Cast iron skillet question

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Cast iron skillet question

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:00 am

that looks very similar to mine...have to resist getting it out for a fry up...belly getting too big as it is :eek:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 am

Ohio,
Does the bottom of the handle look like this?

If so, then it's an unmarked Wagner pan.

Taking a guess based on the shape of the handle from the side.

It's not a Lodge as there would be a raised number on the top of the handle.
It's not a Vollrath since the handle would be scalloped and not ground out to the middle of the edge.
There are other brands that might fit it though.

You might find one small letter on the bottom near the handle if you scrape off some carbon - tried to show its general location in the photo (looks like an engraved mark).

Let me know if the photo matches. If not, I can post up some others - there are a few variation of their handles and you really tell the difference from the bottom.

Best,
Slow
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Bump for slow

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1380062183482.jpg
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: I'm borderline retarded .
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Doctors say the iron leaches into your food and causes insidious fatal liver failure. I will stick to teflon.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Underradar wrote:Doctors say the iron leaches into your food and causes insidious fatal liver failure. I will stick to teflon.

which if you heat up too much is carcinogenic :huh:
give me a good cast iron pot any day.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Underradar wrote:Doctors say the iron leaches into your food and causes insidious fatal liver failure. I will stick to teflon.

There is only one doctor's opinion I'd accept on the issue of teflon vs. Cast Iron. Locked&Loaded.

I challenge UR to a duel to settle this. 5 feet away.
I will let him throw his 10" aluminum "pan" at me and I'll throw my 10" Lodge skillet at him. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dave79 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 pm

My FIL sells a ton of cast iron skillets, dutch ovens and such at flea markets. He has a huge cast iron skillet with a crack in it. Has anyone had any luck welding them. It'd be a shame to see it get melted down.
dave79
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:54 pm

dave79 wrote:My FIL sells a ton of cast iron skillets, dutch ovens and such at flea markets. He has a huge cast iron skillet with a crack in it. Has anyone had any luck welding them. It'd be a shame to see it get melted down.

Unless there is some new technique I am unaware of, you can not weld cast iron, but you can braze it with bronze.

Buddy did this to a 15 gallon heavy wall black iron pot that had a 6" crack in the bottom of it from being dropped while hot. It worked to seal it and make it usable.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dave79 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:01 am

I'm going to see if he'll part with it for scrap price. I have a buddy that can braze it.
dave79
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am

dave79 wrote:I'm going to see if he'll part with it for scrap price. I have a buddy that can braze it.

ther is a specialty welder that posts up here from the Oklahoma/Texas border.....he might be able to tell ya what to do with it.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dave79 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 am

Would be nice to be able to fix it. My FIL probaly throws out around a few dozen cast iron skillets a year because they are cracked.
dave79
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 am

You can weld cast. You have to heat it cherry red with a rosebud on a torch then weld it. There are weld shops that can do it.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:You can weld cast. You have to heat it cherry red with a rosebud on a torch then weld it. There are weld shops that can do it.

You are correct. Once heated you have to use a nickel electrode.. And then once welded you post heat and let it cool at a slow slow slow pace.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 am

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:You can weld cast. You have to heat it cherry red with a rosebud on a torch then weld it. There are weld shops that can do it.

You are correct. Once heated you have to use the right stick. Cant think what it is off the top of my head. And then once welded you post heat and let it cool at a slow slow slow pace.

From Lincoln's website
Choosing electrodes for welding cast iron typically comes down to three things: cost, machine-ability, and whether the weld is single or multiple pass.

Softweld 99Ni (AWS class ENi-CI) is a nominally 99% Nickel electrode. Nickel is expensive, and so, therefore, is this premium electrode. The electrode will deposit welds that are machine-able, an important consideration when the casting is to be machined after welding. Repairs made with Softweld 99Ni are often single pass welds with high admixture. Even with high admixture, the weld deposit will remain machine-able. It works best on castings with low or medium phosphorous contents.

Softweld 55Ni (AWS class ENiFe-CI)is a nominally 55% Nickel electrode. The lower Nickel content makes this electrode more economical than Softweld 99Ni. Weld deposits are usually machine-able, but under conditions of high admixture, the welds can become hard and difficult to machine. It is often used for repairing castings with heavy or thick sections. As compared to Softweld 99Ni, welds made with 55 Ni are stronger and more ductile, and more tolerant of phosphorous in the casting. It also has a lower coefficient of expansion than 99Ni, resulting in fewer fusion line cracks.

Ferroweld (AWS class ESt) is a lower cost, steel electrode. The weld deposits are hard, and are not machine-able, but can be finished by grinding. This is the lowest cost electrode for welding cast iron, and the electrode has a very user-friendly arc. It can tolerate welding on castings that cannot be completely cleaned before welding. Ferroweld deposits will rust, just like cast iron. This may be important when repairing cast iron parts such as exhaust manifolds on antique cars.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 am

The cast iron table on a huge drill press simply slipped down the pole one day at thecmachine shop.
It broke and I was in a pickle. My boss said %#@$!...then decided we cant make it any worse so lets try to weld it. We both knew better but what the heck?
It worked and it got the stink off me. Whew! :smile:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice find!
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole