Childproofing drawers....

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Childproofing drawers....

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Every mechanism that I've found allows you to open the drawer slightly and then depress the tab to open the drawer fully.
The problem is that my 10 month old "cruiser" will open the drawers enough to get his fingers in there, then fall on the drawer slamming his fingers in there.
We have lots of drawers, some of them are the larger ones that you put pots and pans in.....
Anyone know of a solution to this? I don't want to be drilling holes in my cherry cabs and drawers.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Childproofing drawers....

Postby LadyK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm

I haven't found any locks that work well without drilling into the furniture. But Safety First/Tot-Loc are magnetic locks that use a magnetic "key" (on Amazon/EBay) that would eliminate the slight opening of the drawer. They do have to be drilled into place. In the kitchen, on any cabinet doors, I just used a hair band looped over the knobs. They can get it open a little if it's not tight but it keeps them out from under the sink. Good luck! It's a never ending process at this stage. :lol3:
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Buy cheap furniture that you can abuse. Put locks on it or latches. When the cruiser finally gets old enough to tell no...get your nice stuff out of storage.
It wont be long. Then burn the cheap stuff.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Tinner4 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 pm

LadyK wrote: In the kitchen, on any cabinet doors, I just used a hair band looped over the knobs.

We do the same :lol3: With the drawers it seemed as though at first our little man got his fingers pinched but he hasn't for quite a while so I can only assume he learned not to do it? It's so fun when they're that age, a lot of work but fun watching them explore and learn!
Tinner4
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 pm

By 11 months he'll learn not to smash his fingers, sheesh, must be your first one
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby LadyK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Tinner4 wrote:
LadyK wrote: In the kitchen, on any cabinet doors, I just used a hair band looped over the knobs.

We do the same :lol3: With the drawers it seemed as though at first our little man got his fingers pinched but he hasn't for quite a while so I can only assume he learned not to do it? It's so fun when they're that age, a lot of work but fun watching them explore and learn!

Yeah, mine learned not to smash their fingers the hard way. :lol3: and they did in fact learn quickly. And are now old enough to get each others fingers in doors. Also, learning quickly why I'm constantly saying "doors aren't toys!". The only thing that has made me panic slightly is that first time they lock me out and themselves in a room. :lol3:
But mine are explorers and climbers. There comes a point that you just gotta let them get slightly hurt/scared before it sinks in that you aren't ruining the fun but trying to keep them safe.
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 pm

We just made sure nothing sharp of toxic in cabinets then let them have their fun. My boys would open cabinets empty out pots and go at it. Kept cabinets under sink latched with cleaners etc.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:02 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 am

LadyK wrote:I haven't found any locks that work well without drilling into the furniture. But Safety First/Tot-Loc are magnetic locks that use a magnetic "key" (on Amazon/EBay) that would eliminate the slight opening of the drawer. They do have to be drilled into place. In the kitchen, on any cabinet doors, I just used a hair band looped over the knobs. They can get it open a little if it's not tight but it keeps them out from under the sink. Good luck! It's a never ending process at this stage. :lol3:

Do you drill them into the interior body of the cabinet and drawer? Or is it visible from the face of the drawer?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby LadyK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 am

All inside. This is the Safety 1st version (less expensive than the Tot-Loc) but both use the same basic installation. This just had a better picture.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/toddlers-kids/child-proofing-safety/cabinet-locks-straps/safety-1st-complete-magnetic-locking-system-8-locks-1-key-hs133-4449506
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 am

Tinner4 wrote:

My daughter is a wonderful mother. My grandson Logan is trained . He knows what NO means.
He throws little whiney pouty fits rarely that end when you say...NO.
I am pround of him and his mama.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby 18javelin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 am

First kid we "protected " next kid we have realized we were hovering over the first. Lol. Keep em out of dangerous stuff but ya got to let em learn.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:02 am

18javelin wrote:First kid we "protected " next kid we have realized we were hovering over the first. Lol. Keep em out of dangerous stuff but ya got to let em learn.

It's not even so much about danger,....the kitchen is a L shape with access from two areas....all he wants to do is unload every pot and pan and bang them....I hate that
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:10 am

I was baby sitting my little brother (adopted) once. He was maybe 3. I fell asleep on the sofa. My mother walked in, asked where he was and I said "Playing". She found him in the kitchen, neck deep in a bag of flour. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:41 am

We removed all the dangerous stuff (cleaners, etc), emptied the top drawers of clothes chests, and put plugs in the elect recept. Otherwise let'er rip, they learn soon enough.
Some of my biggest days as a little kid came by strewing my Granny's pots and pans all over the kitchen and playing with them while she was cooking. She had a lot of patience with me, but didn't hover too much. I played with metal trucks and shotguns shells were my "haybales". I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't smash a shell on the sharp corner of one of those trucks just to see if it would go off like Papaw warned it would. I guess I was too worried about getting a foot in my hind end.
talltimber
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 am

That's why God gave us 10 fingers, real easy to tell who the slow learners are.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:04 pm

USE THE NEW PISTOL!!!! It will be the last time crusier touches a drawer!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:44 am

boney fingers wrote:That's why God gave us 10 fingers, real easy to tell who the slow learners are.

You're the one with Boney Fingers! :biggrin:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 am

AKWoody wrote:USE THE NEW PISTOL!!!! It will be the last time crusier touches a drawer!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Very funny......good one.
I actually let him get his fingers stuck last night...and he looked up at me like "ohhhhhh man....what's this? Get me unstuck"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 am

Slack Tide wrote:
18javelin wrote:First kid we "protected " next kid we have realized we were hovering over the first. Lol. Keep em out of dangerous stuff but ya got to let em learn.

It's not even so much about danger,....the kitchen is a L shape with access from two areas....all he wants to do is unload every pot and pan and bang them....I hate that

At my son's house, all the dangerous stuff is put away. Still there are those cheap locks that the cabinets etc can open sligthly. What they did, to distract him, they have one cabinet at the floor level that has old tupperware in it that has no lock. after a couple weeks he became bored with the whole cabinet thing. Rarely, he does revisit the unlocked cabinet. I suspect he pinched his fingers a few time in the other cabinets, because he never messes with them.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby LadyK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:03 am

Next time (if he does it again) throw in a firm "no touch" before you get him loose. He is learning at the speed of light, it probably won't happen more than a few more times. :thumbsup:
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 am

He is days away from walking and I suspect that once his is more mobile I think his points of interest will evolve.
In the mean time, I am simply going to take the handles off the drawers and make them flat faced.
My wife and I will be able to open them from the side, too heavy for him
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 am

Print off a photo of the boogie mans head and put it in the drawer. He'll open it one time.
It needs more cowbell.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 am

A wooden spoon works best for childproofing just about anything.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 am

assateague wrote:A wooden spoon works best for childproofing just about anything.

Yep. Little ones can't figure out how to get the dang thing out.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole