Old vs New

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Old vs New

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:18 pm

Does any one else notice that most new calls made suck!!!!!

I have gotten to the point that I remove them from the pack in the store, blow them and put them back or buy them on how they sound. I meet a guy today selling goose shells and he had a lohman wooden duck call from the 40's or 50's. I tried to get him to part with it, still in the box and no deal. He did let me bow it and it sounded perfect. Old vs new.

I have the same exact call as a buddy and his call sound good mine sucks. Quality and tunning with new calls is about no existant from what I can tell. All the calls I have bought are tinny and do not sound like the drake mallards I hear coomunicating with other ducks.

Do ya'll see the same thing?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okie in a dodge » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:18 pm

It's kind of a catch 22. Some times it is the call. Sometimes it's the the caller, not meaning to be rude. A new call that sounds good consistently is a Hadel. The deciever (clear) or the variable tone (black) both sound good. Also, they are both double reed and blow well when wet. They also don't squeel when trying to hail a flight of birds. :thumbsup:
okie in a dodge
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:30 pm

I agree with Okie. Sometimes it's the caller. I'm not saying that you need to work on your calling I'm saying that some calls don't fit certain people's calling styles. I can't blow BGB or Olt calls worth a crap, but hand me a Winglock and I can kill ducks. Haydel's DR-85 if a good double reed as in Echo's poly calls. Both are available in our Wal-Marts around here and I bet they are in yours if they stock decent waterfowl gear.

I have actually quit buying "cheap" calls because I prefer the custom acrylic and acrylic stabilized wood calls. $150 really isn't too much to pay when you consider the amount of customer service you get. Not to mention the relationships you develop from talking to the call maker personally.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:24 pm

I agree with everything said above. I have hunted with Yeller and let me tell you, he has one of the finest Arkie lay down calls you have ever heard! But once again, could be the call, could be the caller. :thumbsup:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby shocktroop » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:30 pm

I found a huge stash of old, old fishing and hunting gear at a flea market one weekend, stuff new in the wrappers from the 50's. In this stuff was a stack of old wooden Lohman duck calls, he was asking 3.00 a piece, I bought 5 of them, I use one and absolutely love the thing, easy as heck to blow, deep raspy sound, cuts in and out of tunes great. The others I left in the original box. I see what you mean by new calls. I'll keep maybe 1 out of 5 calls I buy. Right now my favorites are the RNT Daisy-cutter and a primos Yo-Sista, sometimes the ducks like different calls, so I'll go with whatever sounds they're responding to.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:35 am

I'll tell you one thing Shocktroop---those $3 Lohmans you bought that are still in the package are worth alot more than $3 to a collector!

As for the original topic, I guess I do not agree and will leave it at that.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:01 pm

With some calls that are cheap and mass produced, you are gonna get what you pay for. I've found a few cheap calls that I like but other than that, I blow custom acrylic and wood calls. Much better quality and the customer service you get is fantastic. Some guys you can just send them your call and they will tune it and put a new reed and cork in it for you with no charge.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:02 am

kdcalls.com has some good ones hes a good call maker. and shippings free.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Re: Old vs New

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 am

Have an old olt model 66 thats pretty ducky but would rather not take it out.
Theres some new guy making really good duck calls. :wink:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

a 10 year bump... :eek:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:02 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:All the calls I have bought are tinny and do not sound like the drake mallards I hear coomunicating with other ducks.

i_willie12 wrote:a 10 year bump... :eek:

I'd like to think CnC is past trying to get hen mallard calls to sound like drake mallards coomunicating.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am

aunt betty wrote:Have an old olt model 66 thats pretty ducky but would rather not take it out.

AB I still use a 1974 Olt Model 66 and just recently bought a NOS one off of EBAY.

I don't care for the new acrylic calls at all, give me something made from Walnut any day.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:44 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Have an old olt model 66 thats pretty ducky but would rather not take it out.

AB I still use a 1974 Olt Model 66 and just recently bought a NOS one off of EBAY.

I don't care for the new acrylic calls at all, give me something made from Walnut any day.

You got the 77 that came with it?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:53 pm

aunt betty wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

You got the 77 that came with it?

Yes the 77 lies in the bottom drawer of my gun cabinet and they also can be purchased NOS off of ebay
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole