Swans

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Swans

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am

There are 2 species of swans here, one is native and the other is not. the not native swans they want you to shoot at will during the season, the native ones have a season and restrictions.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:There are 2 species of swans here, one is native and the other is not. the not native swans they want you to shoot at will during the season, the native ones have a season and restrictions.

Actually 3:
Trumpeter swans - largest swans with low population and not legal to take, at least in the lower 48. Present mainly in AK and the northwest with a few in Canada and the Midwest.
Tundra swans - legal to hunt in several states but relatively small population.
Mute swans - non-native and legal to kill in many states in the US. Considered a pest to local wildlife.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Broken Paddle » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:38 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:There are 2 species of swans here, one is native and the other is not. the not native swans they want you to shoot at will during the season, the native ones have a season and restrictions.

Actually 3:
Trumpeter swans - largest swans with low population and not legal to take, at least in the lower 48. Present mainly in AK and the northwest with a few in Canada and the Midwest.
Mute swans - non-native and legal to kill in many states in the US. Considered a pest to local wildlife.

Mute swans are a HUGE problem in CT. The Audobon Society is encouraging an open a season on them. The DEP wants a season on them. But, NO, the damned elected officials bow down to effn bunny huggers!!!!!!!!!

Thank God I am out of there!!!!!!
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. " Red Green.

I tried it, it, it did not work!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:12 pm

beretta24 wrote:

Actually 3:

Thanks for the correction. I forgot about the trumpeter swan...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Duplex lover wrote:Image

We grind'm up and make jerky and sausage .
( still not very good)
:hammer:

Were were these taken...and are you sure about trumpeters in lower 48. I've aeen pics with guys with swans that look way to big to be tundra swans. And I got a mute swan 2 years ago. Down by me. And jerry dies good work that swan he had swimming took up alota space.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 am

we shoot black swans,similar size to that big white but white birds are protected here.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 am

Blacks are bigger then trupms and the necks are enourmus
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 am

hillbilly.. wrote:Blacks are bigger then trupms and the necks are enourmus

Trumpeters are the largest waterfowl on average in the world.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 am

Indaswamp wrote:Don.....
Hey DON....
Dos and don't on swans. :wink:

The swan topic come up, I know I can count on another member to post up. I shot a few mutes a few years back, angered some locals and treehuggers. I have one above my fireplace. Consider a bust mount. You can get something that looks good with duckks on the wall. Standing and flying full body mounts are too much IMO. I saw a hanging dead mount once. It was obscenely huge.

Use BBB and shoot them in the face.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Willie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:
gangrig25 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Got drawn for a tag....let's hope there are a few around this year. I know the wife is looking forward to a flying mount over the fire place in our living room. @

Hope you goy a big fire place and wall that over 6' wing span.....and were you plane on takin it to get it mounted

What in the helllare you talking about?[g/quote]

His wife wants it mounted over the. Fire place...so I made the commet about having a big fire place and wall because they have a big wing span....then I askd what taxidermist he planes to take it to? So I'm not sure were you're cunfused at??

I'm confused as to why you can't use spellcheck. My 6 year old spells better than you.
Willie
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't have any tundra or mute swans. But could have bagged this trumpeter in may. I'm holding out for one with jewelry.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 am

Willie wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:
gangrig25 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Got drawn for a tag....let's hope there are a few around this year. I know the wife is looking forward to a flying mount over the fire place in our living room. @

Hope you goy a big fire place and wall that over 6' wing span.....and were you plane on takin it to get it mounted

His wife wants it mounted over the. Fire place...so I made the commet about having a big fire place and wall because they have a big wing span....then I askd what taxidermist he planes to take it to? So I'm not sure were you're cunfused at??

I'm confused as to why you can't use spellcheck. My 6 year old spells better than you.

im confused as to why you have to nag on my spelling. I didn't know this was the place to come to get a spelling lesson.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:
Willie wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:
gangrig25 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:

im confused as to why you have to nag on my spelling. I didn't know this was the place to come to get a spelling lesson.

Now you know. Don't let it happen again.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Mute Swans make a 14 36 jon boat shudder when you hit one at WOT with an 8 hp. out board motor!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Was not going fast enough to kill it tho, it still managed to recover & fly off! :crying:
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. " Red Green.

I tried it, it, it did not work!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm

did you check these guys out and what kind of swans are these fellows letting you shoot as i did not find a spot that say what species
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 am

I don't think you can shoot trumpeters anywhere. Tundras
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 am

beretta24 wrote:I don't think you can shoot trumpeters anywhere. Tundras

Here in Utah, if 10 trumpeters are killed, then the season is shut down for the year. This has yet to happen, but it's came pretty close.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole