synthetic raffia...(order arrived)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: synthetic raffia...(order arrived)

Postby REM1100 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 pm

I have bought some synthetic rafia used to make hula skirts, was pretty cheap.
There are two problems with it, it is so light that it moves a lot in the breeze and is a little bit noisy and it has a light sheen to it and it won't take to dye but paint.
I use a combo of real rafia and the synthetic stuff and they all work fairly well in coverage of 50%
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 am

Somewhere in there, there's a joke about rem making and wearing hula skirts, I'm just too lazy to do it.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:25 am

Indaswamp wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Is that enough to cover up a really fat chick so your friends won't see her? :devil:

:huh: We don't hunt with fat chicks....do hunt with one fat bitch though. She is hell on cripples and likes to shake and get the blind wet.

You don't know what you're missing.

Are you sure that stuff isn't too shiny?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 pm

It is no more shiny than the sheen on a newly fallen leaf. Looks natural to me.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm not reading 5 pages of commentary on fake grass, but I have to ask, at what point are we giving these birds a little too much credit?

Weaving camouflage pom-poms to hide myself is where I draw the line.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I'm not reading 5 pages of commentary on fake grass, but I have to ask, at what point are we giving these birds a little too much credit?

Pshh... I bet you're going to tell me black hoodies aren't a necessity of duck hunting either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I'm not reading 5 pages of commentary on fake grass, but I have to ask, at what point are we giving these birds a little too much credit?

"Rah Rah Ree....choot 'em inda beak! Rah Rah rass don't choot 'em inda Azz!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 am

go get the bird wrote:

Pshh... I bet you're going to tell me black hoodies aren't a necessity of duck hunting either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They're not? Those sonsabitches got me again!

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 am

Inda,

Put down the Pom Pom's, take off the mini skirt and post up some pics of your progress.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:06 am

ScaupHunter wrote:India, put down the Pom Pom's, take off the Mimi skirt and post up some pics of ur progress.

I haven't even started onda ghillies yet!! :lol3: Too much other stuff I gotta do before I get to them. Getting the Indacamp ready for moving day down river first....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Slacker! I plan to have mine done this weekend. The Wraphia should be in by Thursday. I have the mesh all cut out and fitted and will be fiddling with different ideas on how to connect it to the mesh once it gets here. Friday and Saturday evening are already dedicated to getting it done.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 pm

go on....
Attachments
640px-I-am-monitoring-this-thread.jpg
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:04 pm

After researching raffia (rayon), i found this.

Man-made fibres derived from cellulose are susceptible to microbial deterioration. Viscose (rayon) is readily attacked by mildew and bacteria; acetate and triacetate are more resistant although discoloration can occur if the fabrics are incorrectly stored. Fibres made from synthetic polymers (e.g. acrylic, nylon, polyester, polyethylene, and polypropylene fibres) are very resistant to attack by micro-organisms.

source : http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/rot.htm
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 am

Cantshootwell wrote:After researching raffia (rayon), i found this.

Man-made fibres derived from cellulose are susceptible to microbial deterioration. Viscose (rayon) is readily attacked by mildew and bacteria; acetate and triacetate are more resistant although discoloration can occur if the fabrics are incorrectly stored. Fibres made from synthetic polymers (e.g. acrylic, nylon, polyester, polyethylene, and polypropylene fibres) are very resistant to attack by micro-organisms.

source : http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/rot.htm

Well CRAP!!! :sad: All this time I had it in my head that rayon was similar to nylon...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 am

I am not particularly worried about it. Rayon holds very little water and dries very rapidly. My plan is to hang the ghillie under a roofed area between hunts. Once season is over I will fully dry the ghillie, then store it in a dry place. This is no different than using burlap on a ghillie. Same maintenance requirements and years of useful life.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 am

ScaupHunter wrote:I am not particularly worried about it. Rayon holds very little water and dries very rapidly. My plan is to hang the ghillie under a roofed area between hunts. Once season is over I will fully dry the ghillie, then store it in a dry place. This is no different than using burlap on a ghillie. Same maintenance requirements and years of useful life.

I had it in my head that rayon was rot proof. Guess I was wrong about that. Guess there is no way around having to dry the ghillie after a hunt..... I was looking for something to save me some headache while at da camp.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 am

Well im kinda glad I bought a test roll and didn't like the coverage of it... :biggrin:

But one thing to consider who did use the rayon raffia, Apply Thompsons water seal on a small batch and see how it fares.... I am doing that to all the real raffia and it sheds water. Not sure if the rayon will absorb it or not hell it may even Melt the polymer fiber but worth a test anyways....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:26 am

Everything rots eventually; nylon can even rot and degrade over time. Since Rayon is a semi-synthetic compound made from organic materials, it is more susceptible to rot than and 100% synthetic fabric. However, I guarantee it is more resilient to mold/mildew than natural raffia grass.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 am

Exactly. Having spent a lot of years out of doors and plenty of years in the military out of doors I can tell you that any fabric will rot. As will Raffia Grass. Most Raffia makes it three years at best. We will see what the Thompsons Water Seal does for Raffia. It is also heavy and a mess once it starts to rot. Raffia also absorbs water which makes it a lot heavier.

I am not sold on the Wraphia just yet since I have not run it through the duck season wringer. I will have my ghillie finished for the pod this weekend. Assuming the stuff gets here by Friday night. I live in the NW where it rains all winter so this will be an excellent test of the material. Toss in having the dog climb in over it all season, mud, rain, salt water, etc... and it will be a good test. I think that I will test some samples with the new never wet spray, and others with the Thompsons, rain guard, etc and weave them into the ghillie at set points. That way I can judge how well they they work compared to the plain rayon. I do know that flocking experts and websites will tell you to buy nylon flocking instead of Rayon.

Either way I bought enough to do the pod and most likely my sled blind for less than it would have cost me to cover the pod. If it lasts three or four years that makes it as good as real raffia at far less weight and far less cost.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am

I imagine that thompson water seal would leave a shine on the raffia. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to tie/braid wraphia so it the best weight/look.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:44 am

Cantshootwell wrote:I imagine that thompson water seal would leave a shine on the raffia. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to tie/braid wraphia so it the best weight/look.

It don't unless its wet... :thumbsup:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Has anyone used this yet or bundled it up preparing to use it? I'd like to see it outdoors on a blind or something
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm

teddysberna wrote:Has anyone used this yet or bundled it up preparing to use it? I'd like to see it outdoors on a blind or something

I bought 2 rolls and wasn't impressed by how much it takes to make a bundle for a layout I could possibly see using it however Raffia has better coverage. that's just my opinion on covering a 16 foot deep v.
18javelin
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 pm

18javelin wrote:
teddysberna wrote:Has anyone used this yet or bundled it up preparing to use it? I'd like to see it outdoors on a blind or something

I bought 2 rolls and wasn't impressed by how much it takes to make a bundle for a layout I could possibly see using it however Raffia has better coverage. that's just my opinion on covering a 16 foot deep v.

That's kind of what I figured after seeing Swamp's "bundles"
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 pm

AR Dave
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole