
~ 1/4 cup lemon juice
~ 1 teaspoon ground ginger
~ 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
~ 1 teaspoon worchestershire

Prick the duck breasts with a fork and sprinkle with garlic salt. Place in a roaster pan with a lid. Roast in 350 degree oven for 2 hours or until tender.

Meanwhile in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Cook onion until tender.

Into a blender, place liquid from the plums. Pit the plums and add them to the liquid. Add onion mixture, brown sugar, and remaining ingredients. Cover and blend at high speed until smooth.

Pour plum mixture into saucepan. Over medium heat simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When duck is done, remove from oven; turn oven to 400 degrees. Remove ducks from pan, discard any drippings.

Return breasts to roaster, brush with plum sauce. Roast ducks 15 minutes longer, brushing occasionally with sauce. Serve duck with remaining sauce on the side.
NS39340
hunter

Postby GreenheadKiller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:16 pm

Hey Jvex, you and I are a lot alike. I'm the same way, I'll never try and shoot a hen mallard, or hens for that matter. Glad to see there are more people out there like you. I'm just a strong believer in shooting drakes over hens.
GreenheadKiller
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:29 pm

Shoot the Teal. Teal are great on the grill wrapped in bacon! :salude:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:31 pm

I too try my best not to shoot a hen of any kind. I try and let them go so maybe they can make it back to the breeding grounds. As for shooting spoonies, I'd sure shoot em. I don't care what kind of duck it is, if it's a drake it's gonna die. I can figure out somethin to make it taste good.
quackkiller
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole