2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: 2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 pm

t_baker wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:
t_baker wrote:Well it never showed. Since it will come Monday it will be late and after the post office closes so I will probably end up having to next day it to Mitch.

Damn dude. I paid to have it next day since thanksgiving was Thursday. Was supposed to be there Wednesday.

Tracking still say its sitting in lima? And dont sweat it. I have about 4 dozen worth of decoys to put out in the morning. One more isn't gonna make it or break it for me. Ill post pics in spirit of Ginger.

Well that bites!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:51 pm

That does stink, but it doesn't get baker off the hook for pics and a write up. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am

Here is my write up.

Friday afternoon. Checked the mail box. No ginger. Westie told me it was on the UPS truck for delivery. Late afternoon I went to the lake to find the whole thing froze over. All 5500 acres of it. One big open spot in the middle with hundreds of ducks. Came home to no Ginger delivery.

Saturday morning. Got to the lake. Guys were leaving because ice was to thick. Went out in 2 boats with 5 guys. Broke 3 inch ice for over a mile to our blind. Tried to clear a hole and ice kept washing back in. Set decoys and got in the blind. Saw thousands of ducks. All to high to shoot looking for a place to land. Spent 3 or 4 more trips in the boat to try to open the hole with no luck. Broke a HUGE hole before we left with 3 mallards.

Sunday morning. Ice wasnt as thick and had a small hole still open by the blind. Broke a bigger hole which kept filling back in same as the day before. Killed 2 canadas and 2 mallards. By the time we left we had broke the ice in small chunks. Its almost 50 degrees today and hoping its bigger tomorrow.

I didnt even take pictures because I was so disappointed. Fought ice all weekend. Dont worry bout counting my totals if you dont want too. There are ducks everywhere down there but no where other than the middle of the lake for them to go. Candas are thick also. Total of 37 blinds on the 5500 acre lake and only 6 were able to be hunted with the ice conditions. Stupid ODNR and the split dates. I am sick from this opener. This will be my 19th duck season and I never remember a second split being this pitiful and seeing so many birds.
uploadfromtaptalk1385920139674.jpg

Look close and you can see all the birds. They were a lot lower than the picture makes it seem. Just to high to shoot.
t_baker
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Makin me nervous, Baker.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:05 pm

That's tough, Baker, but it sounds like you made the best of it. Good job on the birds you got :thumbsup:
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:21 pm

My hat's off to you if you busted through 3" of ice. I've fished on ice that thick in my younger and dumber days. Getting through ice like that is no joke....too bad more birds didn't cooperate.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Makin me nervous, Baker.

Late weeks forcast has me nervous. Few lows in the teens with no winds. So help me God if if freezes real hard. I am gonna build on of the 7 horse motors into a long tail and build a stand to put it on and use it to clear the hole. Start it about 2 hours before and let it run. This is what i did this morning with my boat but only for about 15 min. I think I can clear a big hole this way. If someone wants to hunt with me one day this week let me know. Should be thawed by Tuesday and have some decent hunting. Like I said, I have never been so disappointed yet seen so many birds. That picture I posted is what we watched both mornings for over 4 hours. Same with the Canadas.
t_baker
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:58 am

t_baker wrote:

Late weeks forcast has me nervous. Few lows in the teens with no winds. So help me God if if freezes real hard. I am gonna build on of the 7 horse motors into a long tail and build a stand to put it on and use it to clear the hole. Start it about 2 hours before and let it run. This is what i did this morning with my boat but only for about 15 min. I think I can clear a big hole this way. If someone wants to hunt with me one day this week let me know. Should be thawed by Tuesday and have some decent hunting. Like I said, I have never been so disappointed yet seen so many birds. That picture I posted is what we watched both mornings for over 4 hours. Same with the Canadas.

So was it a good or bad idea for me to have bought my Ohio license already?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:06 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Ask me in a week.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:07 pm

did the deek show up yet?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm

t_baker wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Ask me in a week.

:crying:
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Indaswamp wrote:did the deek show up yet?

If it hasn't would it still count as being in my possession?
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm

ByersFarm wrote:

HMMM....don't know. I'm just trying to keep track of it so everything stays on schedule. Mitch is up next and what happened to t-baker this year happened to mitch last season.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby mitchmc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:12 pm

OK, so ive been out of touch while hunting, whats up with Ginger, or what should I expect? Seems theres a little confusion.
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 pm

mitchmc wrote:OK, so ive been out of touch while hunting, whats up with Ginger, or what should I expect? Seems theres a little confusion.

Sorry guys had a busy day and hunting now. Just talked to Westie. Ginger showed up this morning and I am going to over night her to mitch in the morning to make sure he sees her. There was some damage to tje box but all looks intact so hopefully this next swap goes smoothly.
t_baker
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:39 pm

sounds good Baker...we are going to start hunting Thursday. I have an all star line up to hunt over ginger. Bill Daniels with Riceland Calls, also John Chassion, two time world champion speck caller and world champ all around duck and goose caller, Bryan Harris who is ranked in the top 5 speck callers and he and John have won the two man world championship several times. anyway it supposed to be an artic blast starting Friday so im going to put a good edge on the ice skates and get after um...hopefully we can get some numbers and some great write ups for the rambler. keeping my fingers crossed.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:42 pm

inda... go ahead and pm me your shipping address.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

HMMM....don't know. I'm just trying to keep track of it so everything stays on schedule. Mitch is up next and what happened to t-baker this year happened to mitch last season.

If we count her as still being here we could add 96 to her. It's up to y'all. I'm still disappointed that overnight shipping didn't get it there.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm happy to officially place the blame squarely on Westie's shoulders.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

If we count her as still being here we could add 96 to her. It's up to y'all. I'm still disappointed that overnight shipping didn't get it there.

I like your thinking

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 pm

ByersFarm wrote:If we count her as still being here we could add 96 to her. It's up to y'all. I'm still disappointed that overnight shipping didn't get it there.

If I had her for all of 2012 and all of 2013, I couldn't add 96 to her. I was just happy that I got to add one the second week of our season.

That really sucks about the mail delay. I was so paranoid about that happening when I shipped her, but there is really nothing you can do about it. Better late than never.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I'm happy to officially place the blame squarely on Westie's shoulders.

You're officially out
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:12 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:If we count her as still being here we could add 96 to her. It's up to y'all. I'm still disappointed that overnight shipping didn't get it there.

If I had her for all of 2012 and all of 2013, I couldn't add 96 to her. I was just happy that I got to add one the second week of our season.

That really sucks about the mail delay. I was so paranoid about that happening when I shipped her, but there is really nothing you can do about it. Better late than never.

Agreed. Just glad it showed up finally.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I'm happy to officially place the blame squarely on Westie's shoulders.

You're officially out

This made me laugh.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:

You're officially out

This made me laugh.

You should've seen the hand gesture.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole