Snow on the decoys?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Snow on the decoys?

Postby ATMO » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:43 pm

Big question for you guys! This morning I was hunting in the pouring snow here in Texas of all places. Does it hurt the the hunting when it is snowing real hard? Next, does it matter if your decoys get a lot of snow on them? Not that I will ever hunt for ducks when it is snowing this hard ever again, but just in case. Let me know. You guys from up north should know the answer to this question.
Killed 6 by the way. 3 widgeon and 3 gadwall.
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Lonesome Dove
ATMO
Newb

snow on decoys

Postby e'villeduck » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:11 pm

Well that happens up here more often than down there. I've had some great hunts in the snow and some not so good. We received 7 inches today and expect another 6-10 tonight. It does help to keep the snow off if its at all possible. Wade out every once in awhile and brush at least a few off. Otherwise, if you need a boat to get out there, it probably would be to much trouble.
Time is of the essence, don't waste it.
e'villeduck
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:06 pm

yeah you need to clean the dekes off when its snowing. they dont look to good covered in snow. i havent did very good when its snowing hard. we usually just pick up and go. to many dekes to clean off.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ATMO » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:01 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. Hope it helps in the future.
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Lonesome Dove
ATMO
Newb

Postby Bucky193 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:36 pm

We have about 13 inches of snow and this si the first day
If only my dog could talk and cook I wouldn't need a wife.
Bucky193
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole