Duck Hunting Forum banner

Cast iron skillet question

2K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  greenster 
#1 ·
Found these in my grandmas basement any body got any info on them only markings are Wagner ware and 1108 on the griddle nothing on the pan

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The top pic shows a skillet that was made between 1924 and 1935.
The logo is arced and high. That helps identify the piece.
I found this by googling wagner ware.
The internet is your friend.
Start digging.

The heat ring was also a clue. So is the O and the Sidney in blocked letters.

#9 ·
OhioduckA5, use those items by all means. I use my griddle for cooking steaks, burgers and lots of other things, My favorite way to cook a Strip Steak is to heat up my gas grill, put the griddle on, get it good and hot, then put about 2 tablespoons of oil in, put the steaks in and cook until seared well on one side, turn it over and sear the other side. nothing beats cooking on seasoned steel, remember those good old fashioned hamburgers at the mom and pop stand well they were cooked on a steel grill. Use the skillet to get a burger to taste like mom and pops did.

#11 ·
great for cooking steaks as the heat is constant. great for cooking risotto, in fact mine is my go to fry pan.
dont clean them any more than absolutely necessary.
heat them up when clean and give a light oiling with cooking oil or fat and leave them coated(stops em rusting)
DO NOT under any circumstances let ANYONE put cold water near them when they are hot :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
they can shatter/split/break.

#13 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
I'll give you $15 for the whole lot.
Im sure you would :biggrin:

cluckmeister said:
OhioduckA5, use those items by all means. I use my griddle for cooking steaks, burgers and lots of other things, My favorite way to cook a Strip Steak is to heat up my gas grill, put the griddle on, get it good and hot, then put about 2 tablespoons of oil in, put the steaks in and cook until seared well on one side, turn it over and sear the other side. nothing beats cooking on seasoned steel, remember those good old fashioned hamburgers at the mom and pop stand well they were cooked on a steel grill. Use the skillet to get a burger to taste like mom and pops did.
I use mine all the time I made potatoes on my grill last night with my newer one. and made French toast this am on the griddle I love cast iron

#15 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
You pay shipping. I'll PM you my address. Nice doing business with you.
Wow not even a reach around on this deal lol.

#16 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
FINE, I'll pay a 1/4 of the shipping costs. You drive a hard bargain, but I'm still in!

#17 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
FINE, I'll pay a 1/4 of the shipping costs. You drive a hard bargain, but I'm still in!
Goodness. Did you go to the Assateague school of buying chit .

#18 ·
Those old iron skillets, and the new ones, aren't worth the trouble to keep them clean and seasoned. A good teflon skillet is much more useful and convenient.

#21 ·
Those Wagner griddles are extremely smooth (and accordingly can be a tough griddle to season properly). It will be the best piece of cookware you can imagine.

Whatever you do don't ever put it in an open fire to clean it. That's the very best to screw up vintage cast iron.

Can you take a couple of clear pictures of the back of the skillet, the pour spouts and a close up of both the top and the back of the handle? Many handles were distinctive and even the major manufacturers would make unmarked pieces. So there may be clues to its manufacture by shape. The flaring of the handle towards the skillet body already eliminates some manufacturers. Heat rings can give some clues to date and company.

There might be some light or small lettering that could have filled in with carbon over the years. You wouldn't know for sure unless you took it down to bare metal. But in this case I wouldn't because it already has years of seasoning on it.

I'd just clean the insides with a little kosher salt and warm oil. Wipe off the salt and re-oil if needed.

Normally I strip every piece I get. But since I don't see any rust or heavy carbon build up it's not worth the effort it takes. Just use them and enjoy.

Excellent find!

#23 ·
Underradar, Teflon and Aluminum, you have to be kidding, Sure they are easy to clean but the flavor just isn't there. Steel doesnt warp like Aluminum and lasts forever, I wouldn't trade my 12 inch 40 year cast iron for 6 of your aluminum ones, 3 boxes of Duck Loads and your best duck call. BTW the really high dollar Aluminum ones have a steel core wrapped in Aluminum. The object is to make the heat uniform like the cast iron ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.