.22 in the field?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:Was it Rick talking about stabbing them in the brain thru their bill/ mouth or something? I remember someone talking about dispatching them that way once upon a time


Rick's method is to bend their head straight backwards until the vertebrae snaps.

I thought he used his canine tooth to put a hole in their head.

So many urban legends floating around about this guy, is he even real.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX


Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Broken Paddle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Smak its head on any handy hard surface, gunwale, framing of the blind etc.
Broken Paddle
hunter
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:15 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:Was it Rick talking about stabbing them in the brain thru their bill/ mouth or something? I remember someone talking about dispatching them that way once upon a time


Rick's method is to bend their head straight backwards until the vertebrae snaps.

I thought he used his canine tooth to put a hole in their head.

So many urban legends floating around about this guy, is he even real.

@teddy- that was a group of doctors that hunted with rick that recommended this if memory serves me right on this....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Broken Paddle wrote:Smak its head on any handy hard surface, gunwale, framing of the blind etc.


this always works for me. works for frogs, too.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
Professor_Leakey
hunter
 
Posts: 1928
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: MASS

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:
Broken Paddle wrote:Smak its head on any handy hard surface, gunwale, framing of the blind etc.


this always works for me. works for frogs, too.

makes a mess with ducks if you crack the skull though....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm

apexhunter wrote:Like others have said, wounded birds are simply part of any hunting be it upland or waterfowl. Go buy an inexpensive pair of crimping pliers & use a section between the crimp holes (or the very smallest hole) and crush the neck. This severs the spinal column instantly rendering it deceased very quickly and there is no more pain & suffering to the birs. Or another way is to put the breast in your palm (the duck that is, not your hunting partner's) and wrap your fingertips around the meat and squeeze in with the tips, squeezing the bird's diaphragm- holding it for 30 seconds or so. This collapses the lungs & stops the heart resulting in a very humane and quick end.

OR- to the old Phil Robertson trick of biting the skull & crushing the brain- instant death.


Birds don't have lungs a diaphragm. They have a series of air sacks.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
apexhunter wrote:Like others have said, wounded birds are simply part of any hunting be it upland or waterfowl. Go buy an inexpensive pair of crimping pliers & use a section between the crimp holes (or the very smallest hole) and crush the neck. This severs the spinal column instantly rendering it deceased very quickly and there is no more pain & suffering to the birs. Or another way is to put the breast in your palm (the duck that is, not your hunting partner's) and wrap your fingertips around the meat and squeeze in with the tips, squeezing the bird's diaphragm- holding it for 30 seconds or so. This collapses the lungs & stops the heart resulting in a very humane and quick end.

OR- to the old Phil Robertson trick of biting the skull & crushing the brain- instant death.


Birds don't have lungs a diaphragm. They have a series of air sacks.

wut?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
apexhunter wrote:Like others have said, wounded birds are simply part of any hunting be it upland or waterfowl. Go buy an inexpensive pair of crimping pliers & use a section between the crimp holes (or the very smallest hole) and crush the neck. This severs the spinal column instantly rendering it deceased very quickly and there is no more pain & suffering to the birs. Or another way is to put the breast in your palm (the duck that is, not your hunting partner's) and wrap your fingertips around the meat and squeeze in with the tips, squeezing the bird's diaphragm- holding it for 30 seconds or so. This collapses the lungs & stops the heart resulting in a very humane and quick end.

OR- to the old Phil Robertson trick of biting the skull & crushing the brain- instant death.


Birds don't have lungs a diaphragm. They have a series of air sacks.

wut?

Birds don't have lungs or a diaphragm. Sorry Swamp forgot a word. :biggrin:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
apexhunter wrote:Like others have said, wounded birds are simply part of any hunting be it upland or waterfowl. Go buy an inexpensive pair of crimping pliers & use a section between the crimp holes (or the very smallest hole) and crush the neck. This severs the spinal column instantly rendering it deceased very quickly and there is no more pain & suffering to the birs. Or another way is to put the breast in your palm (the duck that is, not your hunting partner's) and wrap your fingertips around the meat and squeeze in with the tips, squeezing the bird's diaphragm- holding it for 30 seconds or so. This collapses the lungs & stops the heart resulting in a very humane and quick end.

OR- to the old Phil Robertson trick of biting the skull & crushing the brain- instant death.


Birds don't have lungs a diaphragm. They have a series of air sacks.

wut?

Birds don't have lungs or a diaphragm. Sorry Swamp forgot a word. :biggrin:

Well damn....I learned something new today....
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/3073/
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
apexhunter wrote:Like others have said, wounded birds are simply part of any hunting be it upland or waterfowl. Go buy an inexpensive pair of crimping pliers & use a section between the crimp holes (or the very smallest hole) and crush the neck. This severs the spinal column instantly rendering it deceased very quickly and there is no more pain & suffering to the birs. Or another way is to put the breast in your palm (the duck that is, not your hunting partner's) and wrap your fingertips around the meat and squeeze in with the tips, squeezing the bird's diaphragm- holding it for 30 seconds or so. This collapses the lungs & stops the heart resulting in a very humane and quick end.

OR- to the old Phil Robertson trick of biting the skull & crushing the brain- instant death.


Birds don't have lungs a diaphragm. They have a series of air sacks.

wut?

Birds don't have lungs or a diaphragm. Sorry Swamp forgot a word. :biggrin:

Well damn....I learned something new today....
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/3073/

:thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Broken Paddle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:
Broken Paddle wrote:Smak its head on any handy hard surface, gunwale, framing of the blind etc.


this always works for me. works for frogs, too.


Frogs were target practice behind the house at the frog pond with a .22 rifle when I was a kid, if I were to do that today I most likely would have the state cops, dep police & a swat team there.
Broken Paddle
hunter
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:50 pm

I'll ring a neck or crush a skull unless the bird is intended for the wall. In that case I squeeze the side pockets (where the wings tuck in) and suffocate them.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:12 pm

I usually just stone em dead. 1 shot out of the air, 100 yards away with 7/8 oz of TSS going 3000fps.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 3160
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: OHIO

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

thewisteron wrote:Lot of nice people on these forums. Lot of not-so-nice people too.

Anyway, I didn't think about the lead part of it. So that answers my question.

I do like the suggestion of a 4" piece of rebar or a small club. I'll try that. Thanks! (most of you)



retard :huh:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:42 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
thewisteron wrote:Lot of nice people on these forums. Lot of not-so-nice people too.

Anyway, I didn't think about the lead part of it. So that answers my question.

I do like the suggestion of a 4" piece of rebar or a small club. I'll try that. Thanks! (most of you)



retard :huh:

Says the canuck :grin:
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby t_baker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 pm

:no:
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby possumfoot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 pm

i usually us a tire thumper.. used to check truck / trailer tires.. should be able to find one at a truck stop.. works wonders.. but so does this...


click to play (i think)

Image
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 5237
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 pm

No dice
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5336
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Worked for me.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 15896
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 pm

beretta24 wrote:No dice

nope...nada....try again possum..
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Worked for me. Was there anything left?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby sampsonhuntin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Possum, that method works for winged geese at about 10 yards. Or so I've heard.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre


copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
User avatar
sampsonhuntin
hunter
 
Posts: 2622
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 am
Location: roseboro, north carolina

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby Underradar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I use a big ziploc bag. I like to watch.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
User avatar
Underradar
hunter
 
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Rut Coon, LA

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Underradar wrote:I use a big ziploc bag. I like to watch.


I think the fear and realization of death is.... Comforting!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
TrapperRob
hunter
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm
Location: Middle of Delaware

Re: .22 in the field?

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 pm

@
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
TrapperRob
hunter
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm
Location: Middle of Delaware

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests