New College football rule- Targeting...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

New College football rule- Targeting...

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:23 pm

just saw a Texas A&M player get ejected for the new rule of targeting. This is the first I had heard of the new rule. What's your opinion? Good rule? bad rule? are they taking safety too far?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: New College football rule- Targeting...

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Need more details on the rule.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 pm

beretta24 wrote:Need more details on the rule.

good read:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130723/college-football-officials-targeting-rule/
According to a handout produced by College Football Officiating, LLC, if officials see the following things, the risk of a targeting foul is high:

• Launching toward an opponent to make contact in the head or neck area.

• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust with contact at the head or neck area.

• Leading with the helmet, forearm, fist, hand or elbow into the head or neck area.

• Lowering the head before attacking and initiating with the crown of the helmet.

According to that same handout, the following factors would indicate less risk of a targeting penalty being called:

• A heads-up tackle where the crown of the helmet does not strike above the shoulders.

• A wrap-up tackle.

• The head is to the side rather than used to initiate contact.

• Incidental helmet contact due to players changing position during the play.

"We want you to put your head to the side, turn your shoulder into the player, and lower your strike zone, and if you do those things, there are going to be times when, just through the normal course of play, there may be some incidental contact," Anderson said. "We want to be sure we're differentiating that type of action from the intentional act of targeting a player high."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... z2daxzwI25

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby pk38 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Tha call against tx a and m was busch league
DU Chapter Sponsor at Morris Innovative High School
Hoping to bring duck hunting to disadvantaged youths
pk38
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

the penalty is ejection of the player from the game.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm

This is the play if you did not see it...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby pk38 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Indaswamp wrote:the penalty is ejection of the player from the game.
Q

Weak az$ rule..... Injury and death is part of the game.... Players deal with it or shut the blank up and get off espn interviews to try and drive up them and their lawyers payout (Jim McMahon)... i played D-1 football and risk is part of the game and inherent... UNdesrtand that NCAA and NFL.... Have players sign a waiver and lets go
pk38
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm

pk38 wrote:
Q

Weak az$ rule..... Injury and death is part of the game.... Players deal with it or shut the blank up and get off espn interviews to try and drive up them and their lawyers payout (Jim McMahon)... i played D-1 football and risk is part of the game and inherent... UNdesrtand that NCAA and NFL.... Have players sign a waiver and lets go

Because football is worth dying over :rollseyes:

I get there's inherent risk, but its dumb to allow people to intentionally aim for people's heads. The players are too big and the game is too fast. And it adds little value to the game.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:30 pm

beretta24 wrote:
pk38 wrote:
Q

I get there's inherent risk, but its dumb to allow people to intentionally aim for people's heads. The players are too big and the game is too fast. And it adds little value to the game.

I do not agree that the penalty should affect that player in the next game. the way it is, that Texas A&M player must sit out the first half of the next game. That is wrong IMO.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
pk38 wrote:
Q

I do not agree that the penalty should affect that player in the next game. the way it is, that Texas A&M player must sit out the first half of the next game. That is wrong IMO.

I didn't even know what the penalty was...game and a half seems a little strong, at least until they see how it plays out. I don't see college players risking it at all given how few games they play to start.

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:42 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
pk38 wrote:
Q

I didn't even know what the penalty was...game and a half seems a little strong, at least until they see how it plays out. I don't see college players risking it at all given how few games they play to start.

my problem with it is the subjectivity and the severity of the penalty. If you watched the game, the player in question hit the guy with his shoulder...he moved his head to the side.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 pm

BTW- he is only penalized for the first half of the next game, which I do not agree with.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Hard to see on my phone, guess I could go either way on the initial call without a better video.

Like said, I agree going into the second game is dumb, but I think the increased emphasis on safety is good.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:17 pm

beretta24 wrote:Hard to see on my phone, guess I could go either way on the initial call without a better video.

Like said, I agree going into the second game is dumb, but I think the increased emphasis on safety is good.

the problem is that a 15 yard penalty is assessed-even if the player is found to have given a clean hit by the replay booth....that's BS.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Gonna have to get rid of refs to avoid that...same issue with pass interference minus the ejection
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 pm

The pussification of America just keeps marching on.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:41 pm

assateague wrote:The pussification of America just keeps marching on.

Haha...thought you'd make your way around to this thread.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 pm

they have done something similar over here with rugby football, much less contact than your version but NO padding either. the shoulder charge has always been part of the game...two players heading in apposite directions one has the ball. the tackler drops shoulder and "rams" into the ball carrier (good way to slow down a big guy) now you can still drop shoulder but have to be seen to be "wrapping" arms around to hold ball carrier aswell or you get pinged by ref.
Ive seen guys carted off the field in a hearse before...not a good thing especially at school boy level
they are trying to make game safer as guys get bigger and fitter than ever before now the game is professional and the stakes are soo high if you are injured.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:07 am

In the A&M game I believe three players got assessed the/a 15yd penalty, one being the toolbag Manziel, and one player was ejected, all of this taking place in the 4th quarter. Not that the game was remotely close, but still.
This rule is going to cause a lot of controversy in a lot of big games.... :no:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 am

Did anybody watch that Iowa vs. Northern Illinois game? What's the deal with them calling like 6 sideline interference calls on Kirk Ferrentz? Apparently they're really enforcing that this year because they called it if he barely stepped on the field during the play.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby pk38 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 am

beretta24 wrote:
pk38 wrote:
Q

FIrst off, I agree no football is not worth dying over but it can happen...Players should understand this before taking the field.... It happened in Cobb during a scrimmage this year...... I also understand trying to protect players, but talks of removing the kick off, a new hit below the waste penalty... really.... Also big hits add a ton of value to the game why do you think people loved ronnie lott, love James Harrison, Patrick Willis... dur de dur.... To me these rules and the subsequent lawsuits are like someone going sky diving getting ptsd and suing the skydiving company 25 years later when they say they can't sleep

pk38
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 am

MODuckkiller wrote:In the A&M game I believe three players got assessed the/a 15yd penalty, one being the toolbag Manziel, and one player was ejected, all of this taking place in the 4th quarter. Not that the game was remotely close, but still.
This rule is going to cause a lot of controversy in a lot of big games.... :no:

Nope, one player was assessed the targeting penalty in that game-Deshazor Everett. There was a player on the Oregon team assessed a targeting penalty as well.

One of the most talked about new rules implemented for the 2013 season is the “new” targeting rule. Specifically, new penalties for targeting: if a player is flagged 15 yards for targeting, the player is either ejected for the rest of the game if the penalty occurs in the first half, or is suspended for the first half of the next game if it occurs in the second half.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:09 am

A short time later, Oregon’s Terrance Mitchell was on the receiving end of a 15-yard penalty following a brutal helmet-to-helmet hit on a sliding Nicholls State quarterback, Beaux Hebert. As that hit came in the first quarter, Mitchell will miss the remainder of the game.

forgot the link-
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/am-oregon-lose-players-to-new-targeting-penalties/

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 am

Here's video for the Oregon player:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:26 am

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole