Including Lost Game In Limit

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Including Lost Game In Limit

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Please, Mauser, for the love of God don't get Teague started.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:08 pm

If it's lost then how are you suppose to count it. When I do limit(which ain't too often) I'm counting dead ducks, not lost ones.
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:16 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
MarkM wrote:If it is dove I don't count lost ones for my limit. I shoot until I have 15.

Duck is a different story. If I can't find them on the water then I shouldn't be hunting.

Ever had a wounded one dive on you and then never come back up again?

Last week my dog was after one, it dove multiple times. Sam kept putting her head completely under looking for it. I even walked around for a good half hour trying to find that bird and for the life of me couldn't. It wasn't until a bit later when we all were walking around that hubby found it. He's in fact seen them grab onto a weed near or even under the bank of the river and just hold on so they don't float down, trying to hide. They can be sneaky lil devils. Last year she was looking for one that kept diving and we finally saw just the very tip top of it's head and it's eye and shot it dead (with weeds all over it was super hard to see it).
Tinner4
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Tinner4 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:
MarkM wrote:If it is dove I don't count lost ones for my limit. I shoot until I have 15.

Duck is a different story. If I can't find them on the water then I shouldn't be hunting.

Ever had a wounded one dive on you and then never come back up again?

Last week my dog was after one, it dove multiple times. Sam kept putting her head completely under looking for it. I even walked around for a good half hour trying to find that bird and for the life of me couldn't. It wasn't until a bit later when we all were walking around that hubby found it. He's in fact seen them grab onto a weed near or even under the bank of the river and just hold on so they don't float down, trying to hide. They can be sneaky lil devils. Last year she was looking for one that kept diving and we finally saw just the very tip top of it's head and it's eye and shot it dead (with weeds all over it was super hard to see it).

The first time Doc and I hunted together, he hammered a Pintail. I saw it on the edge of some flooded grass, and got on it quick. The duck dove under water, and it was muddy so I couldn't see it. I started kicking around the way we do to flush tight sitting pheasants, and it managed to get the bird. It was dead and only came up because the blade of grass it was clamped down on broke.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm

MarkM wrote:
t_baker wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The time I got in trouble I lost a teal...I didn't count that teal...it was gone. I looked and looked.

Later I shot my last duck, a drake mallard and guess what? It crashed right on top of that teal. Uh oh..I found it.
Now I got seven...oh chit oh chit!!! I could NOT leave that teal or I would have been ticketed for wanton waste.

Yeah...I got cracked for that.

This topic is a two edged sword so take it with a grain of salt.

False bottom gas tank.

Shove it down the leg of your pants and tell the warden that you sure are happy to see him.

Haha you have a thing for authority figures :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 am

Great feedback. Here's my next question: If this was imposed as the law, what would you need to change or alter to fall within the guidelines? Thanks again.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Underradar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 am

mauserfan wrote:Great feedback. Here's my next question: If this was imposed as the law, what would you need to change or alter to fall within the guidelines? Thanks again.....mauser

Nothing. Will not comply.

This is stupid. Suppose I lost a duck, and count it in my bag limit, then Jethro finds it, and puts it in his game bag, so he counts it, too. The duck is counted twice? What kind of Obamacare Federal Reserve Somalian Kenyatta law is that?
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 am

Underradar wrote:
mauserfan wrote:Great feedback. Here's my next question: If this was imposed as the law, what would you need to change or alter to fall within the guidelines? Thanks again.....mauser

Nothing. Will not comply.

This is stupid. Suppose I lost a duck, and count it in my bag limit, then Jethro finds it, and puts it in his game bag, so he counts it, too. The duck is counted twice? What kind of Obamacare Federal Reserve Somalian Kenyatta law is that?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am

Botiz630 wrote:Please, Mauser, for the love of God don't get Teague started.

Don't worry, it ain't happening.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby possumfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 am

my "kill" numbers would go WAY up.. "i think i hit that bird, better count it!"
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby dwr353 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 am

Yankees (you too Arkansas) should have to count birds missed in their bag limit too. Just send them on down to us, we will take it from there. :beer:
dwr353
hunter

Postby bighop » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am

assateague wrote:

AT, maybe you should reconsider and start counting like he does.

Would you have a Pintail now?
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:45 am

bighop wrote:
assateague wrote:

AT, maybe you should reconsider and start counting like he does.

Would you have a Pintail now?

A strap full I am sure.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am

mauserfan wrote: Do you include any lost game (game not found) in your bag limit?

No, because lost birds are already accounted for in the harvest management strategies that determine our hunting regulations.

In each of the models used to set hunting regulations, there is a "kill rate" term which is the "harvest rate" adjusted for crippling losses. Harvest rates are determined from band-recovery data adjusted by reporting rates (as estimated from reward-bands), then 25% is added to account for crippling losses.

So unless you are "losing" more than 1 bird for every 4 you bring to "bag", then your losses are accounted for.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Underradar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am

Lreynolds wrote:
mauserfan wrote: Do you include any lost game (game not found) in your bag limit?

No, because lost birds are already accounted for in the harvest management strategies that determine our hunting regulations.

In each of the models used to set hunting regulations, there is a "kill rate" term which is the "harvest rate" adjusted for crippling losses. Harvest rates are determined from band-recovery data adjusted by reporting rates (as estimated from reward-bands), then 25% is added to account for crippling losses.

So unless you are "losing" more than 1 bird for every 4 you bring to "bag", then your losses are accounted for.

That is not what I think about when I do not count a bird. I DON'T CARE! I am glad my world is not ruled by statistics, no matter how some people try.

Underradar
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

Lreynolds wrote:

holy crap that is high!!!!

20% loss is just sad..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Underradar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

possumfoot wrote:
Lreynolds wrote:

holy crap that is high!!!!

20% loss is just sad..

The Man is using his made-up estimates to keep us, and our limits, down!

Underradar
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am

If we could use lead there would be far less cripples and wasted ducks would decrease.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:46 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:If we could use lead there would be far less cripples and wasted ducks would decrease.

no it wouldn't.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am

possumfoot wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:If we could use lead there would be far less cripples and wasted ducks would decrease.

no it wouldn't.

Would too.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:49 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:
possumfoot wrote:

no it wouldn't.

Would too.

stop being obtuse!!

i can explain if need be though i'm betting alot of people could

possumfoot
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:51 am

possumfoot wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:
possumfoot wrote:

no it wouldn't.

Would too.

stop being obtuse!!

i can explain if need be though i'm betting alot of people could

I'm listening intently.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 am

The crippling rate of 1 bird lost for every 4 brought to bag was established during the days of lead-shot.

Review the table in the middle of the page at: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... xicosi.htm to recall how many birds we used to cripple and lose with lead-shot.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am

Define "established".
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby mauserfan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 pm

I think all would agree that it would be great to have that 25% for additional brood stock the next spring. Just think of what that would do to our overall duck numbers. And honestly, from what I have witnessed, I would guess that the loss rate is a bit higher than the 25% mentioned.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole