quit smokin

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:09 am

Lost my gun n my pack so I had to sacrifice something to pay for replacing my stuff.
Smoking keeps costing more n more. Recently a 40% increase.
Couple that with needing cash...made it a no-brainer decision.

Hasn't been easy but tomorrow is my one week birthday from quitting.
Its getting easier but I been leaning hard...on the internet.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!


Re: quit smokin

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:13 am

We helped a guy in Panama stop smoking. We were told that when there is a craving, the bran needs something. This guy really liked tic tacs. Every time he wanted to smoke, he replaced the desire with some tic tacs. We had our family mail us a ton of them from the US and gave them too him. About 50,000 tic tacs later, he had quit.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: quit smokin

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 am

Good for you AB!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 7899
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: quit smokin

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:We helped a guy in Panama stop smoking. We were told that when there is a craving, the bran needs something. This guy really liked tic tacs. Every time he wanted to smoke, he replaced the desire with some tic tacs. We had our family mail us a ton of them from the US and gave them too him. About 50,000 tic tacs later, he had quit.

I chew a piece of gum instead. Problem is, when I drink, I want a smoke. So I am going to hold off on drinking for a little bit.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: quit smokin

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:42 am

Smoking is a good thing to quit Betty. Good for you.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 15959
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am

Yeah. You gotta know what triggers the impulse to fire up.
Avoid the triggers. In my case...everything!
lol

:lol3:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby 18javelin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

I've been cig free for 13 years. Good job betty I gets easier but truly easier after 2-3 months.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: quit smokin

Postby TomKat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am

Good luck AB.

Its a very addictive habit.

I think it will take 2 years to really declare your self over them.
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: quit smokin

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

Good for you AB. I was a pack a day guy for about 10 years and passed 1 year cold-turkey on July 29th. It took me a solid 6 months of trying to quit but then I'd break down and buy a pack(usually after the bar) and start all over. I finally took a pack that had 3-4 left and taped it shut real well and threw it in a drawer last July. In case of emergency-break glass kind of deal. Then when I was out instead of buying a pack I'd tell myself not to and if I really needed one I had the emergency pack at home. Then when I made it home I'd think well made it this far, so I don't really need it. Everybody quits differently just saying if you fall off the wagon keep trying until you find what works. Good luck!
Omaha Clucker
hunter
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: quit smokin

Postby Underradar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 am

Your dealer will be sad. Maybe.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
User avatar
Underradar
hunter
 
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Rut Coon, LA

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:36 am

Omaha Clucker wrote:Good for you AB. I was a pack a day guy for about 10 years and passed 1 year cold-turkey on July 29th. It took me a solid 6 months of trying to quit but then I'd break down and buy a pack(usually after the bar) and start all over. I finally took a pack that had 3-4 left and taped it shut real well and threw it in a drawer last July. In case of emergency-break glass kind of deal. Then when I was out instead of buying a pack I'd tell myself not to and if I really needed one I had the emergency pack at home. Then when I made it home I'd think well made it this far, so I don't really need it. Everybody quits differently just saying if you fall off the wagon keep trying until you find what works. Good luck!

Uhhhh, I quit smoking tobacco in the 1900's.
This video should 'splain things. Thanks for the support!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:02 pm

:lol: I was kind of wondering how many packs you had to be smoking to make quitting be a way to repurchase your stuff. This makes a little more sense
Omaha Clucker
hunter
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote::lol: I was kind of wondering how many packs you had to be smoking to make quitting be a way to repurchase your stuff. This makes a little more sense
Think two to three packs a day and do the math.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 pm

That also explains a few things....... :lol3:
User avatar
trowlan1
hunter
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: North Augusta, SC

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 pm

trowlan1 wrote:That also explains a few things....... :lol3:

INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 pm

This is going to sound like semantics, but saying you "quit smoking" means so much more than "trying to quit smoking."

In my little informal study, over the past 30 years, when someone says they are going to "try", they might as well just keep on smoking. There just is no commitment in I will try. I have listened to friends and relatives say they are going to "try" and not one has succeeded.

Insert "try" into those marriage vows and see how that works. :yes:

On the other hand, I have several friends and relatives who have "quit."

Now the really tough part. Some who quit 15 years ago still crave it just like a drug addict, which I guess they are in a sense. Others though have never looked back and now recognize that they were that stinky person that they now hate to be near. :oops:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Rat Creek wrote:This is going to sound like semantics, but saying you "quit smoking" means so much more than "trying to quit smoking."

In my little informal study, over the past 30 years, when someone says they are going to "try", they might as well just keep on smoking. There just is no commitment in I will try. I have listened to friends and relatives say they are going to "try" and not one has succeeded.

Insert "try" into those marriage vows and see how that works. :yes:

On the other hand, I have several friends and relatives who have "quit."

Now the really tough part. Some who quit 15 years ago still crave it just like a drug addict, which I guess they are in a sense. Others though have never looked back and now recognize that they were that stinky person that they now hate to be near. :oops:
Thanks for saying that buddy. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby whitecotton » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 pm

woooo weeee, congrats to you!!!!! best thing you could have done..

today marks my 39th day quit.. I went from a pack / pack and 1/2 a day to quitting cold turkey in august after my birthday.. first couple days were not bad, about the 4-8 days I felt like the world had collapsed around me and my best friend had died.. it starting getting better gradually. now i'll think about them a couple times a day, but it only last a very short time.. cinnamon gum helped me out.. all other flavors made me want to smoke..

food tastes great again.. kinda like when you were a kid, or it is to me..

wait a few more days and you pass that smoker or get next to one at the grocery or walmart. it will literally make you feel like throwing up, or it does me.. a bud of mine was smoking near me today, and it felt like I could not breath around the smoke.. it sure didn't make me want a puff..


I as well had an emergency pack in my drawer that I kept for three weeks, and then chunked them. the driving by a gas station and not having to think about, :do I need some smokes"? not coming to mind sure is nice.. as well as saving $6 a pack..

also, internet is your friend.. read stories from other quitters, check out the forums. helped me a lot..

good luck, and may we both make it from here on out cig free... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
User avatar
whitecotton
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 am
Location: Miss Co, Arkansas

Re: quit smokin

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:52 pm

congrats on quitting...i smoked for 20 years, then quit for 2, then dated an evil demon witch from hell and started back up again for the past 2 years. i just recently bought some e-cigs and am planning to switch to those soon.

keep at it and do not make any compromises about it. none of that, one smoke is ok, stuff. good luck with it. $10 a pack is what i am paying.

when i quit for the 2 years, i had this 2nd grade student who knew i was quitting. i wrote the number of days on the white board and changed it every day. when this student would walk into my room she would first look at the board and then pump her fist and say yessss. i honestly didnt have the heart to let her down and it kept me focused on quitting. it kept me accountable.
Last edited by Professor_Leakey on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
Professor_Leakey
hunter
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: MASS

Re: quit smokin

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:congrats on quitting...i smoked for 20 years, then quit for 2, then dated an evil demon witch from hell and started back up again for the past 2 years. i just recently bought some e-cigs and am planning to switch to those soon.

keep at it and do not make any compromises about it. no, one smoke is ok. good luck with it. $10 a pack is what i am paying.

e-cigs make my mouth dry out horribly bad. Was going to just switch to them instead of smoking but said screw it, if I am gonna quit, I am gonna quit everything.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: quit smokin

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm

i know the e cigs may still be bad for me...but i did switch to them at one point for a couple months a while back...and i noticed i wasnt coughing anymore or hacking up nastiness. i figure i will switch to them and then quit the e cigs from there. i agree cold turkey is the best way.

how come it can be so hard to not do something. when you think about it, it should be simple.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
Professor_Leakey
hunter
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: MASS

Re: quit smokin

Postby MarkM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Depends on if it something that you have done for a while. Try to not sing along with the radio next time you are on a drive. Things you have done repetitively for some time are hard to break.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: quit smokin

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 am

Day 8 and 9 sucked. Sat around wishin...so I substituted booze. Bad betty.
Its 11 now and not a problem.
One day at a time.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9986
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: quit smokin

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 am

One day.jpg
One day.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oldfireguy, TonkaDuk and 17 guests