synthetic raffia...(order arrived)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: synthetic raffia...(order arrived)

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 pm

AR Dave wrote:Image

Is that the real raffia Dave?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes :yes:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 am

I just got 3 - 500 yard rolls in hand from Fed Ex. First blush impression is that the material is pretty weak, and as mentioned before will not provide a lot of coverage. A double overhand or a square knot should hold the material in place just fine. Knot slipping does not look like it will be problem.

Having made ghillies in the Army and seeing a wide variety of them in use, many people go overboard on grassing up a suit, boat, or layout. My plan is to use 5 or 6 strand bundles that are 12 inches long to start. That will give me 6 inch legs for ten legs per bundle. I plan to grass one end of the netting and see how it looks then fiddle with it from there. The plans is to set it up so the legs lay down along most of the boat with the edges around the opening to the pod being set up with stand up legs and longer overlapping lengths to cover the edges of the opening. I will post pictures up on Monday of the progess and stages along with my impressions of the material and how well it covers the pod.

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 am

Started with three - 500 yard spools of Wraphia.

I started tying in the Wraphia using varying lengths of 10 strand bundles around the edges of the netting. I was tying them in very tightly to get a dense layering. I was originally worried about not having enough coverage.

I ended up packing the area around the tip of the pod and up to half the length of the front way more densly than I needed for good coverage. I wasted a lot of Wraphia that I didn't need to in this area. I was steadily thinning out the Wraphia and looking to see how many bundles in a 4 inch square I needed to get good coverage.

If you look at the tip of the pod you can see that the material is laid out flat and starts to stand up as you move back along the length of the netting. The really dense packing of the material at the tip forced the Wraphia to all lay down. As you move back towards the opening in the pod you can see how the material is starting to stand up. I tied in the Wraphia bundles to the netting with a double overhand knot. The knots are not slipping and when tighened properly should stay put. By the time I got to the opening on the pod I was tying it in ever other piece of the net and alternating tie in points on every row of netting. The extra material used in the front half of the covered area could have finished both sides of the pod netting if I had not been fiddling around with the density of the material as a test run.

When used in bundles the Wraphia is very strong. It does not hold water which means weight will be kept to a minimum and rapid drying of the ghillie should be easy to achieve. When tied in with an open density it stands up nicely and can cover a large area with a minimum amount of material. It is the exact color and sheen of the dead greass in our area. Green grass and dandelions have a bit more sheen to them as you can see in the picture. Oh, and this stuff burns really easily. If it is dry and you are a smoker. I would not reccomend smoking in the boat with this stuff.

Overall I am very impressed with the material. I have enough ordered to finish the pod out and may order more to do the sled blind.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am

Looks really good scaup! :clapping:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 am

So how many strands are you tying per each 4" x 4" square? Got it figured out yet? Pics??

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

10 Strands per bundle. The bundles are intentionally cut to varying lengths from 8" to 16 inches. Short ones provide an under layment of material with the random longer ones giving depth to the cover.

10 bundles per 4" x 4" section.

The X's are the bundles. If you look at the example as a grid in the garden fencing that has 1 inch squares you can see how I have it laid out. This is closest to the opening of the boat and provides plenty of cover for the pod. I was tying a bundle in on every other cross piece on each row with the tie in points staggered on alternating rows. I tied in a bundle on every cross piece along the edged rows and second row in for the edge to ensure good coverage around the edges of the pod and the opening to the pod. I will get some pictures of the back side of the net to show you what I am talking about tonight.

- X - X -
X - X - X
- X - X -
X - X - X
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 pm

When you're done with that aquapod this year can you mail it to me...pleeeeaaasssseeee!!! :wink:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I will be happy to for the incredibly low price of $5 with $1,100 for shipping.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm going to get your address from Everett and haul my boat to your house with wraphia and bird wire in it, ring your door bell then run. I expect it back in a week completely grassed. Don't let me down Clay!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Lookin good Scaup :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:09 pm

I use this. it unravels and mixed with burlap strips really makes it blend in. I haven't changed mine in 4 season on the rails of my sculling boat. very cheap

probably gets heavy but its on my boat so that's not a factor for me. hasn't molded... from my understanding is burlap is soaked in gas to repel insects. must have some kind of anti mold properties too
Attachments
jutestringcocoalge_2010.gif
jutestringcocoalge_2010.gif (87.91 KiB) Viewed 794 times
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 pm

daffy... wrote:I use this. it unravels and mixed with burlap strips really makes it blend in. I haven't changed mine in 4 season on the rails of my sculling boat. very cheap

probably gets heavy but its on my boat so that's not a factor for me. hasn't molded... from my understanding is burlap is soaked in gas to repel insects. must have some kind of anti mold properties too

Better not light up a cigarette in dat blind!! :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 am

Pictures like these?

These pictures cover the edge and middle of the tied in areas. I will take some process photos in a step by step format when I get the next order of Wrapia in hand and post them up.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:57 am

yea, that's what I was looking for...thanks!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am

Scaup-you got it finished yet? Can we see a finished pic.?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby refteck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Just wondering how many yards do you guess per sq/ft? I'm looking at doing my 16' folding blind and the math from the examples about would make it way too expensive. I would like to be able to cover the complete blind with the top for under $200.
refteck
Newb

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Inda, I am 3/4 done. I will post up pics early in the week.

A 16 foot blind and top is going to cost more than $200 if you go as dense as I am doing the pod.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:44 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Inda, I am 3/4 done. I will post up pics early in the week.

A 16 foot blind and top is going to cost more than $200 if you go as dense as I am doing the pod.

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 am

refteck wrote:Just wondering how many yards do you guess per sq/ft? I'm looking at doing my 16' folding blind and the math from the examples about would make it way too expensive. I would like to be able to cover the complete blind with the top for under $200.

From my estimates when I figured up my 16 foot lund deep v would be about 400 bucks for full total coverage and take three times as long as ordering real raffia. for these scull boats and layout the synthetic would be nice as its lighter & waterproof but Real raffia seems tougher and can spray with thompsons every now and then to freshen waterproof up.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby refteck » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank you for the reply. We hunt mainly cattail marshes and was looking for something waterproof that will fold up easily with the blind and blend in well, but at over $400 I'll have to think about it....
refteck
Newb

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I finished up the ghillie and will get some pictures soon. I ran a bunch of different densities and a mix of color patterns and blends on different parts to see which I liked best. I am sure the birds won't care. The ghillie took 6- 500 yard spools. I can say that I could have completed it with four rolls using the lighter density of materials and still had good coverage of the pod. I have enough material left to do a cover for the opening. I will get pictures of the various sections and show pics of the tie in densities with descriptions so you guys can decide what you like and want to use. I will be taking the pod and ghillie out for a field trial this weekend. Time to see if it works on ducks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

The front of my boat alone is going to be 33 x 117 inches. That's ruffly 1930 bundles for the front alone, consisting of various lengths between 8"-16", median is about 12" per strand. That's 10 feet or 3.333 yards per bundle every other inch. A total of 6433 yards for just the front. 2500 yards cost me about 100 bucks.....so...yea... You can buy "Fast Grass Blind Mat Camo Boat Material 1-33" x 30' Roll Duck Grass Mat" for 89 bucks on ebay. Guess i'll be going natural grass this year while I slowly build my wraphia blind.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 am

I managed to get pictures between rain showers last night.

If you take a hard look a the photo you will see how little the different densities of material change the overall look of the ghillie. The front of the pod has a very dense packing of long materials. This section of the pod took 3 rolls by itself. The left leg along the opening was tied into the matrix in this pattern.

X | X | X
_ _ _
X | X | X
_ _ _
X | X | X

The strands were all about 15 inches long and tied in at varying points in the length of the strand. This gives an under layer effect to the ghillie with the taller strands standing up nicely when dry. This method gives the ghillie depth. It also eats up material at a prodigous rate.

If you look at the right leg of the ghillie along the opening you will notice it is taller and a bit wider at the front end and tapers to the far end. I intentionally tied this with 15 inch bundles at the front end and steadily dropped the lenght down to 9 inches at the far end to see what effect it would have on the look and coverage.

The right leg of the ghillie was tied into the matrix in this pattern. This tie in pattern provides good coverage at the shortest bundle length with the staggered tie in patterns and occasional longer bundles tied in to provide a rougher look to the ghillie. This section obviously took the least amount of material. After finishing this section out I kicked myself for not doing it in reverse. I would have used around 1/2 of the material.

X | - | X | - |
- | X | - | X |
X | - | X | - |

Close up of the bow of the pod - very heay denisty with long bundles. This pictures also shows the taller right leg section and the difference between a very dense and a light tie in density at the same lengths. The bow was tied with the majority of the colors being kept together in groupings. I varied the color patterns and mixes to see which ones I like best. I still have to make a green early season ghillie for the pod and wanted to have some better ideas for it.

This picture shows the stern end of the pod with moderate density tie ins and mixed lengths of bundles with most being 12 inches or a bit longer. Staggered lengths on the ties were used. This section of the ghillie is where I started working the colors together instead of keeing them to individual groupings of color. I really liked the effect of the mixed colors and will be using it on future ghillies.

This is the left leg of the ghillie just behind the bow. I used the moderately dense packing tie ins with the colors being varied in bands for this part of the ghillie. The bundles varied from 8 inches to 15 inches in this portion of the ghillie.

This is the other half of the left ghillie leg. I carried out the color pattern with a mixing of the colors on the right of the picture to see if I liked it and distinct bands of color on the the rest. It also shows the blend of the medium density ties in on the left leg to the tie in with the light density tie ins used on the stern. You can see a clear delineation where the last Kraft colored band blends into the mixed color sections at the green / tan boundary on the stern.

The next photo shows the very short and growing length sections of the right leg of the ghillie near the stern. These bundles averaged 8 to 10 inches in length with varied ties in lengths. This section of the ghillie recieved an emphasis on Kraft and Oatmeal colors with a mixed colors emphasized.

The last photo shows the Kraft and Oatmeal color emphasis with very light mixes of other color blending. This section shows a clear change in the look where I made a rapid transition from 10 inch and under bundle lengths to 12 to 15 inch long bundles with varied tie in lengths.

My end analysis is.

1. I wasted a lot of unnecessary material on the ghillie
2. Using an every other grid - alternated row tie in will provide adequate coverage
3. Using 8 to 10 inch bundles with the every other grid / altered tie in provides adequate coverage
4. I like the look and density of the longer alteranted tie in the best.
5. Heavy density tie in patterns forces the material to all lay down and wastes alot of material
6 Mixed colors look the best to the eye
7. Mixed colors are not always the best pattern to match your environment
8. I will be making the next ghillie with an every other grid / alternated tie in with 12 to 15 inch bundles

I am not sure how the material will stand up to heavy use. I will keep the thread updated as we move through the season.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Looks awesome... Nice work!
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole