Black Cloud ammo

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Black Cloud ammo

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:48 pm

allow me to ask a [possibly stupid] question......is Black Cloud safe to shoot through factory chokes? I've done some googling and found mixed reviews, from "yes, it was designed for factory chokes", to "no, it will ruin a factory choke, you should only use one specifically made for BC"....

I like the Kent Fasteel, but I was given 2 boxes of the Black Cloud and want to be sure it's ok to shoot it (through a Stoeger 3500, if it matters)
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Re: Black Cloud ammo

Postby toolmaker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't know the real answer...but I can tell you I have shot about 20-30 cases of 3.5" 2's and BB's through a factory benelli MOD choke tube.

gun looks and works fine.........................ok it doesn't look that great, but it isn't from the shot!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm

a majority of replies say factory chokes are no problem...only supposed to avoid the wad-stripper style tubes, but I haven't found anything definitive.

these are 3", no3's, for what it's worth. I'm thinking it should be alright. of course, I may just sell them on facebook and buy a few boxes of Kents... :biggrin:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Black cloud leaves the muzzle in the wad. So why would it hurt your choke.
A statement from the federal site Q&A
Will Black Cloud work with my aftermarket choke?

Black Cloud FS Steel® uses the proprietary FLITECONTROL® wad-designed to leave the barrel with the shot to keep your pattern tight and get to the ducks quicker. For maximum performance we recommend using standard, factory chokes that do not strip the wad or reduce muzzle pressure. We are currently working with popular choke companies on new tubes specially designed for Black Cloud.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Boatman wrote:Black cloud leaves the muzzle in the wad. So why would it hurt your choke.

Black Cloud FS Steel® uses the proprietary FLITECONTROL® wad-designed to leave the barrel with the shot to keep your pattern tight and get to the ducks quicker. For maximum performance we recommend using standard, factory chokes that do not strip the wad or reduce muzzle pressure. We are currently working with popular choke companies on new tubes specially designed for Black Cloud.

Awesome. that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks :thumbsup:

GomerPyle
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

as long as there is no porting in the choke or barrel you're fine.

also as long as there is no wad stripper in the choke like said above (ex: pattern master)
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:39 pm

I bought a case of the 3" snow goose loads. Let me tell you, they kill birds. Great pattern at 45 yards sleucing a duck. Folded back the head of a canada today at 35 yards. 1650 fps, I put it right on its beak.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:04 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
Boatman wrote:Black cloud leaves the muzzle in the wad. So why would it hurt your choke.

Awesome. that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks :thumbsup:

the wall thickness on the wad for the BC is thicker than a normal steel shot shell. This allows the edged shot to squeeze through the choke constriction unharmed and without doing damage to the barrel.
BC is a gimmick shot IMO, but to each his own....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Indaswamp wrote:BC is a gimmick shot IMO, but to each his own....

That's kinda what I've gathered from many of the reviews but hey, you can't beat free

GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:13 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:BC is a gimmick shot IMO, but to each his own....

That's kinda what I've gathered from many of the reviews but hey, you can't beat free

troo dat!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I have used plenty of black cloud and others. I have seen no damage to anything except for the ducks that were well within range. I have found that all shells decrease in effectiveness for every ten yards outside of 30 yards. :oops:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I have three boxes of 12 gauge 3" #4's that I bought 1980ish that I bought for duck hunting you can have. It's free, will work great, and its lead. :wink:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:55 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:I bought a case of the 3" snow goose loads. Let me tell you, they kill birds. Great pattern at 45 yards sleucing a duck. Folded back the head of a canada today at 35 yards. 1650 fps, I put it right on its beak.

Goose season ended on the 15th there sir. Should someone be calling Mr. Green Jeans?
luie b
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm

luie b wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I bought a case of the 3" snow goose loads. Let me tell you, they kill birds. Great pattern at 45 yards sleucing a duck. Folded back the head of a canada today at 35 yards. 1650 fps, I put it right on its beak.

Goose season ended on the 15th there sir. Should someone be calling Mr. Green Jeans?

Hey Luie....Jay is in Canada right now... :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Fine through your factory chokes, but DO NOT shoot it through a patternmaster, wad wizard or any other lug or wad grabbing choke, you'll explode
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to The Honey Hole