Pacific Flyway Rambler Sign Up

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Pacific Flyway Rambler Sign Up

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Took the rambler for a ride down river. I had a small puddler place in mind but, when I saw a couple of groups already setup near it, I bagged the puddler hunt and headed for a diver spot.
The wind was whipping pretty good and, as the geese started getting up and changing places, they were low.
I remember thinking, as soon as goose shoot time gets here, all I need is for those little geese to pass over the dunes 100 yards this way and I'll at least have a chance. Ask and ye shall receive.

35 minutes after goose shoot time, I had my first chance and connected with the above cackler.
Stayed out a few more hours and we ended up 3 BB and the lone goose.

Making plans right now for tomorrows hunt with AKPirate. Right now it looks like we'll be diver hunting. The puddlers are mostly MIA lately.
Wish us luck. :thumbsup: :hammer: :hammer:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Good job :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 pm

I hunted the rambler yesterday with QH's Paw, and AKPirate. Tough hunt, a few pics from before the rain
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 am

Tealer wrote:I hunted the rambler yesterday with QH's Paw, and AKPirate. Tough hunt, a few pics from before the rain

Rain? What's this rain you speak of?!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 pm

: Received the Rambler today, but to late to hunt with it today.

Headed to bag some birds tomm over her, pic's to come ...
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

: Well Gents, "HELL" has officially FROZEN OVER ... Why do I say this? I'm a Diver guy, love hunting them ... ALLLLLLL about them, hands down, my passion. Not just waterfowling, but diver hunting ... So The story begins

Wind, ... now most of us BEG for wind during the season, but as my Daddy told me, "Watch what you wish for!" So I get the Rambler Thurs Night, ... Fri morning Columbia Basin Local (CBL) and I head out to our DIVER spot, "literally" we have smoked I kid you not ... 100 Buffies out this one "Honey Hole" this year alone! I'm thinking we are gonna SMOKE'em over the rambler today!

Wind forecast for the river is S to SW @ 15-20mph with gust up to 35mph ... Ok, alittle over kill on the wind. River is white capping left and right, blind needs re-enforced with heavy lumber just to keep it up and not blown in our lap. Set up is 6 Buffies on 1 Long line at the bottom of the hole, 2 more set up on 2lb droppers to keep in place on the river. 3 Bluebill deeks, 2 are Herters and the Rambler are set center, along with a makeshift diver spinner. At the top of the hole are 3 Goldeneye deeks on a short long line. Small spread, but this late in the season, it will do the job.

10min prior to shooting light, a Goldeneye Hen lands RIGHT in the pocket ... Took it as a good sign. .... Pause for a cup of hot coffee and CBL and I are ready to roll. 7:25am, Buffy Drake in the bag ... 8:15am, Buffy Drake in the bag. NOOOWWWWWWW, one would think the numbers are going to start piling up ... WRONG ... That was the last DIVER of the day. Not the last duck, the last DIVER !!! A Drake & Hen Mallard land in the pocket, bagged, followed by a Drake Gadwall and followed by a Hen Widgeon. I can't keep the freakin puddlers out of the spread, GOOD GAWD!

So, at Noon, we pack up as the gusts are not 30mph, but climbing ... Blown off the river! CBL has to get to a Honey Do List and Mama's Birthday are on his agenda. So, we part ways, 6 birds in hand.

I decide to go to a little spot that might be outta the wind, protected. I take the Rambler, and ONLY the Rambler ... and off I go to a back bay. Wind is just HOWLING but low and behold, I'm there 10min, easy set up, one deek ... and I have a Drake Gadwall in the bag, one shot, maybe a 9 yard shot in my face ... 25min later, I have 4 Mallards battling the wind, ... Now way they are gonna ... Good GAWD they did, ... Picked the drakes out, and BAMMM BAMMM two more Drake Mallards in the bag.

Allllllllll an Alllllllll, .... 9 Birds over the Rambler today. Tomm is gonna be ROUGH as they are forecasting a 40mph SW wind, with gusts to 60mph! I'm gonna give it a shot, but don't think I'll be able to keep the decoy off the shore!

Thanks to CBL for the blind conversation today ... A bad day on the river beats a good day at the office, "anyday"!

Rambler and Morning Hunt Bounty

Afternoon Bagged Puddlers

Decoys and Rambler

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 am

Nice! :beer: :beer:
Too bad about those pesky park ducks mixing in on your diver hunt. :hi:
Glad the deek got there quick.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 pm

I know it's a few days late but, here are a few pics from AKPirate and I on our rambler diver hunt this past Monday. First pic is me with the first bird of the day.

Here is a pic at the ramp with AKPirate and the day's take of 3 BB and the sawbill.

I think this years ramblers numbers I posted are the lowest ever. It was a good time as usual hunting with a few guys from the forum. AKPirate is welcome in my boat or blind any day of the season. :beer:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 pm

: Well, couldn't get out for a second hunt yesterday with the Rambler, due to 40+MPH winds and gusts to 70+ ... So, after work, ran home, threw on my waders and grabbed the ONE lone decoy for a 85min hunt in 30+MPH winds ...

Goal accomplished ... 1 LOOOOOOONNNNNEEEELLLLLLLYYYYYY Drake Lesser decided he wanted to cup in outta the wind on the river .... BAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM .... 2 Day hunt over the Rambler produced 10 birds!

The Pacific Flyway Rambler is now headed to New Mexico on it's final leg of it's western tour! Good Luck with it Zack!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:11 pm

: Kinda stuck in a rock and hard place ... Haven't heard back on txt, phone calls or pm's on DHC from "fishonzac"

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Kinda stuck in a rock and hard place ... Haven't heard back on txt, phone calls or pm's on DHC from "fishonzac"
BBBD, it was layed out clearly at the beginning of the rambler discussions, people are responsible to check in and keep track of their turn coming up, including communicating.
You have done more than your "do diligence". I say keep the deek until ScaupHunter lets you know where he wants you to send it to him.
There are several reasons guys stop communicating. Sometimes life just gets too busy. fishonzac will understand the show must go on.
Just keep hunting the deek until ScaupHunter contacts you. Once you have sent ScaupHunter a PM, you have done what you can. :beer: :thumbsup:
Now, get out there and chase those cans....that's an order duck brother. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm

I'll be out there Thursday..... Maybe we can get few more birds over it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Hunt it for as long as you can then send it my way so I have it the last weekend of season.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Great time hunting and meeting you guys QH and Tealer. Looking forward to more hunts and memories!
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I know it won't be duck season but I would be down to take it for our late goose hunt 2nd week of February just to get it a few more birds before scaup retires it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 am

How long do you think it would take for the deek to get to Arizona? I'd love to use it this 3 day weekend if it's okay with ScaupHunter.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Guess its getting hunted this weekend by 3-4-5 DHC members that came outta the woodwork here in WA.

Thanks for the offer, but it'll have some ducks killed over it this weekend, and then sending to Scauphunter

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

@ scaup. I would be glad to use it for the jr hunt that I will be taking some of my cousins on. It's the week after duck closes and them out late goose the week after. I would sure like some good rambler mojo for the youngsters
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 am

Pm me your address. I will send it your way. Just send it on back when you are done with the hunts. I am game to keep this one going as long as we can.

If everyone likes the idea of a foam rambler let me know. I will put together some pics and post options for next year. We can run a pacific flyway vote to select the species. Feel free to post up ideas here. If someone else wants to donate the next rambler I am totally cool with that. I figured I would toss it out there and see what the response is.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby All-Day » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 am

Hi all. I have been watching this post most of the season. I like it a lot better than the bald pete project on the other forum. Having it kept to a flyway makes it very cool, and more personal. Seems easier too. I would like to get in on this coming seasons Rambler. I hunt all over Wa state. Divers, dablers and sea duck.
Thanks,
Kurt
Just Ducky
All-Day
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole