Hunting ducks on a roost

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Hunting ducks on a roost

Postby joryc » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:01 pm

hey all im from northwest oklahoma and i hunt ducks on a roost. every hunt ive been on this year the ducks come in after shooting hours. what can chage this and force the ducks to come in earlier. Will bitter cold weather make them come in earlier because a massive cold front is about to strike here, im sure youve seen it or already experienced it. Just lookin for some veteran input. Also does anyone else on here hunt a roost? If so im looking form some tips. Thanks alot
joryc
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:35 am

The only thing that might bring them in earlier is a cloudy day or winter storm. How often do you hunt it? If it's more than once a week, then the ducks are use to this and will probably continue to roost late. Try to see where to ducks spend their day. You may land on an awesome field hunt. Other than that good luck. :smile:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby joryc » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:33 am

I hunt this marsh probably once every 10 days.
joryc
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:48 am

To gets ducks during shooting hours--hunt them where they are feeding. Go a scout for them and hunt the fields or where ever they are heading to in the morning. I do not like to hunt roost ponds as they will move from the hunting of them or purposefully come in after shooting hours.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:01 pm

If your hole is like mine then stop trying to hunt them in the evening, they are always gonna come in after shooting hours, and plus when you try and hunt them then when all the ducks are coming, you will scare them off. Your best bet is to hunt it in the morning. I've never killed a duck in the afternoon at my spot. You may not kill alot early in the morning but if you wait til around 8, the good flights will come in. They will leave in the morning to feed and then come back to rest, this is when you hammer em. Good luck to you. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:08 am

joryc wrote:I hunt this marsh probably once every 10 days.

Good, that won't scare them off. Yeah, try to find where they are feeding or hunt late in the day when they come back from feeding like qk said. :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:26 am

Our honey hole is located in the pool where several thousand mallards roost every night. We hunted it everyday for about 2 weeks and killed limits every day. The ducks always started coming back about 2:30. We would shoot our limits then get the heck out of there so the birds could be left unmolested. We still shoot limits everytime we hunt this roost. Last night had about 10,000 mallards that came there at about 10 am. If I would've felt like walking it would have been one of those hunts you never forget. Instead I took a disabled hunter out in the boat and we shot 10. He kept thanking me for taking him out, so I it was worth it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby joryc » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:00 am

Ks waterfowler.....do the weather conditions matter on what time the ducks come in to roost?
joryc
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:35 am

Generally speaking if it cloudy or the weather is a little nasty the birds come back earlier. The spot we hunt if there is any wind at all the game is over (everything decoys). Alot of it depends on what the ducks have learned. These ducks had the hunters pegged. The would start flying about 12. At 2:30 they were really coming in. Just after shooting light there would be some many birds coming in it was amazing to watch. Weather and hunting pressure play a huge role.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:52 pm

Most definitely save that spot of overcast, foggy or days with bad weather. It'll save you a lot of frustration.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole