2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

Re: 2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Better luck today. Yesterday was really slow down here as well. We did get 2 shovelers early and it looked like that was going to be that. Then late in the morning we got a single drake mallard to decoy and my buddy shot it. It was a quadruple curl. Never seen anything like this. Four beautiful curls on his tail 2x2. I took a picture, but not sure how it turned out.

All full plumed drake mallards have 4 curls. We see a shoot a bunch every season. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 am

Ginger hanging with a spinner.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:44 am

Bout time to call it quits for the morning. Not sure if I'll get back out for the afternoon shoot. Everyone's bored and defeated. Image

One wigeon and one Canada for the weekend. Not too impressive.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 am

Time to toss some bags of rice ans corn out

:sarcmark:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:42 pm

beretta24 wrote:Time to toss some bags of rice ans corn out

You're not kidding. I'm use to not shooting much at this club. But for the opener, we usually do better than two...
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:

You're not kidding. I'm use to not shooting much at this club. But for the opener, we usually do better than two...

This the only club you hunt?
t_baker
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:48 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:

i said last year that the rambler was bad luck.. :hi: :hi:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 pm

t_baker wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:

This the only club you hunt?

No, I hunt public and private at home. Northern Illinois is not known as being a waterfowl mecca. We do the best we can. I have a club that I hunt %90 of the time when I'm at home, that's ok. I'll go hunt the public spots if the conditions are favorable. The lack of birds here are why I travel to Saskatchewan and I'm in on a lease in SEMO.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

possumfoot wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:

For me, the rambler was good luck. I took it up to Canada. Three years ago, we shot just under 300 ducks and geese. Last year we had just under 400 for eight hunts and four shooters. This year, two at home...we would have put up 180+ in Canada. I'm thinking, not having it in Canada is why we did so bad. I'm taking it next year.

i said last year that the rambler was bad luck.. :hi: :hi:
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:38 am

Spinner is up next. Might do a hand off, we'll see how it works out.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Just passed off the decoy to spinner. Hope he has more luck than I did.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Good Luck Spinner!

Kill us some FIP ducks!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Just passed off the decoy to spinner. Hope he has more luck than I did.

Well, ginger leaves you full of pig and adult beverages ready for the next spread. :biggrin:

Good luck Spinnerman :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Good luck spinner!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

It was nice to meet you Jay. Sorry I didn't have time for more than a quick hand off.

Thanks guys. I'll do my best to kill a few over Ginger. It's a tough week now that the local birds are aware that the game is on, not to mention the unusually slow opening weekend but maybe with the colder weather maybe we will get some new birds that won't know where to hide. :yes:

With a very light breeze, I think Ginger is going to be deer hunting tomorrow. Then we'll get out in the water after that when the wind picks up a little bit and see about getting some ducks.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:48 pm

We counted coot and doves...why not deer!!!

Go stick one!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:05 am

Good luck Spinner.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 am

Ginger didn't like archery. He complained about having to sit there stiff as a board and not make any noise.

That and I didn't see any deer either :sad:

It was dead calm this morning and I was archery hunter in the same area I duck hunt. I only heard one guy shoot who must have had some ducks on the water at LST, so I don't think it really mattered what I did. Hopefully with lows in the 20's and a little bit of snow to the north, we will start seeing some movement shortly.

GingerArchery.jpg
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 am

what is this LST abriv I keep seeing
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 am

hillbilly.. wrote:what is this LST abriv I keep seeing

what is abriv???

Legal shooting time
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am

Ginger with the only thing left floating in the water after I was buzzed by a pair of woodies.

GingerShell.jpg

I should have gone goose hunting. I don't think I saw 20 ducks total. Maybe a half dozen wood ducks, and a couple small flocks of medium sized ducks I couldn't ID. I got one quick crack at a pair of woodies and that was it. The end result one spent shell floating by Ginger :sad:

I saw a lot of geese and they seemed like they wanted to play, but where I was, there was very little chance of me coaxing them in, but a couple singles showed some interest. I'm pretty sure the guy in the nearby goose blind got his 2. Even though it was a skunk, it was a fun morning.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Ginger with the only thing left floating in the water after I was buzzed by a pair of woodies.

GingerShell.jpg

I should have gone goose hunting. I don't think I saw 20 ducks total. Maybe a half dozen wood ducks, and a couple small flocks of medium sized ducks I couldn't ID. I got one quick crack at a pair of woodies and that was it. The end result one spent shell floating by Ginger :sad:

I saw a lot of geese and they seemed like they wanted to play, but where I was, there was very little chance of me coaxing them in, but a couple singles showed some interest. I'm pretty sure the guy in the nearby goose blind got his 2. Even though it was a skunk, it was a fun morning.

You'll get em, keep at it spinner!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm going to take this as a good sign. The first snowbirds arrived. I feed bird on the windowsill of my office and since the hummingbirds left, the activity has been crazy low. I even commented on this to a coworker about half an hour ago. Not five minutes ago a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos showed up which are one of the most common winter birds I have. If the snowbirds are here, the ducks can't be far behind. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Low of 27, sunny with a WNW wind in the 6-8 mph range.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:58 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I'm going to take this as a good sign. The first snowbirds arrived. I feed bird on the windowsill of my office and since the hummingbirds left, the activity has been crazy low. I even commented on this to a coworker about half an hour ago. Not five minutes ago a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos showed up which are one of the most common winter birds I have. If the snowbirds are here, the ducks can't be far behind. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Low of 27, sunny with a WNW wind in the 6-8 mph range.

...and to think I sent him off with only flip flops and shorts.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:02 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I'm going to take this as a good sign. The first snowbirds arrived. I feed bird on the windowsill of my office and since the hummingbirds left, the activity has been crazy low. I even commented on this to a coworker about half an hour ago. Not five minutes ago a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos showed up which are one of the most common winter birds I have. If the snowbirds are here, the ducks can't be far behind. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Low of 27, sunny with a WNW wind in the 6-8 mph range.

...and to think I sent him off with only flip flops and shorts.

He got a pretty good coat of frost on him this morning :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole