Is Cabela's turning into WalMart?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Is Cabela's turning into WalMart?

Postby rank duck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:25 am

Has anyone else noticed that Cabela's seems to be drifting away from their role as an outfitter for sportsmen and more toward marketing for yuppie-wannabe weekend outdoorsy people?

I've spent thousands (and thousands...) with Cabela's over the years on hunting, fishing and camping equipment. Used to be you went there for the kinds of things you couldn't get at Wal Mart or ****'s Sporting Goods. Recently I noticed Cabela's running a "Back to School" sale on clothing for kids. WTH?! I notice more and more soft crap for people that want to do outdoorsy stuff but don't want to get dirty or be uncomfortable.. and less and less selection in things like decoys, fishing reels, hunting/shooting accessories.

I notice they're running a sale on Fossil watches. Great. They also have a full selection of Duck Dynasty crap.

Now I'll admit to being old and crabby, but surely (Shirley..) it's not just me. (?)

Hey! You kids! Get the hell off my lawn!
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Re: Is Cabela's turning into WalMart?

Postby okduckdude » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:54 am

HA! Just look at Bass Pro! Talk about yuppieville...
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 am

True, but I think Bass Pro has been that way for a while. Seems like Cabela's has just recently turned to poo.

I know the Cabela's brothers are in their 70's and probably still only associated with the company in a figurehead type role. I suspect the young(er) hotshot money-makers running the company now have never gone hunting or fishing a day in their lives. Milner, who is CEO of Cabela's used to be CEO of Remington. Knowing how Remington's quality took a huge dump in recent years, one can only expect Cabela's to improve themselves into complete uselessness for the outdoorsman.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:14 am

The one closest to me (Glendale, AZ) is more of a tourist trap than anything. I can still get more waterfowl stuff there than anywhere else here in Arizona but I make the time to go on a weekday morning. It is a madhouse on weekends. Don't even bother with a shopping cart cause you cant get around with it.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:29 am

Do they have the Old smell of death door greeters? I love those folks I pull up a chair and share cheese with them before I go in to buy my hiking boots (for Office use only)
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:57 am

Damn them for following market trends in order to be more profitable. If only there was a giant store, full of anything and everything anyone cold want. If only that store was open 24/7/365.

Its a byproduct of capitalism. Sell to those with the most disposable income.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am

The Duck Dynasty crowd "New duck hunter" has to have somewhere to shop.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:07 am

If u guys also notice Cabelas has a lot of gear that has their name on it. A lot if companies dislike it because the Cabelas gear gets advertised a lot more.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:24 am

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Image

What is that graph? Volume of east west migration?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby gr8white » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm

^that was brutal
gr8white
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10 pm

jehler wrote:What is that graph? Volume of east west migration?

Keep taking the side of people who claim things like the Apps are hard for ducks to cross, and that they really don't do it at all.

It makes you look smart. Really, it does.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Image

A rising tide raises all ships....
Meaning, the QE from the FED and the buying from the "plunge protection team" is why the stock market has risen...it's not necessarily because the business growth for the company has expanded....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Idaho Savage » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I know all about this--in front and behind the curtain. Without going into it too deep, what you see is simply a public company evolving and reacting to the pressure of share holders, for better or worse. More "Cabela's" gear as it generates 2x or 3x the margin of branded manufacturer's gear, a wider marketing strategy and unprecedented growth. I really don't know, but I'm guessing the Cabela brothers are not even vaguely involved anymore.

Interestingly, some of their competitors are attempting to turn their Cabela's branded gear push against them. Field and Stream, for example (a spin off from ****'s) is aiming to build a museum-quality merchandising experience of only top-tier brands, sans an overbearing amount of their own stuff. I haven't been to their flagship store yet, but I've heard it's unreal in it' presentation of OEM brands.

The Walmart analogy is more accurate than you think--and I don't mean that in a necessarily negative way.

Good thread. Always interesting to hear people's perspectives on these things.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:

Keep taking the side of people who claim things like the Apps are hard for ducks to cross, and that they really don't do it at all.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:41 am

Shopped there a few times, Never did like the place. True test to a hunting/ outdoor store is if they sell Yankee candles or tennis shoes. I do not need to shop there.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 am

Idaho Savage wrote:I know all about this--in front and behind the curtain. Without going into it too deep, what you see is simply a public company evolving and reacting to the pressure of share holders, for better or worse. More "Cabela's" gear as it generates 2x or 3x the margin of branded manufacturer's gear, a wider marketing strategy and unprecedented growth.

This is Cabela's 2013 in a nut-shell. They went public in 2004. Takes a few years for the shareholders to really take control. Since then we saw the, for all intents and purposes, deletion of Herter's and many other brands (they stopped carrying many, many brands).

It is now all about the almighty dollar. So you see more and more Cabela's brand gear. The margins cause that (i.e. more profit).

I still buy many things from Cabela's, but I don't buy many high dollar items that carry the Cabela's name.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Medic4049 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 pm

My question is, "has anyone noticed that the promotion and wearing of the Duck Dynasty product lines reflect the spread of yuppieism?" I mean really. Look at most of the people who wear the t-shirts and buy the merchandise.....Now try to imagine 90% of them doing anything off the couch.

The thing Willy is a genuis about is he has made the family millions off the type of people that repulse them.
Medic4049
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Outdoorsmen usually go in with a purpose. they get what they want, maybe something extra that catches there eye and walk out. Yuppies tend to be impulse buyers and often price is no object.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 pm

ninethreeeleven wrote:
Idaho Savage wrote:I know all about this--in front and behind the curtain. Without going into it too deep, what you see is simply a public company evolving and reacting to the pressure of share holders, for better or worse. More "Cabela's" gear as it generates 2x or 3x the margin of branded manufacturer's gear, a wider marketing strategy and unprecedented growth.

This is Cabela's 2013 in a nut-shell. They went public in 2004. Takes a few years for the shareholders to really take control. Since then we saw the, for all intents and purposes, deletion of Herter's and many other brands (they stopped carrying many, many brands).

It is now all about the almighty dollar. So you see more and more Cabela's brand gear. The margins cause that (i.e. more profit).

I still buy many things from Cabela's, but I don't buy many high dollar items that carry the Cabela's name.

Thanks to both of you. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I still buy from Cabela's.. and I don't mind buying their branded stuff if it's a bargain to me.

What I don't like is the .. what I'll call.. the WalMart-ization of what used to be a store for outdoorsmen. It disturbs me to see the fluff being marketed, while the core sportsman focus being whittled away.

I understand the concept of "we're here to make money" but it seems like the Cabelas brothers did it while supplying outdoorsmen what they needed. What the hell is wrong with that business model?

Screw a bunch of MbA's, attorneys and accountants.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm

rank duck wrote:Now I'll admit to being old and crabby, but surely (Shirley..) it's not just me.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:

:lol: :lol:

how was your season last year??? ya'll have a banner year?? :lol: :lol:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 pm

ninethreeeleven wrote:

you should... because cabelas' honors a life time warrenty on all products that carry their name..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 pm

stuff is alot cheaper at wal mart. You pay more than you need to at cabelas because their sales people wear nice shirts even tho they don't have any idea what they are talking about half the time.

the worlds most foremost outfitter seems like it has pretty woeful selection as well.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:stuff is alot cheaper at wal mart. You pay more than you need to at cabelas because their sales people wear nice shirts even tho they don't have any idea what they are talking about half the time.

the worlds most foremost outfitter seems like it has pretty woeful selection as well.

You shoulda seen the store opening here in town. Why would someone need 4 rows of musky and pike baits in Louisiana?? :huh:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole