How much is too much?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

How much is too much?

Postby Eastin08 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

I've been out of a duck lease for 3 years now. I've been bumming hunts when I can. My question is how much is too much for a duck lease? Last place I had was amazing in my opinion. It was in Kaplan it was a pit blind in the levee of a rice field. Paid $3500 for a four man blind. Total birds killed that year was 502 for ducks. Give or take a few geese. Just hunted for duck season teal season was not part of the deal. What do y'all pay for a lease and how we'l do y'all do?
Eastin08
hunter

Re: How much is too much?

Postby greenster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Depends on the land. Hunted club in South ARK was 4000k Year lodge and 3 meals a day, tons of bird.. GREAT DEAL... $4000 for a few fields with 6 blinds no birds... WAY to much.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Eastin08 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm

I wish! If Arkansas wasn't 6 hours away! I might move there just for the duck hunting. All I ever hear about Arkansas is how amazing duck hunting is. I can hardly get a decent blind in what is called "Sportsmans Paradise" south Louisiana.
Eastin08
hunter

Postby Eastin08 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:45 pm

I do plan on making a trip to Arkansas this year for a guided hunt. Any suggestions? And the going rate for a great blind down here is around 5-6k. Decent blind is 3500
Eastin08
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 pm

you shot 502 ducks and about the same number of geese out of that blind?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Eastin08 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Indaswamp wrote:you shot 502 ducks and about the same number of geese out of that blind?

No no no excuse me. 502 total in that 502 we shot some specks and snows.
Eastin08
hunter

Postby ed m » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 pm

3500 on the east coast gets you a pit blind 40+ acres, maybe 40-50 birds a year,
i gave up on duck blind for $700 that got you 2-3 days of killing a season and thats 2-3 birds each hunt. but people still out bid me on it. i'm going back to the $25 hunt club and putting the rest toward travelling hunts
ed m
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Eastin08 wrote:I do plan on making a trip to Arkansas this year for a guided hunt. Any suggestions? And the going rate for a great blind down here is around 5-6k. Decent blind is 3500

If you are going to Arkansas check out Byers Farm on here.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 pm

ARK is no better than MO, MS or LA
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Eastin08 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm

If you are going to Arkansas check out Byers Farm on here.[/quote]

I saw the video on the site. Pretty amazing but prices seemed a little high. Not sure but thought I saw $375 a gun for a day.
Eastin08
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Eastin08 wrote:If you are going to Arkansas check out Byers Farm on here.

I saw the video on the site. Pretty amazing but prices seemed a little high. Not sure but thought I saw $375 a gun for a day.[/quote]
You have to pay for quality
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I saw the video on the site. Pretty amazing but prices seemed a little high. Not sure but thought I saw $375 a gun for a day.[/quote]
That's with lodging, booze, and some of the best damn prime rib I have ever had! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

I saw the video on the site. Pretty amazing but prices seemed a little high. Not sure but thought I saw $375 a gun for a day.

That's with lodging, booze, and some of the best damn prime rib I have ever had! :thumbsup:[/quote]

$375 don't last long when you pay for everything you'll have.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Re:

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm

MarkM wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

That's with lodging, booze, and some of the best damn prime rib I have ever had! :thumbsup:

$375 don't last long when you pay for everything you'll have.[/quote]
:huh: not sure what you are trying to communicate.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

:huh: not sure what you are trying to communicate.[/quote]
That it would be cheaper in the long run to go to Byers...

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 pm

MarkM wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

:huh: not sure what you are trying to communicate.

That it would be cheaper in the long run to go to Byers...[/quote]
that it would....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Eastin08 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Might as we'll save gas and money and do guided hunts in sw Louisiana. $150 a gun. I'm sure the trip to arkansas is worth the experience but until then I'll just go on twice as many down here.
Eastin08
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Eastin08 wrote:I've been out of a duck lease for 3 years now. I've been bumming hunts when I can. My question is how much is too much for a duck lease? Last place I had was amazing in my opinion. It was in Kaplan it was a pit blind in the levee of a rice field. Paid $3500 for a four man blind. Total birds killed that year was 502 for ducks. Give or take a few geese. Just hunted for duck season teal season was not part of the deal. What do y'all pay for a lease and how we'l do y'all do?

I know a club where the membership is ~$1200/season. Just guessing on that $1200 figure but I'm in the ballpark. It's about 75 miles north of BBHC. They have a clubhouse that you would be allowed to use as a member but there is one caveat...

The club members are only allowed to hunt weekends while the weekdays are for payhunters that stay for five days.
You'd get about 20 days of hunting $1200/20 days=$60/day. The club kills a total of approximately 2500-3000 ducks per season out of their two blinds. It's an option.

PM me if interested and I will provide a contact. I'm not sure but last time I checked they had two openings.

Once you are in that area...freelance public hunting is available as well. Don't give up so easy.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby glrizzz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 am

nOT ONE RED CENT! yEAH i KNOW FARMERS CONTROL THE LAND, BUT EXCISE TAX ON HUNTING STUFF (pITTMAN-rOBERTSON aCT) HAS RAISED BILLIONS OF $ FOR LAND & ReSEARCH.
Credit us for the numbers of deer, ducks, geese pheasants, & non-game species. I'll keep asking but I refuse to pay for our own wildlife...........
glrizzz
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:11 pm

glrizzz wrote:nOT ONE RED CENT! yEAH i KNOW FARMERS CONTROL THE LAND, BUT EXCISE TAX ON HUNTING STUFF (pITTMAN-rOBERTSON aCT) HAS RAISED BILLIONS OF $ FOR LAND & ReSEARCH.
Credit us for the numbers of deer, ducks, geese pheasants, & non-game species. I'll keep asking but I refuse to pay for our own wildlife...........

Read all of this one's posts. The $200-jon-boats one is EPIC!
Silicons and rivets corrugated sheet metal together. Uses 2x12's for gunwhales and a 1x4 for the bow...
I would just love to see one of these boats. What's the transom made of?
aunt betty
hunter

Postby bighop » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

aunt betty wrote:
glrizzz wrote:nOT ONE RED CENT! yEAH i KNOW FARMERS CONTROL THE LAND, BUT EXCISE TAX ON HUNTING STUFF (pITTMAN-rOBERTSON aCT) HAS RAISED BILLIONS OF $ FOR LAND & ReSEARCH.

Silicons and rivets corrugated sheet metal together. Uses 2x12's for gunwhales and a 1x4 for the bow...

Is this the guy selling them on CL with the payment plans?
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 pm

According to the some it's never yours :biggrin:. You never own it
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm

bighop wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Is this the guy selling them on CL with the payment plans?

I have been searching for that thread because the two are so similar...spooky. :clapping:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole