Duck Hunting Forum banner

Ethics Question

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  duckplucker 
#1 ·
Ok, got a few questions for you guys.
1) What is the easiest, most effective way of finishing off a cripple. Example. You retrieve the bird only to find out he's still alive, ring it's neck?, Put your knee in it's back to suffocate it? I've heard a few, but seeing what you guys do when you get one.
2) In tx, does your 10y/o boy have to have a duck stamp? I take my boy out, and given time, he can get his own bag, but the guys at the ramp look at me like I'm a turd. He uses an old youth 20ga single shot, but can bang em down when they come in on cupped wings over decoys.
So whatcha guys think?

#4 ·
I hate ringing the neck, I ring the hell out of it, but....they LIVE, or until the damn head pops off like a cork........no thanks. What I usually do is place the bird on a firm surface, and put my knee/weight on their back...this I am told, suffocates them pretty quick, usually takes 10-15 seconds for me, doesn't ugly up the bird for taxidermists, and seems pretty forgiving as things can be. But with mallards, and only mallards, for me anyways, the knee in the back takes forever, wither they're that damn tough or what, I dunno, but just seeing if theres a better way.

#5 ·
Most of the time the dog brings mine back dead, but if they are still alive I kinda pop their neck like a whip...if they still move, a sharp strike of the head to a tree is the next move.

Don't know about the stamps for the kid....

About him going with you.....and taking his limit......who cares what people at the boat ramp think. He's out there to have a good time and he should...don't worry about people who don't even matter in your life, your out to please him, not them. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I grab them by the head and snap them like a whip. Rabbits I grab them firmly underneath the body and punch them in the back of the head. I was hunting with I guy I know years ago. He shot a deer, and when he got to it it was still alive. He jumped on it's back, took out his knife and slit it's neck...screaming the whole time. I said what the **** is wrong with you and never hunted with him again. Cripes that was just plain old creepy.

#8 ·
Once my dad was hunting with a guy and my dad shot a banded duck and it was stills swimming si this guy got in the boat and drove out to where it was and SHOT IT SO CLSE THE ONLY THING LEFT WAS SOME FEATHERS AND THE FEET AND BILL

#9 ·
I'll adress #2 only. As for the guys viewing you dimly, you got to be kidding :eek: :thumbsdown: I sure am glad I my Dad did the right thing and took me hunting when I was still in grammar school. Trust me, take your son hunting and teach him good basic safety and spostrmenship as it'll mold him for the rest of his life in a positive way IMHO. :thumbsup:
You do not need the federal stamp when they are that young. I suggest looking at the TX dept of Wildlife or what ever they call it there to check what the state laws are concerning needing a state stamp.

#10 ·
shocktroop: your no.2 statement regarding the guys that look @ you w/ an odd expression really stirred my Gaelic blood. Seriously - how dare they? Taking your boy hunting is one of the noblest, decent, most wonderful things that you can do w/ him. I feel sorry for anyone @ that lake who can't see this; they're pathetic. You're training a young hunter - he's our future. May God bless you, man! & good luck to youns as youns chase those ducks & geese. As far as what he needs - most states only require youth to have a state issued HIP stamp. Sounds like this boy has a good dad. Merry Christmas.

#12 ·
I think I get the funny looks cause they think I take him so I can shoot two limmits, of coursa that isn't the case. Thanks all.
Like someone else said they're jealous. Good for you for taking your son, that's my only goal left in life, to teach my children to enjoy the outdoors and hunting. Of course I might need to get a girlfriend, get married and have kids first. :laughing:

As for the cripples, just bite their head off. Like the Duck Commander does on his video. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Bucky193 said:
Once my dad was hunting with a guy and my dad shot a banded duck and it was stills swimming si this guy got in the boat and drove out to where it was and SHOT IT SO CLSE THE ONLY THING LEFT WAS SOME FEATHERS AND THE FEET AND BILL
:withstupid:
I hope your dad never hunted with him again.

#14 ·
I just grab the body and strike it's head against something hard...usually my boat...for years I would rind the neck, but couldnt stand to watch them flop in the boat...a blow to the head ends it quickly
now i now what "ko" stands for. :yes:
I grab them by the head and snap them like a whip. Rabbits I grab them firmly underneath the body and punch them in the back of the head. I was hunting with I guy I know years ago. He shot a deer, and when he got to it it was still alive. He jumped on it's back, took out his knife and slit it's neck...screaming the whole time. I said what the **** is wrong with you and never hunted with him again. Cripes that was just plain old creepy.
that creeped me out here at home... its the screaming part that got me.

i never tryed knockin its head before, i don't now why i do it with fish sometimes. but thats what i'm gonna do now. i tryed to "squize" one to death once, read it in a mag. but it didnt work. i usually ring the neck but my kids wonder what happeded to the darn thing when i get it home.

had

#17 ·
OK, following the advice found here, I shot a gorgeous pintail drake yesterday evening, still had some fight in him, so I grabbed him and hard as I could whacked his head upside my boat..........didn't do it, niether did the 4 or five other ones.....maybe it was nerves or something, but when I get a cripple, I get the alpha that refuses to die......

#18 ·
When I hunt with my son, I always let him have the 1st shot. If he drops the bird it's awesome. If he misses or cripples it I'm there for a back up shot. Don't worry about the other folks, just smile and talk it up.

The dog - kid and guns ready - it just doesn't get any better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.